Upgrade to 3 bedroom Garden Villa

Hi,

We are newbies to NCL and have planned a cruise on Star with our 2 adult children and their spouses. We all have balcony rooms. We have been offered an upgrade. The 3 bedroom garden villa would be perfect for our group. It reads that only the first two persons are charged. Can all 6 of us go into the Villa if we win the bid? Is the room only for the two people that put the bid in? Could my children give up their rooms? I am not sure how this process works.

Thanks in advance.

C.

Bid only for one cabin as only one cabin will win, unless you want more than one GV. You will have to keep the other two cabins, but those people can sleep wherever they want. They will have to get extra cards to open the GV door and will still be classified as being in those cabins and not have the suite perks. If you can work out a deal with the concierge you may be able to convince him to give VIP status to your other party members living in the GV. Remember to tip the butler/concierge/steward appropriately for who is in the GV.

The GV on the Star is amazing. The decks are huge. Much larger than the ones on the Jewel class ships. You could have keys made for the kids and they could come and go as they pleased. They won't be allowed to eat in the special restaurant for breakfast or lunch but you can order things in room and eat there. Or a lot of times for lunch we would go to the buffet and make a salad and bring it back to the room for lunch. We have stayed in the GV with our sons and their spouses and will be on the Jewel with them again in June. It is plenty of room and you will all have a great time.

Combining multiple rooms into one has been done, but it wasn't easy. It is not clear if you were offered an upgrade or a bid to upgrade.

I would suggest you call. I would not count on making arrangements on board with a concierge for your family. If you pay to upgrade 2 persons, the butler and concierge will expect to serve 2 people. Only 2 would be able to eat in the designated breakfast/lunch dining venues.

If you make a deal, make sure it is clear what each person receives in perks. Usually, the perks you received with your original booking are what you will keep. I would ask for all the agreed upon amenities in writing and would take with me.

Good luck! It's a fabulous villa, but not worth the money it unless everyone is upgraded.

Hi,

We are newbies to NCL and have planned a cruise on Star with our 2 adult children and their spouses. We all have balcony rooms. We have been offered an upgrade. The 3 bedroom garden villa would be perfect for our group. It reads that only the first two persons are charged. Can all 6 of us go into the Villa if we win the bid? Is the room only for the two people that put the bid in? Could my children give up their rooms? I am not sure how this process works.

Thanks in advance.

C.

Combining multiple rooms into one has been done, but it wasn't easy. It is not clear if you were offered an upgrade or a bid to upgrade.

I can't say if OP is under old upsell or bidding. I had heard combining was possible, but in my case was not able to get them to do it and the ship sailed with an empty cabin - I was handled through the old upsell department. Either way they should expect the odds are they keep the extra cabins. I was okay with it as that way everyone had UBP and dining. Roel was concierge at the time and was very understanding, but not sure how accommodating the concierge is now.

If you're working under the new bidding process, you may not have time to do any kind of cabin changes for the rest of your party. You may not hear about the upgrade until 48 hours before sailing.

Also, I've never seen anyone else mention this, but our friends once got an upgrade to the GV and as it was only the two of them, the other two bedrooms in the GV were locked and they couldn't use them.

Good luck!

Just to elaborate a bit...it is under the new bidding process. The cost is $1800 per person for the first two persons. I love the idea of the garden villa for all six of us but if my children and their spouses don't receive any added amenities besides staying in the villa, I am not sure that it is worth it. It does seem silly that their cabins would just sit empty. I am going to call them today. Thanks for your answers.

... but if my children and their spouses don't receive any added amenities besides staying in the villa, I am not sure that it is worth it.

I do think your entire party stands a good chance of getting VIP status, just don't go in expecting it. I went through regular check-in with the others and the concierge was called over. We had a brief conversation where I affirmed it was his choice and I would be sure to express my gratitude for any way he could help our situation. Be sure to make that calculation in your upsell financing. Even if the other four aren't given suite amenities they won't be missing that much on the Star. The best things are only breakfast & lunch in Moderno and priority embark/disembark/tender. The GV area in the theater is not that good of a location. It's not like they aren't allowed in the Haven. The GV cabin is the Haven, living in the GV is the amenity and they cannot refuse that. I have never heard of anyone being locked out of the other bedrooms, they must have agreed to it. FYI we paid $1500pp upsell.

I do think your entire party stands a good chance of getting VIP status, just don't go in expecting it. I went through regular check-in with the others and the concierge was called over. We had a brief conversation where I affirmed it was his choice and I would be sure to express my gratitude for any way he could help our situation. Be sure to make that calculation in your upsell financing. Even if the other four aren't given suite amenities they won't be missing that much on the Star. The best things are only breakfast & lunch in Moderno and priority embark/disembark/tender. The GV area in the theater is not that good of a location. It's not like they aren't allowed in the Haven. The GV cabin is the Haven, living in the GV is the amenity and they cannot refuse that. I have never heard of anyone being locked out of the other bedrooms, they must have agreed to it. FYI we paid $1500pp upsell.

Congrats that is an amazing upsell

The way things are going I think our next trip will be the last high end suite we will book just book low and wait for the upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way things are going I think our next trip will be the last high end suite we will book just book low and wait for the upgrade.

