I might be in trouble- flights now too early from MCO

Island wannabe

I just booked non-refundable tickets, using various points programs that originally had us flying from MCO to Toronto at 11:55 am for March 2018. I was quite confident we could make that flight. However it looks like air Canada has changed their flight departure time to 10:35 am instead!!!! I don't know if Orlando has TSA pre-clearance, but if they do we can use our Nexxus cards to go through that line but if we do a walk-off from Oasis and pre-book a car service I am hoping that the latest we could be at MCO would be 9 am which should give us enough time.

Can anyone speak to their actual experience about how early they made it to MCO doing self-disembark ? I don't need suggestions to change my flight but thank you just want to hear of experience to date.

Based on how early I see folks stepping out of the Oasis terminal, I believe you can easily depart by 8 then get to the airport by 9am if not earlier. But I will punt and let others give more accurate real experiences.

My bigger concern would be the dependability of your car service. Do you have someone in mind? You cannot afford a no-show so I suggest you get a private shuttle from 888-transportation who will have cars waiting (and a live dispatcher to talk to) thanks to their port contract. You just walk to the left outside after exiting from customs.

They have metered taxis as well as shuttles that can take up to 4 persons and it is the shuttle I am suggesting for about $100. Uber is the next most dependable option. I'd be a little wary of anyone else showing up late or worse.

Based on how early I see folks stepping out of the Oasis terminal, I believe you can easily depart by 8 then get to the airport by 9am if not earlier. But I will punt and let others give more accurate real experiences.

My bigger concern would be the dependability of your car service. Do you have someone in mind? You cannot afford a no-show so I suggest you get a private shuttle from 888-transportation who will have cars waiting (and a live dispatcher to talk to) thanks to their port contract. You just walk to the left outside after exiting from customs.

They have metered taxis as well as shuttles that can take up to 4 persons and it is the shuttle I am suggesting for about $100. Uber is the next most dependable option. I'd be a little wary of anyone else showing up late or worse.

Thanks so much. I was going to pre-book a private car as that way there is no waiting for other passengers and no waiting for others to be dropped off at the airport first. But you seem to be suggesting that a private shuttle service may be available as we get off the ship. I will see if I can see any reviews for that service. Thanks again

Thanks so much. I was going to pre-book a private car as that way there is no waiting for other passengers and no waiting for others to be dropped off at the airport first. But you seem to be suggesting that a private shuttle service may be available as we get off the ship. I will see if I can see any reviews for that service. Thanks again

Yip - private car or private shuttle is basically the same idea (you are not sharing the ride). They differ in terms of type of car (van, limo sedan), cost and dependability.

You will not get a black sedan with 888 but their benefit is the fact that they have a live dispatcher at a stand outside the terminal so you KNOW you have a car ready and waiting! No-one else can offer that dependability although Uber is very good here too.

Not knowing the size of your family and luggage count, you probably do not need a van. Here is a typical private fixed-rate car (not metered) from 888 for 1-4 persons:

888-taxi.jpg

Yip - private car and private shuttle is basically the same idea (you are not sharing the ride). They differ in terms of type of car (van, limo sedan), cost and dependability.

You will not get a black sedan with 888 but their benefit is the fact that they have a live dispatcher at a stand outside the terminal so you KNOW you have a car ready and waiting! No-one else can offer that dependability although Uber is very good here too.

Not knowing the size of your family and luggage count, you probably do not need a van. Here is a typical private fixed-rate car (not metered) from 888 for 1-4 persons:

888-taxi.jpg

Thanks so much. Failing the airline agreeing to change for no or minimal fee I will go this route. You are right. The cars (there are just 2 of us) can be dispatched quite quickly - baring any long line to order.

I just booked non-refundable tickets, using various points programs that originally had us flying from MCO to Toronto at 11:55 am for March 2018. I was quite confident we could make that flight. However it looks like air Canada has changed their flight departure time to 10:35 am instead!!!! I don't know if Orlando has TSA pre-clearance, but if they do we can use our Nexxus cards to go through that line but if we do a walk-off from Oasis and pre-book a car service I am hoping that the latest we could be at MCO would be 9 am which should give us enough time.

Can anyone speak to their actual experience about how early they made it to MCO doing self-disembark ? I don't need suggestions to change my flight but thank you just want to hear of experience to date.

