$7.95 Room Service Charge

And here is RCL's reply.

Effective December 9, 2017, Drink Packages will NOT be honored in the Main Dining Room as well as the following venues onboard Harmony of the Seas: Boot & Bonnet Pub, Boleros, Cafe Promenade,Sorrentos, Rising Tide Bar, Bionic Bar, Schooners, Sky Bar, Trellis Bar, and all specialty restaurants.

Once onboard, please consult your cruise compass for listing of bars, stocked with bargain basement brands, where your Drink Package will still be honored.

We are making this change in response to the demand for Drink Packages, to improve and enhance your drinking experience.

Hey, at least they are giving you more than 2 weeks notice about the change to your drink package.

CB

That's good to know, I'll just have to smuggle more booze onboard so I can hog a few chairs and cut in line at all the venues.

And here is RCL's reply.

Effective December 9, 2017, Drink Packages will NOT be honored in the Main Dining Room as well as the following venues onboard Harmony of the Seas: Boot & Bonnet Pub, Boleros, Cafe Promenade,Sorrentos, Rising Tide Bar, Bionic Bar, Schooners, Sky Bar, Trellis Bar, and all specialty restaurants.

Once onboard, please consult your cruise compass for listing of bars, stocked with bargain basement brands, where your Drink Package will still be honored.

We are making this change in response to the demand for Drink Packages, to improve and enhance your drinking experience.

Hey, at least they are giving you more than 2 weeks notice about the change to your drink package.

CB

This part sucks more than the room service.. You can basically get drinks with your package at like one bar..

And here is RCL's reply.

CB

^ that needs its own thread.

This part sucks more than the room service.. You can basically get drinks with your package at like one bar..

Um, I thought it was obvious that my post was a tongue-in-cheek reply to Punchy, who wasn't upset about the room service change.

His posts show he is sailing on Harmony on December 19, 2017 so this would impact him.

That's good to know, I'll just have to smuggle more booze onboard so I can hog a few chairs and cut in line at all the venues.

Punchy understood it. ;);p:D

CB

um, i thought it was obvious that my post was a tongue-in-cheek reply to punchy, who wasn't upset about the room service change.

His posts show he is sailing on harmony on december 19, 2017 so this would impact him.

punchy understood it. ;);p:d

cb

and loved it!

Um, I thought it was obvious that my post was a tongue-in-cheek reply to Punchy, who wasn't upset about the room service change.

His posts show he is sailing on Harmony on December 19, 2017 so this would impact him.

Punchy understood it. ;);p:D

CB

OH! Lol!! This does sound like something Royal would eventually do!

On board the Allure today and the new fees do not affect us. Still free except between midnight and 5 am ($3.95). Good thing, too, so I don't have to listen to my other half pitch a conniption fit. 😁

I have noticed recently, that not only their is a huge difference between lines, but a huge difference between ships. This could explain such a vast difference between 2007 and 2008, or even differences in individual experiences. At one point I thought that maybe newer ships were putting together better services, but recent experiences have gone against that working theory.
Let's test that a bit. I'm going to bet that you cruised on Rotterdam, Volendam, Zaandam, Amsterdam, Statendam, Ryndam, or Prinsendam. (In other words, I'm guessing you didn't have that superior experience on Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, or Noordam.) If my guess is correct, that it lends a lot of weight to you observation that there is a huge difference between different ships (even on the same line).

Just between RCI, I feel that the quality control is really falling apart. I guess when you expand as rapidly as they have it is difficult to control quality.
The comments I've read over the last week convinced me to feel comfortable switching from RCI to Carnival for our November cruise, however, I don't think it is necessary an issue of quality control, but rather a strategically deliberate change in grade of service offered, in recognition of the nature of the market. Quality can be very much in "control", yet in "control" at a different level than before. Every one of the literally hundreds of complaints I've read over the last week could be true in the context of a well-thought out and reasoned re-positioning of the brand within the market... and yes, even in the context of your earlier observation about ship size.

In the Carnival forum, someone answering a question I asked made it very clear that the difference between their 3-day weekend cruises, their 4-day weekday cruises, and their 7-or-more day cruises is so pronounced as to be remarkable that they happen within the same cruise line - and even aboard the same ship! Call it "consistent variance".

