ATV Excursion - Tips?

august1963

We are taking an ATV excursion in either San Juan or Grand Turk (I forget which one). Do you have any tips for me? Should we just wear clothes and shoes that we would be willing to throw away? I don't want to have to bring home muddy clothes and I don't want to send them to the laundry. Should I bring wet wipes to wipe ourselves down afterwards so we don't get the bus all muddy? Should I bring glasses cleaner so I can see through my glasses afterwards? These are the types of things I am wondering about......Can anyone shed some light on this excursion for me? Thanks, Deb

In December, we had friends who booked an ATV excursion in Punta Cana. This was not cruise related - we were at an all-inclusive resort, and the excursion was booked through the resort...but I'd guess it was similar. They were completely covered in mud - they just threw their clothes away. The cruise excursions may or may not be similar...but it's something to keep in mind. They did have fun though!! The only reason we didn't go with was...I have an ATV at home...and my wife is a bit of a princess and wouldn't have dealt with the mud very well!!

Is it an ATV tour of the island or a short off roading ATV ride? We did an ATV tour in st Martin and didn't get the least bit muddy; it was a full day ATV ride around the island with several stops. They also do 1-2 hour a ATV rides in places, that often combine with other things like zip lining that do more of an ATV park type of ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are doing the same ATV excursion in San Juan ... guessing you are on the Sunshine in 10 days? We always take a change of clothes & shoes JIC ... that way if it's muddy or wet, we can change when we get back to the starting point. I carry a couple large zip lock bags and either send laundry out on the boat, or ziplock it & take it home & wash it. I'm not throwing clothes or shoes away. Of course, we ride at home ... so this is something we have clothes for as it happens a lot & is something we're used to when we ride at home.

We did a horseback ride in Isle Roatan last year March during rainy season and we were covered. Worked great.

Haven't done it but what about shoe covers of some sort to keep those clean and you could always rinse clothes as best as possible in shower and leave them to dry until you get home for a better wash?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is it an ATV tour of the island or a short off roading ATV ride? We did an ATV tour in st Martin and didn't get the least bit muddy; it was a full day ATV ride around the island with several stops. They also do 1-2 hour a ATV rides in places, that often combine with other things like zip lining that do more of an ATV park type of ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is a 2-hour in Grand Turk called Off Road ATV Adventure - we will be there on April 20, the week of Easter.

Some friends and I went on an ATV excursion in Mexico and we were the last 3 ATVs in the group so we could hang back a little and then ride faster to catch up and kind of screw around more behind the group rather than right in the middle of it. Sure the dust was probably a lot thicker but I think it was worth it. The whole excursion swam halfway thru the ride so after getting wet the dust stuck to our bodies and we ended up getting really dirty but it was a great time and I would do it again. If we had been there right after a rain I'm guessing it would have been muddy or at least no dust, but maybe more humid.

We have done several ATV excursions on our cruises. It's usually very dusty and on some there are mudddy areas to go off-roading on. The whole thing isn't muddy, just specific areas. We've found the best way to handle it is to wear swimsuits under our clothes. We always ask for a heads up before the mud. When they tell us it's coming up (while we're stopped for pictures or something) we strip down to our swimsuits. That way the only thing that is dirty are swimsuits that are easy to rinse out. My husband strips off his shirt and keeps a fresh pair of shorts to change into later. Back at the building where you pick up your ATV's there's usually a bathroom where you can wipe down and switch back into clean clothes. More than likely you will be given goggles to wear that will protect your glasses from getting dirty. On many of my ATV excursions they've had a dip in the ocean to rinse off at the end of the tour which is an added plus. Just remember to bring a small backpack with water, sunscreen, bug spray, extra large zip baggies or plastic bags (for the wet stuff) and some wet ones to wipe down with and you'll be fine. Also, look up reviews of the excursion you're taking and see if there is any more info about your excursion that would be helpful. Have fun. :D

We are taking an ATV excursion in either San Juan or Grand Turk (I forget which one). Do you have any tips for me? Should we just wear clothes and shoes that we would be willing to throw away? I don't want to have to bring home muddy clothes and I don't want to send them to the laundry. Should I bring wet wipes to wipe ourselves down afterwards so we don't get the bus all muddy? Should I bring glasses cleaner so I can see through my glasses afterwards? These are the types of things I am wondering about......Can anyone shed some light on this excursion for me? Thanks, Deb

We did this in Mexico last August and had a great time. My hubby and I wore shorts (swim trunks for him) and our sturdy water shoes. Our legs and shoes got muddy, but we ended at the ocean and rinsed off with a drink in hand!

I will say, if I do it again, I'll wear long pants. There was a lot of heat coming from the ATV right by my leg. As a porcelain - alright, pasty - skinned gal, it really irritated my skin. I ended up with a heat rash for a day or two. Not terrible, but not comfortable. Take the notice to wear long pants seriously if you're sensitive!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

We did this in Mexico last August and had a great time. My hubby and I wore shorts (swim trunks for him) and our sturdy water shoes. Our legs and shoes got muddy, but we ended at the ocean and rinsed off with a drink in hand!

I will say, if I do it again, I'll wear long pants. There was a lot of heat coming from the ATV right by my leg. As a porcelain - alright, pasty - skinned gal, it really irritated my skin. I ended up with a heat rash for a day or two. Not terrible, but not comfortable. Take the notice to wear long pants seriously if you're sensitive!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yes, I thought the excursion did recommend long pants.....which I am not going to be real thrilled about, as I am 50-something and always "hot", but I will do as they say.....thanks to all for the helpful tips!

I did the ATV in Grand Turk in 2015. I didn't encounter a problem with getting clothes dirty. The problem we had was that it was the last ATV excursion of the day and with all the salt ponds the engines were dying throughout the excursion for multiple people. I ended up having to ride in the tour's pickup truck with two other ATV riders whose engines had died. The tour company was very apologetic and because we booked through carnival, they actually reimbursed us for the excursion. It's a neat excursion and I believe it would have been super fun had I been able to complete the whole excursion on ATV. Good luck!

We've gone ATVing in Curacao, Mexico, and Aruba, and have never gotten super dirty. There is some mud that splashes up, but is mostly gets on your shoes and somewhat on the back of your shirt. In Aruba and Curacao, the roads were very dusty, so our hair and face were covered in road dust! Nothing to worry about, really.

CeleBrat