Our experience with the Oasis is if you do self assist you should be off the Oasis well before 7am. We just got off last Sunday and we were walking off at 6:30....

Just a suggestion.....a lot of people will choose to do self assist on the Oasis, so my suggestion is to go down really early to get in line before all the elevators become jammed!

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!

Thanks so much. Failing the airline agreeing to change for no or minimal fee I will go this route. You are right. The cars (there are just 2 of us) can be dispatched quite quickly - baring any long line to order.

For peace of mind, I do suggest you contact 888 and book your private return ride before you cruise!

Our experience with the Oasis is if you do self assist you should be off the Oasis well before 7am. We just got off last Sunday and we were walking off at 6:30....

Just a suggestion.....a lot of people will choose to do self assist on the Oasis, so my suggestion is to go down really early to get in line before all the elevators become jammed!

Thank you - this gives me some comfort. I am sure I will be sick of eating by then so missing breakfast for peace of mind will be an easy choice!!!

I would call A/C and see if you can get on a later flight

tell them you are getting off a cruise & no way you can make the earlier flight that is why you booked the original flight times

For International/transborder flights you usually need to check in 2 hrs prior so check their check in time also

if all else fails at least you can try the early walk off to make the flight

"Can anyone speak to their actual experience about how early they made it to MCO doing self-disembark?

I don't need suggestions to change my flight but thank you just want to hear of experience to date."

For your March 2018 Cruise…

You are talking about something that is going to be bothering you for the next year.

We have been here. We made our flight.

Good luck. (I hope you feel lucky)

BTW, IMHO, It’s not worth it.

Change your flight.

If I may ask, what time did you get in line, and how long was the line at that point?

Thanks!

If I may ask, what time did you get in line, and how long was the line at that point?

Thanks!

The three times we have sailed an Oasis class ship we go down to get in line about 5:45-6:00am. There is always at least 50-75 people already in line. Very shortly after that the line gets extremely long and the elevators get jammed.

Yes it is a long time to stand in line but if you are going to do self assist and get through Customs before it backs up, it's worth it.

Have a wonderful cruise!!

I know the OP is looking for comments on the actual experiences and not on changing flights, but I have to add a couple of comments:

First, almost every flight I have booked more than 6 months out has had changes made to it by the airline. They all have been very accommodating in getting me a flight that will work.

Second, if this does not work, ask about a full refund and then book another line.

I know the OP is looking for comments on the actual experiences and not on changing flights, but I have to add a couple of comments:

First, almost every flight I have booked more than 6 months out has had changes made to it by the airline. They all have been very accommodating in getting me a flight that will work.

Second, if this does not work, ask about a full refund and then book another line.

By way of update, I figured it wouldn't hurt to call and ask about possibly changing to a later flight. Because they just changed their flight schedule A/C was very accommodating and put me on a 3:15 pm flight without charge or penalty. Thanks to all for their advice. I have to agree with $hip$hape - I probably would have worried for the next 11 months - just wasn't worth stressing about.:)

By way of update, I figured it wouldn't hurt to call and ask about possibly changing to a later flight. Because they just changed their flight schedule A/C was very accommodating and put me on a 3:15 pm flight without charge or penalty. Thanks to all for their advice. I have to agree with $hip$hape - I probably would have worried for the next 11 months - just wasn't worth stressing about.:)

That's great news! Now you have to figure out what to do with your idle time! You have many hours to kill before your flight. :D

We rented a car for the day, the one way drop off was cheap with no penalty for a one way drop off. We had a nice breakfast on the ship. Got the shuttle to the car rental (it was about $30 CDN) and went to Disney Springs for the day. It was hot, but there is plenty to do in Orlando.

Do get to the airport early, the lines can be awful but not for Nexus or those with TSA pre-clearance!!!

We rented a car for the day, the one way drop off was cheap with no penalty for a one way drop off. We had a nice breakfast on the ship. Got the shuttle to the car rental (it was about $30 CDN) and went to Disney Springs for the day. It was hot, but there is plenty to do in Orlando.

Do get to the airport early, the lines can be awful but not for Nexus or those with TSA pre-clearance!!!

Great suggestion!! I do have Nexus so hopefully that we give us a bit of extra "play" time.