Tipping Protocal in Specialty Restaurants

jiminyC_fan

My husband asked me this question and I never thought about it. I know for the specialty restaurants on other cruise lines they come at an added cost and we tip the waiter. What is the proper way to handle it on Viking in Manfredi's and Chef's Table? Thank you.

My husband asked me this question and I never thought about it. I know for the specialty restaurants on other cruise lines they come at an added cost and we tip the waiter. What is the proper way to handle it on Viking in Manfredi's and Chef's Table? Thank you.

I didn't see people tipping. You're automatic gratuities should take care of that. I guess that means you could but we didn't as this restaurant is included in your fare.

I did notice a few people were tipping the head waiter in the specialty restaurants and he was very nice to them. We did not and I would say he was less than cordial to us and we had been very pleasant with him. I did try to tip one wonderful young woman who went out of her way to help our group of 8 have reservations and seating together- she graciously and absolutely would not accept the tip and said it was against the policy.

I did notice a few people were tipping the head waiter in the specialty restaurants and he was very nice to them. We did not and I would say he was less than cordial to us and we had been very pleasant with him.

OK, that being said, we did not tip either and were on the Star. The head guy at Chef's Table could not have been nicer to us. We worried about going on the day we went to Berlin and he was more than welcoming before our excursion and assured us that with to many going to Berlin they would be open later if need be to accommodate. He took our reservations and we just went after a quick change and were seated without a problem. The head person at Manfredi's told me to come by on a night when they opened and she could tell me if and when we could be accommodated, even though the computer said they were fully committed, So we did and were seated immediately. Now every situation or person are not the same, but that was our experience.

Just read my title. I'm embarrassed. I really do know how to spell, I promise. PROTOCOL. sheesh

LOL. I have stopped being embarrassed by my life-long inability to type (and proofread). It is what it is. I do know the difference between there and their but it seems my fingers don't. I have never been able to type the word "paepaer". I've also stopped worrying about other people's typing, especially with auto-correct.

And just think, months from now, when this thread has dropped to the bottom of the pile, you will be able to easily search for it and find it easily.:D Well, as long as you remember the typo.;)

Hi jiminyC_fan,

If you don't mind, we would like to add our thoughts to the topic of tipping on board a Viking cruise based on our own experience. Top to bottom, the crew and staff on their ships are top notch and provide great service and always have a wonderful attitude. Those that we have asked always say it is their privilege to provide such high quality service. Even so, some even manage to exceed those high standards. We believe in rewarding good service and so we go with the built in suggested tipping to spread among all those who provide service.

But our room stewards have been exceptional and we directly tip them an additional amount over and above the standard amount. On our first Viking Ocean cruise on the Star we had an exceptional waiter on our first visit to the Chef's Table. He provided the best service we have ever encountered and we had a most enjoyable conversation throughout dinner. He made some excellent suggestions and volunteered to get us seconds on anything that we particularly enjoyed. At the end of the dinner, he brought the chef around to talk with us. We told both of them how much we enjoyed the meal (especially the pan seared scallops and veal tenderloin medallions) and thanked them both for a most special meal. Michael, our waiter, encouraged us to come back and said that it would be his great pleasure to serve us again, just ask for his table when we got to the desk upon arrival.

Needless to say we did have a second meal there made all the better by the friendship we had developed with Michael. We discussed our future Viking plans and it turned out that Michael would be changing ships when the new Viking Sea started sailing in the Spring of 2016. We told him that we were booked for a Spring cruise on that ship and would look for him there which seemed to please him greatly. On our last night on board, we weren't eating at the Chef's Table but we wanted to provide Michael with with a tip for his exceptional service. We stopped by the dining room and sought him out, thanked him again, told him we would lookfor him in 6 months and pressed a 20 Euro note into his hand for service above and beyond the norm. Our reunion aboard the Viking Sea 6 months later was wonderful, but we will save that story for another time.

Bottom line: we are not rich but we believe in recognizing exceptional service appropriately and never begrudge tipping appropriate to the service given. Sorry this ran so long and it is not intended to put anyone down for their tipping or lack of tipping habits. We just wanted to share how special Viking's staff and crew are in our opinion.

Senior Gators, honestly, your experience was that of ours on the Viking Magni. We made personal friends with a waitress who we keep in contact with to this day. It was probably 2 or 3 years ago that we took that trip. She is the reason we are sailing on the Star itself. Unfortunately, things happen and she was JUST reassigned to the Sky so we will not be able to sail with her. Both her and I tried to get us over to the Sky since they are on the Viking homelands at the same time but different direction. Both ships were sold out by the time she was reassigned. Many disappointments because of it for her and us. She calls us Mama and Papa. That is how close we have become. My opinion is if you treat them as you would like to be treated and not like staff, friendships occur. We always tip above and beyond what is recommended and also, hand deliver an additional tip to those that make our stay extra special. She just happened to be one of those.

Great article. Thanks Peregrina. What are your thoughts on room service? We always tip on other lines but Viking just seems "different".

We have been on Regent, which is ALL INCLUSIVE and always tipped room service.. did not tip in the specialty restaurants, did give our room stewards extra for such great service.

Great article. Thanks Peregrina. What are your thoughts on room service? We always tip on other lines but Viking just seems "different".

In all honesty, I haven't used it yet and I have not come to a conclusion one way or another. I think that, unless we are ill, without a proper table in the room, I would just rather sit down in the buffet or MDR for a meal.

In all honesty, I haven't used it yet and I have not come to a conclusion one way or another. I think that, unless we are ill, without a proper table in the room, I would just rather sit down in the buffet or MDR for a meal.

Me too but, since we were in V cabin we did have coffee and juice delivered in the morning for the 'make ready process' to begin. A little something for the RS waiter that had to see us a natural!

Me too but, since we were in V cabin we did have coffee and juice delivered in the morning for the 'make ready process' to begin. A little something for the RS waiter that had to see us a natural!

Yes, right, that is another reason I'd rather eat breakfast out.

I tipped the room service waiter every morning for coffee and juice

Haha, I can only imagine.:p:p:p

Peregrina, we have never had a meal in our room as well. Who knows. We may just want a little something at some point. You never know. Thanks.

Haha, I can only imagine.:p:p:p

Peregrina, we have never had a meal in our room as well. Who knows. We may just want a little something at some point. You never know. Thanks.

For those of us for whom the idea of a bowl of gelato after the show, a time when none of the venues is serving it, seems like a no-brainer, someone said that you can it delivered from room service.

Save