Review: 5 Nights on Empress of the Seas (with 50+ Pictures!)

Your review is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

We will be on Empress for Havana overnight in October so I am really enjoying your cruise thru your eyes. I believe I read earlier in your post that you will be doing Cuba in July, thus I will be anxiously awaiting your review.

Happy Sails to you two.

Empress of the Seas Review - Continued

When it comes to shopping, I'm the stereotypical guy. To keep my complaining to a minimum, I require some liquid encouragement. So our first stop was a local bar called "Habanero Bar & Grill." Actually, it was our 37th stop if you count all the times my wife wanted to just "look at" something. :D

This particular bar was quite unique. Instead of bar stools, they had swings!

33477244700_6d830eb84a_b.jpg

The decor was pretty neat too - dollar bills lined the walls of this alley-like bar:

33477245290_5c8389351a_b.jpg

Trying to be "artistic" again with my photos...

33705435572_ab3962268f_b.jpg

Almost ready for shopping. ¡Más cerveza por favor!

I'll skip the details of the shopping "adventure." I'm happy to report, my wallet and most of its contents survived.

Next, it was time for some food. We followed some of the cruise line's recommendations and ate at a restaurant called "Palmeras." Good food, great service, but pricey. A Mariachi Band was playing too:

33490282980_397837f48a_b.jpg

The woman in the foreground is the best part - she was just staring at me as I snapped photos

Although it was only early/mid afternoon, we were ready to head back to the ship. But first, another view of the Empress from a distance:

33833930946_181c3f62b0_b.jpg

Insert "size doesn't matter" joke here...?

COMING UP NEXT:

Leaving Cozumel, México

Great pictures so far and I am looking forward to more. Definitely hoping for some positive vibes about Empress. We're booked for next month and, for the most part, all I've been reading is stuff from the Debbie Downers. Yes, I understand she's the oldest and (one of the) smallest ships in the fleet and there is no Diamond Lounge or Solarium and the rooms are smaller, blah blah blah but there has to be something good to report!

So, let's hear it! Thanks for your time in doing the review and sharing the pictures!

:D:D:D

We just got off of the Empress, also on this 03/27/17 sailing and I have to tell you... get ready for a fabulous trip. We had THE BEST time! I too read all of the not-so-good reviews including one that just said "Good Luck". Everything was great, the food, the entertainment.. we saw a comedian, a ventriloquist and a juggler (all awesome). They also had a piano player in the Schooner Bar who was fantastic. I think I heard that he was getting off the ship after our cruise though.. Not sure. The crew was outstanding, friendly and enthusiastic and helpful!!! We sailed to Cozumel and CocoaCay and LOVED both islands. Of course, the 80+ and sunny weather for the entire trip also helped. The ONLY negative thing that I can say about the entire trip, was that every once in a while, there was a faint sewage smell in a hallway. The very last day, when we pulled into Miami, very early in the morning, the smell enveloped our cabin and it was strong for about 5 minutes. Then it disappeared as fast as it came. It wouldn't stop us from sailing again on this beautiful smaller ship. We were in room 7672, towards the back of the ship and found it to be extremely comfy and well maintained. Our cabin steward, Harold was very nice and accommodating. It was small, but there was a place for everything, plenty of hangers in the closet, room under he bed for luggage and lots of shelves in the bathroom for our beauty aids. The bed was so comfortable!! More room than most hotels that we've stayed in. The cruise director CeCi was wonderful. She was funny and outgoing and we loved seeing her and following her activities. I was so sad to get off of this ship. We have sailed 5 other times, always on Princess and always on much bigger ships. My husband said the he would probably want to do the bigger ship next time, mostly because of there only being 1 pool (which was always crowded) on this ship. One more thing.. the drinks are a little pricier than I remember (of course we haven't sailed since 2009) they were $12 + 18% gratuity on each one, bringing 2 drinks to a grand total of $25. On the 3rd day, they offered a drink card which was $59 (before gratuity, so more like $69) and you could get 10 - $12 drinks with it. They just punched the card for each drink. You save $50 on each card. We definitely did a few of those on the trip. If you have any questions, I will gladly try to answer them. Otherwise go and have a wonderful time. Don't listen to the cruise snobs that tell you that this ship is awful. Form your own opinion and have a ball!

Patti

Although we still had several hours left in Cozumel, we were ready to head back to the ship and take advantage of an empty pool deck.

33477245730_c06b39de63_b.jpg

Love the "wall of ships" everytime you return back

The pool deck was experience in port was perfect: few people, instant bar service, and they even had a movie playing on the big screen. They were playing the Disney film, Moana. Who needs a Disney Cruise to see Disney characters? :p

As the ship departed, we headed back to our stateroom to watch on the balcony.

33490282630_cd4fc0aed9_b.jpg

Turning the ship to head out to sea

After enjoying a windless sea day, that changed rather quickly as we headed east toward CocoCay.

33477245880_47e14c6d39_b.jpg

COMING UP NEXT:

Day four: Sea day, PLUS! Drama on the high seas as we rescue an American fishing boat! :eek:

Don't listen to the cruise snobs that tell you that this ship is awful. Form your own opinion and have a ball!

Hey Patti, I'm building up to the conclusion with this review, but agree with you 110%. I've sailed on Oasis and Voyager class ships, and love Empress just as much. It all depends on the type of vacation YOU want.

More to come :)

Perhaps it's the geek in me, but waking up to see your ship is quite a thrill. Anyone else agree?

Looking straight down from our hotel room

I agree completely. I am enjoying all the pics, even the airport departure, some people don't like a lot of extra stuff in a review, but I figure they can skip ahead if needed. Looking forward to reading the rest.