That is what I did for that Star cruise and I also tried again on the last one - long story. I'd book the suite direct like I used to if I didn't feel so abused. Unfortunately NCL's game keeps changing and I'm tired of playing. I still keep an eye out for last minute pre-bidding suite fire sales, but have booked my planned suite cruises elsewhere.

OP what was your bid range? $1800pp was top bid?

That is what I did for that Star cruise and I also tried again on the last one - long story. I'd book the suite direct like I used to if I didn't feel so abused. Unfortunately NCL's game keeps changing and I'm tired of playing. I still keep an eye out for last minute pre-bidding suite fire sales, but have booked my planned suite cruises elsewhere.

OP what was your bid range? $1800pp was top?

We cruise next week in the garden villa which we dropped 15k for and now i read you it can cost the price of a balcony plus $3600 feel a bit abused myself but no ill feeling toward anyone that gets a fantastic deal think it time to move cruise lines

i personally would not spend $1800 pp when traveling with others i want to spend time with. there is no guarantees that your kids will be able to just all move with you. under the old upsell process, this would have been easy to do. the bidding changes everything.

if im going with friends or family , i would not want to be in the haven/suite if they arent. you either give up perks to spend time with your friends/family in the common areas or you enjoy the perks leaving them on their own in the common areas.

We cruise next week in the garden villa which we dropped 15k for and now i read you it can cost the price of a balcony plus $3600 feel a bit abused myself but no ill feeling toward anyone that gets a fantastic deal think it time to move cruise lines

bear in mind its the cost of ONE balcony and $3600 for just two people. if all 6 had to pay teh $1800, then it would be $10800. so still less than you paid, but you of course got the guarantee that all in your party get to be in the GV with the perks, etc.

but i saw what you are feeling first hand on the Gem this past new year's. we paid $5400 total (balcony price and upsell fee) for 2 people to stay in a room that others paid $10k+ for. and there were ALOT of us on the bargain price in teh Haven since we all chatted.

bear in mind its the cost of ONE balcony and $3600 for just two people. if all 6 had to pay teh $1800, then it would be $10800. so still less than you paid, but you of course got the guarantee that all in your party get to be in the GV with the perks, etc.

but i saw what you are feeling first hand on the Gem this past new year's. we paid $5400 total (balcony price and upsell fee) for 2 people to stay in a room that others paid $10k+ for. and there were ALOT of us on the bargain price in teh Haven since we all chatted.

Seems a strange strategy from Ncl to fill rooms at any price maybe they don't think people talk and find out how much each other have paid

But congrats on your upgrade I'm sure you had a ball

At the end of the day I was happy with the price we paid and we're fortunate enough to be able to afford it so I'm sure come next Thursday at 12pm I'll have built a bridge and got over it

But next time I'll think long and hard before booking

Hello,

We upgraded to the Garden Villa on the Star 3 weeks before our 19 day cruise in February 2018. There were only 2 of us so I can't answer as to how the other two parties would by handled by NCL, but all 3 bedrooms were open to us.

This is the second time we upgraded to the Garden Villa on the Star and it was worth every penny! We thought the first time in the suite was the "cruise of a lifetime" having no idea we would get so lucky again.

Ally

we upgraded from 2 suites to the Garden Villa on Dawn but we had to still pay for the other room. They gave us keys for them to get into the GV but when we ate at Cagney's etc they had to pay. We were allowed to order room service for everyone from Cagney's breakfast they just couldn't go into there and sit down to eat with the extra key. My adult kids ended up meeting a couple in an inside room and gave them the keys to their suite since they weren't staying in it and we had paid for it. They all hung out all week. You will love the GV!!! And since it is GV you really have no worries about people visiting you or hanging out on your own decks, unlike Haven rooms

I appreciate your info and I have some questions.

I think when any cabin upgrades, you still have to pay for the original room. Maybe I am not understanding what you're saying?

I don't understand that if you were both in suites originally, why they weren't able to go to breakfast and lunch for free?

So, when you upgraded, you paid for (2) persons only, correct?

Was this the "new" advantage email type upgrade or the old "calling upsell dept"

system.

we upgraded from 2 suites to the Garden Villa on Dawn but we had to still pay for the other room. They gave us keys for them to get into the GV but when we ate at Cagney's etc they had to pay. We were allowed to order room service for everyone from Cagney's breakfast they just couldn't go into there and sit down to eat with the extra key. My adult kids ended up meeting a couple in an inside room and gave them the keys to their suite since they weren't staying in it and we had paid for it. They all hung out all week. You will love the GV!!! And since it is GV you really have no worries about people visiting you or hanging out on your own decks, unlike Haven rooms

You thought it was worthwhile to spend 15k at NCL until someone got it cheaper?? I understand it stinks when others get a better deal, but if you want to roll the dice next time, go for it. The reactions people are having over these bids now that they actually see them is crazy. Every single ship, hotel, or such does the same thing to maximize occupancy.

You thought it was worthwhile to spend 15k at NCL until someone got it cheaper?? I understand it stinks when others get a better deal, but if you want to roll the dice next time, go for it. The reactions people are having over these bids now that they actually see them is crazy. Every single ship, hotel, or such does the same thing to maximize occupancy.

Not sure why you need two question marks or even what your question is

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by philip_eunice1