Cash for onboard account

Funinthesuntexan

I plan on opening my onboard account with cash since all our tips and excursion will be prepaid, plus we don't drink or gamble we are planning to pay a small amount down and pay more as needed....yet when I looked on the site it said a specific amount may be put on the account which I took to put it was recommended but not mandatory. When I asked my agent it said that they will negotiate with you on the amount that you pay when you get onboard but he also said he really doubted that they would turn us away regardless of how much we could put down. That sounds sort of iffy to me....so has any one really been not gotten on the ship because they didn't have have enough cash to pay on the cash account?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I plan on opening my onboard account with cash since all our tips and excursion will be prepaid, plus we don't drink or gamble we are planning to pay a small amount down and pay more as needed....yet when I looked on the site it said a specific amount may be put on the account which I took to put it was recommended but not mandatory. When I asked my agent it said that they will negotiate with you on the amount that you pay when you get onboard but he also said he really doubted that they would turn us away regardless of how much we could put down. That sounds sort of iffy to me....so has any one really been not gotten on the ship because they didn't have have enough cash to pay on the cash account?

quote]

oh brother

Just use your credit card and skip all this.

We always do cash since everything is prepaid.

7 day cruises - $300/person

Less than 7 days - $150/person

More than 7 days - $450/person

That's from NCLs site.

We have never had any problems and t works for us personally. Whatever you do - don't use a debit card. I can recommend that as someone who cruises and works for a bank. I just don't like to use one of our credit cards unless we're desperate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My SIL did cash. Her excursions and daily service charges were prepaid, and she had the dining plan and beverage plan. She put down 100. and they had absolutely no issue. She was worried that they would want her debit card, which she didnt want to do.....

We went to service desk upon boarding, they looked at her account, and then asked her how much she was depositing, she said 100. and reached out with the 100 bill in her hand, the woman took it and said thank you. That was it. On the last night, she had like 70.00 left, and they gave it to her in cash.

If you have a CC it would be much easier to register your CC at check in. Then you don't need to go to guest services to pay up until the end of the cruise. It is a really busy place on the first day, and best avoided!

Also the LAST day-night of the cruise is just as much a fiasco trying to settle accounts with Guest Services !

Well I might consider using a credit card although that isn't something we normally do. I know when we went through carnival giving the money when we went onboard was easy breezy and it was easy to get it back to, I just went that night before but I know every cruise line is a little different and I wanted to try a new cruse line, so I'll see how it all works out:). I'm sure it'll be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The last day-night of the cruise if the credit balance is over a certain amount a check maybe mailed to your

address on file. NCL does reserve the right to do this as cash for all the customers on board may not be

readily available at that moment to clear everyone's account.

Generally if there is a credit balance you will receive a letter in advance giving you an option to cash out

on the ship or check mailed. If you receive that letter you are within the window of getting the cash right

up front - BUT then you may have to go to Guest Services to wait in line to get it !

• Like 1

Remember that if you put down too little cash and you splash out you could be embarrassed if the transaction were to be refused. Imagine the scenario that you have decided to dine in a Specialty Restaurant with another couple and you don't have SDP; what happens if the amount in your on board account wont cover the bill.

The recommended $300 would be what I would do if I were not using a Credit Card.

I just got off the Epic and did Cash only. Everything was pre-paid. I just put what I wanted to on my account and there were no issues. I went back to guest services a few days later and put more money on my account when I decided to go to Spa for a massage. No issues.

I just returned from my first cruise on the Breakaway. When I went to the onboard account desk and told them I wanted to deposit cash for my account, I was asked "how much?" So I decided on $200/person. I actually had $47 left at the end of the cruise! 😂 So the amount on NCL's site is just a suggestion, not a requirement.