When it comes to shopping, I'm the stereotypical guy. To keep my complaining to a minimum, I require some liquid encouragement. So our first stop was a local bar called "Habanero Bar & Grill." Actually, it was our 37th stop if you count all the times my wife wanted to just "look at" something. :D

Sounds like my wife of 36 years. The bad news is, it never changes.

I am so pleased to see great reviews for the Empress! :D

I'm sailing on her May 11 with my kids from college -- my son & his roommate + my daughter & her roommate.

(me & the boys in 8506 forward OS, girls in the L-shaped 9664)

This will be from Tampa, does anyone know if the same crew and entertainment will stay with her then?

After enjoying a windless sea day, that changed rather quickly as we headed east toward CocoCay.

33477245880_47e14c6d39_b.jpg

COMING UP NEXT:

Day four: Sea day, PLUS! Drama on the high seas as we rescue an American fishing boat! :eek:

I hope to hear you were the only ship at Coco Cay, that would be a nice day. Great job so far . Thanks, if I already didn't say so.

I hope to hear you were the only ship at Coco Cay, that would be a nice day. Great job so far . Thanks, if I already didn't say so.

You bet, having fun revisiting last week's trip.

We were the only ship at CocoCay. It was my third time there, and I don't recall visiting with another ship. Can't imagine how that'd be :o

First, some background. My wife and I are in our early 30's, Emerald C&A members (only a three-night cruise away from Diamond - whoot!), and overall avid cruisers (we've both sailed on other lines).

Once you make D and on Empress again, look out for the C&A party on the rear deck behind Boleros. Great view of Miami during sail-away.

Great review! Thanks for sharing. Looks like you both had a lovely time.

We'll be on a cruise out of Miami too and didn't even think about the option of flying to Ft Lauderdale if flights are cheaper. Looks like it's about a 45 min drive? Did you rent a car or taxi/uber?

We'll be on a cruise out of Miami too and didn't even think about the option of flying to Ft Lauderdale if flights are cheaper. Looks like it's about a 45 min drive? Did you rent a car or taxi/uber?

Thanks! This was a special cruise for us, so I splurged a bit and got a car service. Royal Caribbean does offer a pick up service from the Fort Lauderdale airport to the Port of Miami on your sailing date though. We used that service on the way back after the cruise.

DRAMA ON THE HIGH SEAS

(Cue dramatic music.)

Our fourth day was a sea day. Shortly after sunrise, I noticed the ship was slowing down - considerably. I was on a mission to discover why.

My investigation began by turning on the television and flipping to the best channel Royal Caribbean has to offer - the navigation channel! (Yes, I'm a nerd. I said I was a "nautical nut" earlier and didn't lie.) We were only heading about 5 knots instead of the 15+ knots needed to arrive at CocoCay on time. I grabbed my binoculars and headed to the balcony.

PRO TIP:
Always bring binoculars, especially if you're in a balcony stateroom.

My second observation was an officer on the port bridge wing doing the same. It's hard to see the badge on his waist in the picture below, but I suspect he's the security officer onboard.

33492099370_1a1354404d_b.jpg

Officer on the port bridge wing

Off in the distance, a container ship was conspicuously zig-zagging at a slow speed. In about 15-20 minutes time, it become obvious:

33063442253_d76d2601fe_b.jpg

The container ship says, "Chiquita" on the side - it's a BANANA BOAT!

Shortly thereafter, an announcement was made about the situation. A vessel was in distress, and we were cautiously responding to the situation.

As the Empress got closer to the small fishing boat, another announcement was made to stand clear of Deck 6, the Promenade Deck. A lifeboat was going to be lowered to rescue the three men onboard the fishing boat.

33063442063_8332224d43_b.jpg

The "Banana Boat" continued to circle throughout the engagement

I noticed a U.S. Coast Guard plane observing the situation from the sky:

33492099460_5a8a86ce2c_b.jpg

Apologies for the fuzzy/grainy picture; the plane was quite a distance away

33063441853_38cf0cd119_c.jpg

As you can see from the A:B comparison, the fishing boat is about the same size as the lifeboat

Looking through my binoculars, I could read both the boat name and location: "Landing Edge" from Palm City, FL. A little ways from home I'd say...

It certainly wasn't a quick rescue. Our lifeboat seemed to hover around the fishing boat for 30+ minutes before the three men abandoned their vessel. A final announcement was made that all were in good health and were experiencing engine trouble.

After prying a bit more, I had asked a ship's officer for more details. Apparently, the fishing boat was radioing a "friend" for assistance and resisted the rescue. Their "friend" was only five hours away or so. That didn't sit well with the U.S. Coast Guard, who instructed all involved to have Empress of the Seas rescue the three. I was also told the Coast Guard was responsible for recovering the boat later.

A little excitement and a overall good ending. Hats off to the great crew for their efforts. Heck who knows, maybe there's an insurance claim to be made on the finish boat too. Not to mention a free cruise to CocoCay! :cool:

COMING UP NEXT:

Day five: CocoCay, Bahamas

We always fly to Fort Lauderdale. We use Jiffy Jeff Transportation, $15/pp. Great service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Looking through my binoculars, I could read both the boat name and location: "Landing Edge" from Palm City, FL. A little ways from home I'd say...

So, is RCI aiding in a PVSA violation by taking the passengers from one part of Florida to POM?;p

Hey Patti, I'm building up to the conclusion with this review, but agree with you 110%. I've sailed on Oasis and Voyager class ships, and love Empress just as much. It all depends on the type of vacation YOU want.

More to come :)

Loved your pics and review.. I don't recall seeing you on the ship, but wish we had the chance to meet you and your wife!!:cool: