Encore Club Bar question...

chefchick

We will be embarking on a Med cruise aboard Encore this June. I am really looking forward to it despite the not so glowing reviews I've read here. :cool:

One of the things that does concern me though, is the apparently poorly designed Club bar? On our previous Seabourn cruises, one of our favorite evening rituals is to cozy up to the club bar before dinner and leave ourselves in the capable hands of the wonderful bartenders there. We really got to know them over the course of our cruises and also met others who enjoyed a cocktail and easy conversation in the relatively small venue. I am under the impression that the bartenders now have to go away from the bar to prepare the cocktails? Sort of ruins the whole vibe, no? I actually enjoy watching them prepare the drinks and getting to know them better.

This is clearly a design flaw. Does anyone know if it will be rectified? Are we "stuck" going to the O Bar before dinner? I've read the Grill bar is excellent but I assume the word is out and it will be crowded. What was your experience?

Chefchick going to The Club and chatting with the Bartender is something we like to do on the Odyssey class ships as well.

Unfortunately it was a case on Encore you go to the Bar where there were guests chatting but no Bartender as he had gone behind the door to make up the cocktails. Hmmmm........it felt very odd.......

Apparently Seabourn Head office is aware this is a problem and are looking for a solution. One idea mentioned to me was having two bartenders, one taking orders, chatting with guests while doing the simple pours. The other would go behind the door to do the more complicated cocktails.........it would still not have the theatre of the cocktail but it would be better. But I think they might be still looking at different ideas.

I am hoping Joc123 or someone else currently on Encore will let us know if there has been any changes.

Julie

P.S. Have a great cruise as there were lots of other very good things about the ship. I will be interested to hear what you think of TK Grill (great ambiance) and Sushi Bar (great food and staff). Well in my opinion.:)

IMO the Club is the area they really got wrong.

We went there the first night as it has always been our favourite for pre's (pre dinner drinks), never to return! I'm not sure what they can do in the immediate future but I do know it is near the top of their list of things that don't quite work.

It is not just the lack of a bartender, but there are too many tables and chairs for the space resulting in no atmosphere. DH, who is a tall man, says the chairs are the most uncomfortable onboard - too small! I found them to be perfect

The Grill Bar is definitely our favourite. On the leg Sydney- Bali very few people used it which made it even better. This leg, Bali - Singapore it is very busy which means you need to get there early! This is the only place they serve decent nuts!

We have never been a fan of the O Bar, always found it too big as we prefer smaller intimate areas.

Don't give up on the Encore. As I keep saying, it's different, but that's not always a bad thing.

I will write down my thoughts when we return home.

Yes, the Encore's Club bar is awful. Too small and badly equipped for its purpose - living up to the standard expected from the Odyssey class ships. It looks like a furniture storage unit with all those beige and brown chairs piled so closely and such a small lounge. What was Seabourn thinking?!

Maybe during some refit the Club will be redesigned? I shudder to think that Ovation will be launched next year with the same layout.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Personally, I avoid the Club bar on the Odyssey Class ships too. I find it uncomfortable, the music too loud and intrusive for conversation and an overall bland space. Crowded as the Club was was on the triplets it was a much more convivial atmosphere. So the loss of the Club Bar on the Encore proves no problem for me, especially with the addition of the TK Grill bar.

I quite agree with the comments on the Club bar.

We felt it looked rather cheap and with chairs too packed together although we found it better that the noisy, intrusive and packed Observation lounge bar.

The TK bar should really be reserved for passengers dining there as we found it to be very busy and noisy with a paucity of chairs, to have a quiet drink before dinner. It's often used by passengers who are not dining there but obviously enjoy going.

We would not sail on Encore again.

Kind regards,

Tony