Southamptom/London

dfdub

Wife and I booked a cruise terminating in Southampton and thought we would like to spend a couple of days in London sightseeing.

Anyone have any good suggestions on transportation from Southampton to London?? Must see sights in London?? Nice hotels?? How about good suggestions to get from Downtown London to Heathrow??

Appreciate the suggestions and "Thank You" in advance

Heathrow Express is one option to get to the airport. Premier Inn offers some more affordable hotel choices. We stayed by Waterloo station and really liked the location. I really liked the British Museum and the artifacts there; they also had a nice afternoon tea in their cafe. Tower of London and the Crown Items are interesting, as is Buckingham Palace.

We simply used a car service to get to and from London sharing the cost with another family from our roll call.

Wife and I booked a cruise terminating in Southampton and thought we would like to spend a couple of days in London sightseeing.

Anyone have any good suggestions on transportation from Southampton to London?? Must see sights in London?? Nice hotels?? How about good suggestions to get from Downtown London to Heathrow??

Appreciate the suggestions and "Thank You" in advance

This company is great for transfers.

http://www.woodfordchauffeurcars.co.uk/

I have used a private car service www.justairports.com from LHR to London hotel and hotel to LHR. Use hotel post code to get a quote, per car.

I have stayed at Premier Inn Waterloo, close to Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Thamas River, London Eye, Parliament, restaurants, pubs, Hop On Hop Off bus, tube, regular bus, Waterloo train station.

Also stayed at Park Plaza Westminster, one block in front of Premier Inn Waterloo.

Can stay in the Victoria area for hotel, near Buckingham Palace, The Mews, The Mall, restaurants, pubs, HOHO, regular bus, tube, Victoria train station, National Express Coach station.

Check out www.booking.com for hotels.

Cruise line will offer transfer from Southampton to Victoria Coach station.

You can take National Express Coach www.nationalexpress.com from Southampton Coach station (short taxi under £10 from port to coach station) to Victoria Coach station (London) then to your hotel.

I have taken www.internationalfriends.co.uk (only goes on embarkment and disembarkment days). They have a couple tours (1- to Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, 2- to Bath, Cotswold), a great way to see other parts of England on your way to London. They drop you off at certain London hotels, or LHR hotels.

You can take train (short taxi under £10) from port to Southampton train station to London Waterloo train station, then to your hotel (if Premier Inn Waterloo can walk). www.nationalrail.co.uk or www.megabus.com

Here are some site -

www.londontoolkit.com

Tower of London - www.hrp.org.uk/tower-of-London

London Eye - www.londoneye.com

Westminster Abbey - www.westminster-abbey.org

Hop On Hop Off - www.theorginaltours.com

Buckingham Palace - www.royalcollection.org.uk

Parliament - www.parliament.uk

Day coach tours - www.evenevens.com

- www.discount-londontours.com

Check Cruise Critic - Port of Call - Britain, a great place to get information.

Edited by phabric

Phabric has given some great links and advice

The train is the easiest route to london - although with lots of luggage might be best using the national express bus or a private transfer.

When in London - accommodation is generally expensive but www.premierinn.com offer great budget accommodation in very good locations, most have been recently built, and the breakfasts are legendary!. I use premier inn for leisure and business trips in the UK and every one has been excellent.

Regarding sightseeing - the HoHo bus tours are good value as are the river cruises, most museums (natural history museum is amazing!) are free, as for paid attractions and I would definately visit Buckingham Palace (do a tour if available), shakespeares Globe Theatre and The Tower of London. Oh and Shopping too on Oxford Street Regent Street and of course a visit to Harrods department store in Knightsbridge. if you have time visit the parks too Regents Park and Hyde Park.

happy to answer any questions you have

If using the train make sure you get the train to WATERLOO not the one to VICTORIA. The latter takes twice as long, I'll admit possibly more scenic!! However it stops at Gatwick Airport and will probably be crowded from then on.