Currently on Nautica - Mumbai to Athens

JoePDX

45172f479dcfcf14fb185bb49f131c8d.jpg

I always love seeing a ship with the signal flags flying. In this case they were flying to welcome the new cruisers who would soon be enjoying all Nautica has to offer...and being served so well by the amazing crew....

Had a nice final breakfast on the back terrace at the Terrace Cafe. One last healthy sticky bun. Many goodbyes.

They called for disembarkation to start right at 7:30 am. We walked off the ship, quick shuttle to the terminal, gathered our luggage and were with our Athens guide and on our way 15 minutes later. Loved that! A quick tour of Athens including time at the Athenian Agora then to the airport by 11:30.

4f844807a2ea8504f0d1aa3ccf2d78a6.jpg

Landed in Lyon just before four and were at our place in in the Aveyron region of France by 9:00 pm. Ended the night at our favorite bar on the main square surrounded by friends. Even though we had to say goodbye to Nautica, life is still good. [emoji632][emoji4]

Joe & Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

here's what i've learned traveling.....on ATW especially....i made Mr. Wonderful stop, we put our arms around each other and we just took in where we were.

I call it "having a moment" because sometimes we got caught up in trying to see everything, and forgot to just breathe and look around.

You could look at people's faces and see how stressed they were. Several couples smiled at us and then I explained....and they began to do the same.

So we've had moments at the top of part of the Great Wall, looking at the Taj, Angkor Wat, sailing along, etc.

To Joe and Jeff, getting off ship and going to Lyon and breathing.....well done!!!

here's what i've learned traveling.....on ATW especially....i made Mr. Wonderful stop, we put our arms around each other and we just took in where we were.

I call it "having a moment" because sometimes we got caught up in trying to see everything, and forgot to just breathe and look around.

You could look at people's faces and see how stressed they were. Several couples smiled at us and then I explained....and they began to do the same.

So we've had moments at the top of part of the Great Wall, looking at the Taj, Angkor Wat, sailing along, etc.

To Joe and Jeff, getting off ship and going to Lyon and breathing.....well done!!!

cbb.....very good advice. Thank you. Barry

globevest--

the other thing I do is, in the evening i clink glasses with Mr. Wonderful and say, "just think where we are on a map" and its pretty amazing...especially when you're reallllly far from home! How lucky and blessed we are to travel...

Love it! Being in the moment is so important. I'm not going to let life rush by..... We have also made a commitment to each other that we are not going to put things off "for tomorrow". So we grab the ring and go!

In our little medieval village life goes slow.... People joke this area is 20 years behind Paris... I love it just the way it is....

a466229bc21332bc65c7a0100d085860.jpg

Au Revoir!

Joe

Joe,

Mr wonderful's mom died very suddenly at 58, and my father the same at 64 so neither couple got to experience retirement as they had hoped for...and, as children from the Depression, what they had worked so hard for.

Those 2 deaths were a wake-up call for us then in our late 20s early 30s; do NOT put travel off. Go and do now. Our child was taken out of elementary school for all sorts of adventures and i do not regret anything.

I'm so glad you two have learned such a valuable lesson. One bad second can change everything.

Joe,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your wonderful cruise. We'll be boarding the Nautica on June 1 and are looking forward to the cruise. We also agree with your philosophy - life is short, make the best of it. Wishing all good things to you and Jeff.

• 4 weeks later...
Margie & Art-

I will post details on all our tours and my impressions after we get home on May 15.... so keep following. :cool:

Joe

Joe, Welcome back! Just wondering if you will post details on your tours....or could you contact me at bonitacondo at cs dot com

Thanks, Karen

Thanks so much for your awesome posts and pictures! Many bring back memories from prior cruises. You are so right - never put off traveling - you never know what is going to happen down the road. My Father said that right before he passed away. While he was able to see a little of the world, he always regretted he didn't start when he was younger. So, in fine fashion, we are off to the Baltic in September!

Hi All -

Thanks again for all the nice comments. We had such an amazing time on Nautica. What a great cruise with incredible stops and some very nice, happy travelers. We met a lot of nice people. And the crew - just amazing! We are still trying to get back to reality - work (!!!), making beds, cooking, cleaning. All those things we so took for granted on Nautica - actually not fully for granted, we made sure the crew knew how much they were appreciated! I will get to a full review hopefully soon....

