Birthday suggestions for Mother in Law

Hi,

We are taking my mother in law on the March 17 Navigator cruise. It's her very first cruise and it will be her birthday as well as my son's. I've booked our excursions, 5 night specialty dining package,and drink packages already. I also have her a little OBC from booking on the ship and our RCI card. Thing is, she's had a rough year, house caught on fire, anniversary of her mom dying, family issues, so I'm really looking to make it extra special for her. I'm looking for any suggestions on what I can do as a little "extra" for her. I thought about getting room decorations but I got that one year for my anniversary and I think they might annoy her after 9 days of it. So.... anyone ever done something different? I'm open to suggestions and you guys are so knowledgeable and creative! Thank you for any advice!

Julie

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It already sounds like you are going above & beyond.

Way more than I would do.....

Nah, she gave me my husband and for that, I owe her the world. Plus, she lives in TN and we live in Fl, so we don't get many opportunities to do much for her. My parents live one mile from us so I always have opportunities to do things for them, so it's only right I try hard with her. And I love doing things for other people. I'm very sure she'd be super happy if I left it as what it is, she's already texting me all the time how excited she is, but I just wanted to do something a little extra for her birthday to make her feel special.

It seems like you really love her, and that's a great thing to hear! What about maybe getting your nails done together (so it's just Mom/DIL time?). Or something like that. Just to create memories. Enjoy!

You know, that's a great idea! Thank you!

You could also take a look at the gifts section on the website. I always order the vanilla cupcakes as they're amazing but there are a lot of different things there that you could pre-order according to her likes/dislikes.

We are on the same cruise! How about a nice family photo. I have one with my kids and grandkids taken on our first cruise after my husband's death. I just love it and look at it all the time - happy memories not long after a sad time.

You can take several at different spots when the photographers are set up, and pick one you like. Or, some ships will do a studio picture.

I personally like lasting memories, and the photo was perfect.

We are on the same cruise! How about a nice family photo. I have one with my kids and grandkids taken on our first cruise after my husband's death. I just love it and look at it all the time - happy memories not long after a sad time.

You can take several at different spots when the photographers are set up, and pick one you like. Or, some ships will do a studio picture.

I personally like lasting memories, and the photo was perfect.

I'm definitely doing this. We get the coupon for Emerald if it's still the same that's BOGO 50% off and that'd be great to get a nice frame. My kids are getting older so that'd be a great way to remember the cruise and them being young. Thanks!!

You could also take a look at the gifts section on the website. I always order the vanilla cupcakes as they're amazing but there are a lot of different things there that you could pre-order according to her likes/dislikes.

Thanks! I looked there but just didn't see anything I really wanted to get her. But I think the spa day sounds like a good idea [emoji4]

What about a poster to put on the door??? Add a sharpie and ask neighbors of her room to wish her a happy birthday!

Something special for her and something she will have to remember her cruise with. I am doing that in February for my sisters birthday cruise!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What about a poster to put on the door??? Add a sharpie and ask neighbors of her room to wish her a happy birthday!

Something special for her and something she will have to remember her cruise with. I am doing that in February for my sisters birthday cruise!!!

That's a great idea!!! I knew you guys were creative! Thank you!!!!

Maybe cupcake decorating with your son? Age dependent.

Maybe grandma/grandson evening? Give her nice memories, and you an evening of downtime or "freedom". Show, movie, even dinner for them, just the two of them.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Forums mobile app

I could ask him, but it's his 13 birthday so I'm not sure he'd be a happy camper decorating cupcakes. He might surprise me though. Both of the kids said they wanted to take her to Ben and Jerry's with their OBC which I thought was sweet. But I'll be thinking about other things they could do together. Thank you so much for the suggestion:)

Does she have a Pandora Bracelet? If not, start one, or even a new one! Make it her travel bracelet. Purchase bracelet before you go and On first day, give her bracelet with cruise ship charm . Then at each stop give her another charm? Could add some others that are meaning full from grandchildren that they pick out. When she wears it and people comment on it, she will have those pleasant memories of great times shared!

We are traveling the end of this month with the in laws to celebrate their 70th birthdays this year. FIL's bday is the day we disembark so we've ordered a cake to be delivered on our sea day to celebrate. I also ordered everyone a drink package and booked the mystery theater dinner.

I adore flowers so that would be on my list, in the cabin on arrival. Also dinner at Chops on her birthday night. A cake at the table on your son's BD. Purchase a family portrait for her, give that to her on the way or at home, sometimes people get the post-cruise blues. And/Or a spa event, massage or facial. You could also bring her something small from home. bring a gift bag folded with you, and give a pair of earrings or better yet a book from one of her favorite authors to read while on the cruise.

Another thing I am doing for my sister is that some childhood friends will be meeting us on the cruise as well as a few cousins that she will not know about until we are on the ship

That is very sweet of you! I'm sure she's going to be so surprised!

You are very sweet and I think the spa idea is a great one along with everything else you are doing with her...but every older person I know when asked a similar question always gives me the same response....all they want is your time...so just spend lots of time together, make some great memories and I am certain she will be one happy lady...have a great trip !

Does she have a Pandora Bracelet? If not, start one, or even a new one! Make it her travel bracelet. Purchase bracelet before you go and On first day, give her bracelet with cruise ship charm . Then at each stop give her another charm? Could add some others that are meaning full from grandchildren that they pick out. When she wears it and people comment on it, she will have those pleasant memories of great times shared!

I just wanted you to know that this was an excellent suggestion I took! Went and bought her the starter bracelet with a charm for grandmother, one for mother, and one cruise ship. My husband wants to have her pick a charm or two on board from her own taste and to remember the trip. He said she loved charm bracelets when I suggested it, but she had never had pandora. Thank you so much for this suggestion!! [emoji4]