Camera to use in bright sunlight? Not specifically a NCL question but...

Gistfamily

I am cruising on the Getaway in April. I need to find a camera that i can use in bright sunlight? I used to use a Nikon D50 but i want to get away from that. all i see that are compact have a screen on the back which is impossible to see in the sunlight. Any suggestions? Chris

Fuji has a camera that is a little larger than a point & shoot, with the look of a DSLR, but the lens isn't removable. I think they call it the Fuji Finepix (I have the same camera but with a different name on it, I think GE). It has a separate viewfinder as well as the LCD screen, but you can't use them both at the same time, you have to toggle back & forth. It also uses regular AA batteries (4 of them)

The biggest drawback is the long time it takes to save to the SD card, although you can reduce the resolution and that may shorten the time.

I use the Olympus Tough camera, and it is incredible. It takes amazing pictures, and it's so durable -- and it's also an underwater camera (I believe up to 50 feet). It's so worth the money! It takes really good indoor/outdoor pictures, and has a bunch of great settings for mountains, beaches, etc.

I am cruising on the Getaway in April. I need to find a camera that i can use in bright sunlight? I used to use a Nikon D50 but i want to get away from that. all i see that are compact have a screen on the back which is impossible to see in the sunlight. Any suggestions? Chris

If you're used to the D50 but want something more compact, look at the myriad options available in mirrorless cameras. Most have an electronic approximation of TTL (through the lens) viewfinders so you don't have to rely on the LCD screen in bright light situations. Many mirrorless cameras have the same size sensor (APS-C) as found in most consumer-grade DSLRs and there are even a few with full frame sensors. You can even get specialty lenses for mirrorless systems - many pros actually carry a good mirrorless now as they offer absolute stealth in that there is no mirror moving with the shutter so they make no noise. If size is your biggest considerations there are many very small mirrorless cameras that use a micro 4/3 sensor.

Check out the Nikon P900 http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/compact-digital-cameras/coolpix-p900.html

I had screens also, the P900 has both a screen and a viewfinder. It also has an incredible 2400mm zoom. I bought it for our Alaska cruise because I did not want to haul around a bunch of lenses for my DSLR cameras. This now my go to camera

If you're used to the D50 but want something more compact, look at the myriad options available in mirrorless cameras. Most have an electronic approximation of TTL (through the lens) viewfinders so you don't have to rely on the LCD screen in bright light situations. Many mirrorless cameras have the same size sensor (APS-C) as found in most consumer-grade DSLRs and there are even a few with full frame sensors. You can even get specialty lenses for mirrorless systems - many pros actually carry a good mirrorless now as they offer absolute stealth in that there is no mirror moving with the shutter so they make no noise. If size is your biggest considerations there are many very small mirrorless cameras that use a micro 4/3 sensor.
I second the recommendation to look at mirrorless cameras. I too insist on having a viewfinder. When my DSLRs got too heavy to carry around, I switched to a Sony a6000. I really love this camera (and its viewfinder :) ). There are newer models out now.

Also, the digital photography forum here on CC is quite helpful.