How about an All-Canadian cruise itinerary?

DirtyDawg

Thanks to ashoor for getting me thinking. How about an All-Canada cruise? Would such an All-Canadian cruise itinerary interest you? It would start in Vancouver and work its way to Quebec City.

Vancouver, Victoria, Sachs Harbour, CambridgeBay, Resolute, Iqaluit, Battle Harbour, St. John’s, Sydney, Halifax, St. John,Charlottetown, and Quebec City.

Expedition lines sail the Northwest Passage every summer. And last year Crystal became the first "regular" cruise line to do so. They have another sailing scheduled for this summer, as well as one other luxury line with one.

You can search the Crystal boards; at least two passengers on last summer's cruise kept very detailed blogs of their own if you care to read them. Just know that for the fare for two people in the least expensive cabins on a NWP cruise you could buy yourself a nice summer cottage in the Mariitmes. Or a winter cottage in the Caribbean. Or maybe both.

Canada has cabotage laws similar to the US's PVSA, the Coasting Trading Act, and while exemptions are given in cases where no Canadian flag vessel provides the service, the fines are far steeper than the PVSA, so you would have to have a foreign port call. Crystal's North West Passage cruise this year called at Greenland, as this is apparently considered a "distant foreign port", even though most atlas' list it as being part of North America.

As fishywood says, these cruises across the NW Passage are extremely expensive, due to the permitting, and logistics for fuel and supplies, and in Crystal's case, a standby vessel. Also note that the Crystal ship that did the NW Passage is the only cruise ship of that size that is ice classed, which is a requirement of both the US and Canadian governments to do the cruise.

Canada has cabotage laws similar to the US's PVSA, the Coasting Trading Act, and while exemptions are given in cases where no Canadian flag vessel provides the service, the fines are far steeper than the PVSA, so you would have to have a foreign port call. Crystal's North West Passage cruise this year called at Greenland, as this is apparently considered a "distant foreign port", even though most atlas' list it as being part of North America.

As fishywood says, these cruises across the NW Passage are extremely expensive, due to the permitting, and logistics for fuel and supplies, and in Crystal's case, a standby vessel. Also note that the Crystal ship that did the NW Passage is the only cruise ship of that size that is ice classed, which is a requirement of both the US and Canadian governments to do the cruise.

If you asked, most Canadians would say that Sydney and St. John's are Distant Foriegn ports.:D

(That's a Newfie joke. ;))

If you asked, most Canadians would say that Sydney and St. John's are Distant Foriegn ports.:D

(That's a Newfie joke. ;))

With all the Newfie jokes out there (I worked a couple of years offshore Sable Island and on the Flemish Cap with a lot of Newfs), I'm surprised that Canada didn't push the idea of Newfoundland joining the US in the 1945 Commission. :D

With all the Newfie jokes out there (I worked a couple of years offshore Sable Island and on the Flemish Cap with a lot of Newfs), I'm surprised that Canada didn't push the idea of Newfoundland joining the US in the 1945 Commission. :D

LOL:D

The best Newfie jokes are the ones Newfoundlander's say about themselves. Even I wouldn't repeat some of those! :o

Hi there

Last summer we were on the one way Boston to Montreal (7day) cruise which was very nice. I guess if they dropped the Bar Harbor stop it would have been a completely Canadian trip. They could then add more Canadian stops. Our cruise didn't go to New Brunswick or Newfoundland, they could include stop there as well as an extra stop in the St.Lawrence. That would make it significantly longer, probably 11-12 day, but I would certainly look at going on it.

The HAL cruise that I was on could be combined as a return to Boston (14 day). If someone wanted do this as a return trip it would quite long. I think they would lose some potential sales there, unless they have some kind of land package designed. Arranging transportation for one way travel can be a nuisance depending where you are travelling from.

Thanks to ashoor for getting me thinking. How about an All-Canada cruise? Would such an All-Canadian cruise itinerary interest you? It would start in Vancouver and work its way to Quebec City.

Vancouver, Victoria, Sachs Harbour, CambridgeBay, Resolute, Iqaluit, Battle Harbour, St. John’s, Sydney, Halifax, St. John,Charlottetown, and Quebec City.

Why did you leave out Montreal? Sailing form Quebec City to Montreal or the reverese on the

St. Lawrence is wonderful. Charlottetown is one of my favorite ports, along with Quebec City, Halifax and Montreal.

Why did you leave out Montreal? Sailing form Quebec City to Montreal or the reverese on the

St. Lawrence is wonderful. Charlottetown is one of my favorite ports, along with Quebec City, Halifax and Montreal.

I was born in Montreal. Spent most of my youth there. Even though I've lived in the Toronto area for the past 40 years or so I'm still back in Montreal for business or family stuff on a very frequent basis. So it would be like vacationing in my back yard, :D