NCL Dawn - Southern Caribbean from San Juan

twotippy

Silly question but what is a taxi form?

After you collect your bags at the carousel and exit, you'll see the line for taxi's. A dispatcher will ask you where you are going and then write the price on a form and tell you which taxi is yours. The price is based off a "zone system" plus # of passengers/luggage. It's nice as you know the price up front, so no worry of a cabbie taking you for a "ride". Please tip appropriately, I've found most to be hard working, personable and full of good info!!

After you collect your bags at the carousel and exit, you'll see the line for taxi's. A dispatcher will ask you where you are going and then write the price on a form and tell you which taxi is yours. The price is based off a "zone system" plus # of passengers/luggage. It's nice as you know the price up front, so no worry of a cabbie taking you for a "ride". Please tip appropriately, I've found most to be hard working, personable and full of good info!!

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

We cruised on the Dawn June 9-16. It was our 2nd cruise on her, first after refurbished. We love this ship. We have never cruised on a mega ship before. We like the intimacy of the Dawn. There weren't any issues that we were aware of. Would cruise onnher again in a heartbeat. Enjoy!

I know that almost 6 months out is still a long time, but having never cruised on the Dawn, does anyone have any specialty restaurant menus or dailies (especially for port days). Is there enough to do on a port day if you don't leave the ship? 1st time on Dawn on 1/7/18.

I know that almost 6 months out is still a long time, but having never cruised on the Dawn, does anyone have any specialty restaurant menus or dailies (especially for port days). Is there enough to do on a port day if you don't leave the ship? 1st time on Dawn on 1/7/18.

Check out beyondships or do a search on this Forum as all of the specialty restaurants can be found on CC. The Dawn has all of the same restaurants and menus as the other NCL ships with the exception of Bayamo which is new and only on the Dawn. Everyone recommends the table side made guacamole and the skirt steak.

I liked the Dawn. We did get an offer to bid on a Haven category cabin and got one of the 2 BR suites. I really liked that room. There were only 2 of us but having the 2nd very small BR to store things in was great!!! Also like a few of the extra perks. We don't hang out much around the pool so can't say much about that. No complaints!

Check out beyondships or do a search on this Forum as all of the specialty restaurants can be found on CC. The Dawn has all of the same restaurants and menus as the other NCL ships with the exception of Bayamo which is new and only on the Dawn. Everyone recommends the table side made guacamole and the skirt steak.

Bayamo is on the Escape. The Mexican restaurant on the Dawn is Los Lobos.

Bayamo is on the Escape. The Mexican restaurant on the Dawn is Los Lobos.

Thanks. Too many darn cruises booked that they are starting to blend in. I have Escape on the brain as we will be on her in 40 days and then on the Dawn for NYE.

We are on this cruise as well. Cant wait! Saw something about traffic to the terminal. Is it really that bad?

We are on this one also. Great rates if you were able to book when the had the 3rd and 4th passenger free offer.

First time I ever saw that on a holiday cruise.

We are on this cruise as well. Cant wait! Saw something about traffic to the terminal. Is it really that bad?

We sailed on the Celebrity Summit out of San Juan a few years ago for a New Year cruise and traffic was a non-issue. People can start boarding at 11 am and the ship does not depart until 8 pm, so there are twice as many hours to board, thus thinning out the number of people boarding all at one time. That plus it is a smaller ship than many of the megaships nowadays. The one thing that we keep hearing is that the Dawn will be using the dock on the opposite side of the bay in Old San Juan and not the Pan American pier, where most ships embark and disembark when not stopping in San Juan for a day visit. This may mean traffic is different, but still, permitting boarding for 9 hours instead of the usual 5 should help thin out the crowds.

See you aboard on December 28th.

Glad I found this thread! In the past year we've been on Getaway, Epic, and Escape. With an outstanding CAS certificate plus Cruise Next we decided on Dawn out of San Juan 12/10/17. Booked the cruise today, airline tickets this evening. We're flying down the day prior so now looking into hotel suggestions in San Juan.

• 2 weeks later...
For those of you who have flown into San Juan recently, do you still get a taxi form from the agent in the baggage area?

Hi Pmelba,

Yes, you still do that. Sometimes the line looks long but it didn't take but 15 minutes to catch a cab. We were in San Juan (2nd time) in March but on Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas, but we have been on the Dawn before but out of New Orleans. And that was before the refurb. :-)

Diane

Good question! I was wondering the same!

