Caribbean Princess-British Isles cruise- Formal night dress

PDXNative

I've been reading conflicting advice regarding appropriate dress for men on formal nights for this particular cruise. Would a sport jacket and tie be appropriate, or is a suit be a minimum level of formality? Thanks for any help from those who have been on this cruise.

I've been reading conflicting advice regarding appropriate dress for men on formal nights for this particular cruise. Would a sport jacket and tie be appropriate, or is a suit be a minimum level of formality? Thanks for any help from those who have been on this cruise.

Sport jacket is fine.

Formal is minimum a dark suit and tie and at most dinner suit and black bow tie a sports jacket and shirt and tie is not classed as formal and anything less than this is casual. We have done 5 British Isles cruises with Princess and love the cruise but the standards of dress on formal nights for men, especially Americans, leaves a lot to be desired on one occasion at dinner a fellow guest thought a black t shirt and black trousers was formal with no jacket. It does in my opinion spoil the atmosphere of the cruise on Formal nights.

We did the British Isles cruise last May. We saw a few men with only a shirt and pants, and they were allowed into the MDR. But I have to say that, overall, the men were more formally dressed than on our other cruises, especially in the Caribbean. Not too many tuxes, but by far the majority of men were wearing a dark suit and tie. That's what my DH wore, and he was glad he brought it instead of a sport coat.

My experience on cruises out of Southampton are men to be more formally dressed. More men in tux and suit than in Caribbean cruise. Though there are still a number who are in jacket and tie. We will be on this cruise in September and I intend to be a bit more formal again.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know what nights are formal nights on the 12 day British Isles – Caribbean Princess cruise which sets sail on Saturday, August 05, 2017?

Best guess is Guernsey day, since you leave port at 2pm, and your sea day. If you have three formal nights, the only other one that makes sense is Invergordon, as that's the earliest sailaway.

One certainly wouldn't want to stand out as the "gauche American". I always wear a dark suit on Formal Night anyway. I realize it isn't really formal but, for the Princess standards, it fits perfectly. It's always nice to see a few in a tux though (although that isn't strictly "formal" either).

Our next cruise has 4 formal nights. We may well skip one of them.

There is always a mix. Like someone said, I see more people dresses up on the British Isle cruises than in the Caribbean. All the guys in our group will be wearing a tux.

Many people don't want anything to do with formals so they eat at the buffet. Do what you feel like.

If you have on a sport jacket and a tie. I think you will be dressed better then most and happy you did so.

Tony

My family did this cruise last year and had a great time. On the 2 formal nights I wore a long sleeve dress shirt, dress pants, and tie. My adult son did the same. Many men were similarly dressed so we did not feel out of place. Nobody in the restaurant said anything negative about the way we were dressed.

There were 2 formal nights when we were on Caribbean Princess for British Isles in May 2012. I believe we ate in the buffet those nights. I didn't see any tuxedos. Many trousers with simple jackets and ladies with knee and ankle length dresses. Enjoy your upcoming cruise! It's an amazing itinerary!