Nickname on Reservation

zekekelso

The name on the government issued ID is supposed to be match to the name on the booking. Sometimes a diminutive (Sam for Samuel) may be overlooked because it looks like an input error. You should call the booking agent or customer service number on the confirmation to have it changed, and to avoid any administrative fees.(The chance of fees depends on what type of booking it is.)

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app

I would log in and try to change it on the carnival site, if it doesn't work then I would call. I doubt they will give you a hard time or charge you as you are simply putting in your correct/legal first name.

This, it is easy to change the spelling on your name if you log in. If you cannot get it done, just call Carnival. They will not charge you $50 to correct your name to your legal spelling. Not sure why some here quote restrictions that do not apply. :confused: Any $50 fee is to swap passengers, not to correct spelling issues.

I know, I have had to do this before.

I would log in and try to change it on the carnival site, if it doesn't work then I would call. I doubt they will give you a hard time or charge you as you are simply putting in your correct/legal first name.

They absolutely charged me $50 and had no problem doing it. I tried online but it would not let me do it. I've been on 15 cruises and never had an issue and then my mother in laws name was put in under her nickname (JoAnn) instead of real name (Josephine). $50 bucks, but no hassle to get on. They told us she would NOT be able to board with it the wrong way.

They absolutely charged me $50 and had no problem doing it. I tried online but it would not let me do it. I've been on 15 cruises and never had an issue and then my mother in laws name was put in under her nickname (JoAnn) instead of real name (Josephine). $50 bucks, but no hassle to get on. They told us she would NOT be able to board with it the wrong way.

That's a shame. You shouldn't have been charged. You weren't changing passengers, you were doing a name correction. It could have been done by yourself online for free, or through your PVP if you had one, or by simply calling the 800 number back and getting a different rep.

I have even had the airlines do it no charge. I booked a flight for a family member and spelled his name "Phillip" only to find out later that it was "Philip". They had to cancel and reissue the ticket, but did so with no penalty. This was American Airlines.

Unfortunate that it happened but JoAnn isn't a common nickname for Josephine. Not a simple name change or spelling change. Our last name gets misspelled constantly (letters transposed) haven't had an issue yet.

Unfortunate that it happened but JoAnn isn't a common nickname for Josephine. Not a simple name change or spelling change. Our last name gets misspelled constantly (letters transposed) haven't had an issue yet.

They told me the actual name had nothing to do with it. Customs may not allow you in if it is not exactly the way it is on your passport. It's not Carnival, it's customs. We called back and spoke to someone different and were told the same thing. It was not worth arguing over $50 to possibly have an elderly person get all caught up in customs (or anyone for that matter). We paid it and moved on with our life and had a great cruise.

They told me the actual name had nothing to do with it. Customs may not allow you in if it is not exactly the way it is on your passport. It's not Carnival, it's customs. We called back and spoke to someone different and were told the same thing. It was not worth arguing over $50 to possibly have an elderly person get all caught up in customs (or anyone for that matter). We paid it and moved on with our life and had a great cruise.

You are absolutely right that the name had to match. What I'm saying is that Carnival should not have charged you $50. It could have been done for free even by yourself.

This is their policy, sadly most Reps aren't up to speed. That's why I hate calling them.

Name Changes

Change and/or correction of first name and there is no change to the guest’s birth date

Cruise-Only: Service Charge does not apply

Fly2Fun Flexible and Restricted = call Travel Services; airline may charge a fee for correction

Change and/or correction of last name and there is no change to the guest’s birth date

Cruise-Only: Service Charge does not apply

Fly2Fun Flexible and Restricted =*call Travel Services; airline may charge a fee for correction

Name Change and change to the guest’s birth date (a new guest)

This change is considered a partial cancellation for Cruise-Only and Fly2Fun bookings

Cancel guest and applicable cancellation penalty applies; for Fly2Fun Restricted, air is non-refundable

Add new guest at prevailing rates including new air rates, if applicable

Note: For Early Saver bookings, the deposit is non-refundable at time of booking; within penalty phase, applicable cancellation penalty will apply.

You are absolutely right that the name had to match. What I'm saying is that Carnival should not have charged you $50. It could have been done for free even by yourself.

You're right, they really shouldn't have charged but it could not have been done free from me because I tried. I went online and was not able to change it unfortunately. It was too close to the sailing date. Rules are rules I guess.

You're right, they really shouldn't have charged but it could not have been done free from me because I tried. I went online and was not able to change it unfortunately. It was too close to the sailing date. Rules are rules I guess.

If you ever have an issue like that again, call back and get someone else who knows what they are doing. Or better yet, book with a PVP from the get go.