:confused:

Hi,

The Taxi Form is just a form they fill out for you before you catch your cab as the taxis are regulated. So there will be many different taxi companies sitting out there and they just line up and the taxi people who are directing it all, fill out the form and ask you where you are going, then write down what the fare will be so you don't get ripped off. They have set rates from the different zones around the area. It's to keep the taxi drivers honest, I guess.

I just booked this for December 6, 2018 as a retirement gift to myself! I was very excited to find this thread. Neither my hubby nor I have ever been to the Southern Caribbean so we are looking forward to visiting all the new ports! Thanks for the great info thus far...

~Joanne

I just booked this for December 6, 2018 as a retirement gift to myself! I was very excited to find this thread. Neither my hubby nor I have ever been to the Southern Caribbean so we are looking forward to visiting all the new ports! Thanks for the great info thus far...

~Joanne

Joanne,

You are in for a treat! It's a fabulous itinerary. It'll be our 2nd time for this itinerary, 2nd time on this ship but different itinerary and before it was refurbushed.

~~Diane

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
I'm booked for the Dawn again third time and looking forward to seeing her look!

I guess you call it the re-positioning cruise when they change ports from San Juan to Tampa? Now the one way tickets with connecting flights might scare me but it will all be worth it.

Hubby and I are booked on this cruise as well. Just 145 more days to go [emoji322][emoji322][emoji322]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We booked La Terrazza de San Juan. I can't officially recommend it, because I have never been there, but it looks cool and gets good TA reviews.

Word of warning, if at all possible, I would give them a call to very your reservation. We booked "La Terraza" thru a 3rd party site for our Dawn cruise Jan 7th, 2018.

My sister was in San Jaun this past November on another cruise and went to check out the hotel for us. When the hotel checked my reservation, they said they would not honour my reservation, and if I wanted to stay there, I would have to pay an additional $350 a night. By the way, my reservation was paid in full.

Upon further investigation, I have now read several reviews of when a person goes to check in, the hotel has either over sold their rooms and does not have any rooms for you when you try to check in, or of the hotel demanding more money, or the hotel cancelling reservations weeks prior to your arrival date.

We too thought La Terraza look amazing, but have sinced booked AC Hotel by Marriot because I would not give in to their tactic of asking for further cash.

Word of warning, if at all possible, I would give them a call to very your reservation. We booked "La Terraza" thru a 3rd party site for our Dawn cruise Jan 7th, 2018.

My sister was in San Jaun this past November on another cruise and went to check out the hotel for us. When the hotel checked my reservation, they said they would not honour my reservation, and if I wanted to stay there, I would have to pay an additional $350 a night. By the way, my reservation was paid in full.

Upon further investigation, I have now read several reviews of when a person goes to check in, the hotel has either over sold their rooms and does not have any rooms for you when you try to check in, or of the hotel demanding more money, or the hotel cancelling reservations weeks prior to your arrival date.

We too thought La Terraza look amazing, but have sinced booked AC Hotel by Marriot because I would not give in to their tactic of asking for further cash.

That doesn't sound good! Here's hoping for better luck!

• 4 weeks later...

We are on the first Dawn sailing out of Puerto Rico on 11/12. I noticed that our eDocs are available. On the eDocs, it says we will be using the Pan American Dock East, not Pier 4 West like we were told/emailed.

This may change, but I thought I'd pass it along to anyone in case they wanted to take it into consideration for hotel purposes.

We are on the first Dawn sailing out of Puerto Rico on 11/12. I noticed that our eDocs are available. On the eDocs, it says we will be using the Pan American Dock East, not Pier 4 West like we were told/emailed.

This may change, but I thought I'd pass it along to anyone in case they wanted to take it into consideration for hotel purposes.

Thanks brookie848! This just may be one of those mysteries that stays a mystery until the day we actually see the ship docked in either Pier 4 West or Pan Am East. We are on the 11/19 sailing.

Well that is disappointing. I was doubtful it was going to be the pier right in town when no ships were using the Pan American pier and that is the one that is used for embarkation and disembarkation usually. We are on the New Year cruise on the Dawn. I will keep hoping for the pier in downtown San Juan, but expecting the Pan American. That way I will not be disappointed. Thanks for letting us know.

This happened to us last Nov. We were told by our group guy that it was Pier 4 which I love that pier and its easy access. When our docs came out it was Pan Am.....and it stayed that way. There is only one way in and one way out for EVERYONE!!!! It took about 45mins to get down the street to get to the cruise ship. We sail in Dec this year on the Dawn and have already been told Pam AM.....Ugh! Leave your hotel early.