Are there any maps on cruise critic

southernshug

for the different ports and whats around them? Example.....we will be arriving in San Juan Puerto Rico and were going to walk to one of the forts. Are there any directions on how to get there perhaps? Or am I looking in the wrong place? lol

Any help greatly appreciated :)

I haven't seen any. Google Earth is what I use to check out the ports.

One warning about San Juan - everything is up hill from the dock area - wear your walking shoes!

There is a trolley that goes around; I'm sure it still runs. and, it's free.

I've found a few links to maps and walking tours in the various Ports of Call forums.

For San Juan, there is a tourist HOHO trolley that is useful if you don't want to make the long uphill hike to the forts. It has a map of OSJ, that includes the trolley stops and major tourist attractions.

http://sanjuanpuertorico.com/trolley-old-san-juan/

If you google a port plus self guided walking tour map, you'll often find what you're looking for. We used this walking guide on our last trip to PR (it's in 3 parts. Here's part 1):

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/old-san-juan-walking-tour-1/

Get yourself a guidebook! Most have maps...and LOTS of good info to really enhance your time ashore!

Why spend the money for the guidebook when there are so many free sources for San Juan?:rolleyes:

for the different ports and whats around them? Example.....we will be arriving in San Juan Puerto Rico and were going to walk to one of the forts. Are there any directions on how to get there perhaps? Or am I looking in the wrong place? lol

Here's a link to Cruise Critic's San Juan port profile. http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/ports/newport.cfm?ID=8

If you scroll down, below the 'Find a Hotel' bar, there are various sections you can click on, which provide port info, such as things to do, etc... Hopefully it's of use.

Check out Tom's Port Guides - http://www.tomsportguides.com/

DON

I will second the tip about it being uphill. We grabbed a map on an island a couple of years ago to take our own walking tour. It looked very close and the person at the desk gave directions to us. Easy, we thought to ourselves. Neither the map or the gentleman at the desk mentioned that it was UPHILL. My legs were BURNING before we got there. Took us TWICE as long to get there as it did when we left to return to the ship (downhill). ;)

I will second the tip about it being uphill. We grabbed a map on an island a couple of years ago to take our own walking tour. It looked very close and the person at the desk gave directions to us. Easy, we thought to ourselves. Neither the map or the gentleman at the desk mentioned that it was UPHILL. My legs were BURNING before we got there. Took us TWICE as long to get there as it did when we left to return to the ship (downhill). ;)

Which fort were you walking to? San Cristobal is about a 10 minute walk from the ship. Yes, uphill, but just take it easy. From there, you can catch the trolley to El Morro. Trying to catch the trolley at the port is usually an exercise in frustration. Too many people; too few trolleys.