Prices were also great on HAL compared to RCCL...
That's one thing that stuck out in my mind as well.

Their itinerary options are also incredible compared to the routine itineraries of Carnival, RCCL and NCL.
I should be very clear that we switched from RCCL to Carnival for our November cruise to a great extent because Carnival's itinerary was far far better than that offered by RCCL - so there is a difference there. It was also to some extent because the better itinerary on Holland America was relegated to substantially lesser ships as far as my spouse is concerned.

^ that needs its own thread.
Given that that change will be effective on cruises that all are fully refundable at this time, I'm curious to see if there will be less outrage than there was for the room service charge change, or will change evoke such outrage just because it is change.

and loved it!

For being a good sport, I'll treat you to one room service breakfast (anything you want from the continental selection). :D

OH! Lol!! This does sound like something Royal would eventually do!

You're right. Especially where I put in about the bargain basement brands of booze. :eek: Sorry for the scare.

CB

Well the strategy here was clearly to degrade and dumb down room service and add upcharges so that when they put BACK normal room service previously offered and widely available for free on other lines, everyone would go woo-hoo and slay leather for $7.95 + upcharge + grat. I'm not buying into that.

It would be no different than what is happening in the supermarkets. I'm sure we have all noticed that the packaging for chips, cookies, and cold cereals, for example, have been getting smaller and smaller. Now, if you notice, some of those products now come in "family sizes" for a much higher price. The size of the "family size" package is the same as what you used to get for the regular product before the size was reduced.

Eileen

We have very rarely used room service on a cruise. When we have ordered room service, it has been a pot of coffee and a plate of pastries in the morning. Having the pot of coffee delivered to the room was a lot easier than trying to carry hot cups of coffee back to the room, especially since they didn't have the proper "to go" cups with lids in the promenade cafe. By proper, I mean cups with the sleeves or the proper insulation so that the cup could be carried without burning your hand.

There would be times when we would be feeling a little tired in the afternoon, after being out in the sun all day. We would order a pot of coffee to have while we were getting ready for dinner that night. I understand charging people for food orders, but to charge someone $7.95 for one pot of coffee, just because that order is being placed outside the designated continental breakfast hours? That is highway robbery!

If they are going to charge for a pot of coffee during the afternoon and evening, they should, as an alternative, supply the proper "to go" cups in the promenade cafe.

On our last couple of cruises, we have packed a couple of carriers from Wawa to make it easier to carry coffee back to the room.

Eileen

Given that that change will be effective on cruises that all are fully refundable at this time, I'm curious to see if there will be less outrage than there was for the room service charge change, or will change evoke such outrage just because it is change.

Not for any booking outside of NA (the fully refundable part).

Biker, who is waiting for someone booking under UK rules to say this (web site saying free room service) is violating some advertising rule.

If they are going to charge for a pot of coffee during the afternoon and evening, they should, as an alternative, supply the proper "to go" cups in the promenade cafe.

On our last couple of cruises, we have packed a couple of carriers from Wawa to make it easier to carry coffee back to the room.

When I was on Indy, "to go" cups and lids were available in the Cafe Promenade for the self serve tea and coffee.

Let's test that a bit. I'm going to bet that you cruised on Rotterdam, Volendam, Zaandam, Amsterdam, Statendam, Ryndam, or Prinsendam. (In other words, I'm guessing you didn't have that superior experience on Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, or Noordam.) If my guess is correct, that it lends a lot of weight to you observation that there is a huge difference between different ships (even on the same line).

The comments I've read over the last week convinced me to feel comfortable switching from RCI to Carnival for our November cruise, however, I don't think it is necessary an issue of quality control, but rather a strategically deliberate change in grade of service offered, in recognition of the nature of the market. Quality can be very much in "control", yet in "control" at a different level than before. Every one of the literally hundreds of complaints I've read over the last week could be true in the context of a well-thought out and reasoned re-positioning of the brand within the market... and yes, even in the context of your earlier observation about ship size.

Actually, I cruised on the Noordam at the time to Alaska. (The oldest average age of a cruise I HAVE EVER BEEN ON BY FAR.) And the exact opposite end of the spectrum I cruised 2 months earlier on Sovereign which was doing 3 and 4 days out of PC. So the absolute opposite end of the spectrum in age, and itinerary. There was a notable difference, but obviously, two totally different cruises, age of ship etc. My point in regards to recent results being that newer ships does not mean better service, as I was on the Ovation in May of 2015, when it was less than month old, and the service was miserable. Guest services was super painful, in that I couldn't even get english speaking representatives at the desk. I was drawing a pack and play, to explain to guest services the lack of a pack and play in my room, and how we needed one for our baby. Thankfully, I eventually got a supervisor who spoke fluent english. Our cabin steward was also less than stellar. However, I recently went on the Grandeur and felt their staff to be super friendly and accommodating.

In regards to "quality control" while yes they can technically be in "control" by having a normal variance, sometimes I feel that some of the service is extending beyond their standard deviation for normal more often than before. No matter what their level of deviation is, I do not believe the staff should ever be rude to passenger, unless they are truly being verbally abused in an unacceptable way. I find that basic requests lately are met with eye rolling and hesitation, whereas before that was a non event. I am betting that RCI does not take to that kindly, as one time I left comment in the survey section after we got off the ship, and I got a call from a representative giving me $100 dollar OBC. It wasn't even a big enough deal for me to go to guest services, but I simply mentioned it in the survey. Clearly if they are handing me a 100 OBC, they do not believe that to be "acceptable" and within their standard operating variance.

I do agree that RCI has been repositioning their brand since the late 1990's and even more so in the last 5 years. They are much more on the level of NCL and CCL now than ever before.

They should give anyone who has booked a cruise up and until March 26th at least a 50 room credit. This includes people who have booked their cruise may not embark until November of 2017. This would cover 6 room service charges.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It would be no different than what is happening in the supermarkets. I'm sure we have all noticed that the packaging for chips, cookies, and cold cereals, for example, have been getting smaller and smaller. Now, if you notice, some of those products now come in "family sizes" for a much higher price. The size of the "family size" package is the same as what you used to get for the regular product before the size was reduced.
And there is never any notice along the lines, "We are reducing how much we put into this box you're used to buying."

I do agree that RCI has been repositioning their brand since the late 1990's and even more so in the last 5 years. They are much more on the level of NCL and CCL now than ever before.
If they weren't, then either they should have, or they should have introduced a new line to serve that segment of the market.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

And there is never any notice along the lines, "We are reducing how much we put into this box you're used to buying.

It's because they are much smarter than RCI. If you make small changes incrementally, people complain less or barely notice or care. If you make sweeping changes, as in 1/2 the size of then cereal box for the same price. People will be much angrier.

The supermarkets are slowly pushing 20 packs instead of 24 packs of pop at the same price. There is no outrage, as it is a small change, rather than selling 12 instead of 24 packs for the same price.

All RCI had to do was give a 90-100 day notice, and increase it to 3.95 all day, and eventually 7.95 all day in the next 6 months, and they could have avoided the majority of this firestorm that they created. It still would have been unpopular, but not on the level of anger that it is at right now.

Seems that most people here are forgetting it really is an upgraded menu.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

This is speculation at this point. It looks appealing, but you could list of names of WJ items that sound appealing, but in reality are less than stellar.

As several are quick to point out, the bottom line for RCI is the BOTTOM LINE, so giving us better quality would be counterproductive toward the bottom line. We will have to see in real time how the new menu items are performing in taste and quality. I can only hope they truly did upgrade the menu.

. It still would have been unpopular, but not on the level of anger that it is at right now.

CC anger may not translate to overall cruising public anger.;)

BTW, this has not been implemented yet, wait till that anger hits.

Seems that most people here are forgetting it really is an upgraded menu.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

It would have been an upgrade, and easily sold as that, if it was still possible to order anything other than a sorry continental breakfast as agreed in the terms that most folk booked under.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Forums mobile app

CC anger may not translate to overall cruising public anger.;)

BTW, this has not been implemented yet, wait till that anger hits.

Pretty sure a lot of guests will be at guest services when they see the charge on their account though. Mostly because they were unaware of a charge for a service they thought was free ;)

I am wondering if this is a stragedy, they are sneaking on this charge that was stated it's a free service at booking. RCI will graciously refund those that push it with guest services. Last cruise we were over charged on drink DH dint want to waste our time to get it refunded