Here are details on the sources for my private tours as several of you have requested. I copied this from an email I sent to someone, so feel free to ask questions if I didn't cover everything you want to know. I also have information on the tour companies I used for Salalah, Limassol and Rhodes.

MUMBAI: Definitely stay at the Taj Mahal Palace. And if you can swing it stay in the Palace (historic) part of the hotel. I watched rates for several months and finally snagged a rate on Orbitz that was around 30% less than the TAJ website. But I also had a fully cancel able reservation in reserve. But even if the historic side is not in the cards and you opt for the 1970's era tower, you still have access to all the public rooms of the historic part of the hotel. We had booked a club level room (which included transfer from the airport). Upon arrival in Mumbai, we walked out of customs, there was a guy with a Taj Mahal Palace sign, he confirmed our names and then we had two people take our luggage and we were whisked to a car, put in the back seat with AC running and then had a liveried driver take us off to the hotel (30 plus minute drive at midnight). When we pulled up in front of the hotel, a gentleman opened my door and said "Welcome to the Taj Mahal Palace Mr. Tonn. We have upgraded you to a suite if that is OK (!!!) and will take you there directly." Totally blown away. We wound up with the Spanish Suite https://sg.oyster.com/india/hotels/the-taj-mahal-palace/photos/spanish-suite/ which comprised four rooms and amazing views of the Gateway to India. Breakfast in the Sea Lounge and since we had a suite (but would have been same for Club Room) we also had access 24x7 to the Palace Lounge for drinks and snacks.

We embarked Nautica the next afternoon and overnighted on the ship in Mumbai. I also arranged for a driver to take us from the hotel to the Green Gate of the cruise terminal. Again liveried driver - was about $20. At the Green Gate you get out, there are porters there to move your luggage. You show your cruise reservation and passports and then get on a shuttle bus for the quick ride to the ship. Oceania handled checkin right on the ship in the Nautica Lounge.

On Saturday we did a tour with Grand Mumbai Tours. 21 Best Tour - all people from Nautica (five couples). http://www.grandmumbai.com/?gclid=CO7Wr5y6idQCFUhqfgodlO0NrQ info@grandmumbai.com Pranav (owner/guide) is AMAZING. He loves his city and knows all the back alleys - we saw so much in 6+ hours. Make sure he gets you Samosas from outside the Hare Krishna Temple. SO GOOD! Wish I had one now! He is more than other tours, but he also uses a driver rather than being both guide and driver, which would be downright dangerous in Mumbai! Again a great tour - made even more great by Pranav and his enthusiasm.

PETRA: I used Best Shore Trips. Ahmed in their office was very helpful, professional and prompt in all his communications with me. bestshoretrip@gmail.com Guide was good (can't remember his name) he walked with us into Petra pointing out interesting items along the way. Once we were in Petra - after a quick orientation we had an hour plus to explore. IT'S HUGE, so don't expect to do more than scratch the surface. Lot's of sellers trying to sell you stuff or get you to ride a camel or donkey. Make sure you negotiate! Guide then met us back at the main gate at an appointed time. Notes on the walk in - it's mostly down hill (gradual) on the way in. Once you are in the Siq, it's mostly shaded. We were lucky with a high temp that day of less than 80, but it was still hot! It was 20 degrees warmer a couple days before we arrived. The walk out through the Siq is pretty gradual. We took a couple rest stops. Once you are out of the Siq you are in the sun for the last quarter mile or so. And it's more uphill to the main gate. Horses are available (included in your ticket, but they do expect a BIG tip - for the two of us it was $20 - extortion....). But ride the horses we did (my first time!). You can also get a two person carriage from the Treasury all the way to the main gate for $40 US (make sure you have your guide negotiate). After we reassembled we stopped at a hotel for sack lunches which we ate on the way to Wadi Rum. Wadi Rum was really a delight. You get into the back of 4x4 pickups (Toyota sized) and take off across the desert driven by a bedouin. They make several stops at interesting places. I think we drove around for a couple hours. Then back to the ship. It was a long day around 12 hours. I had a group of 11 - cost was $185 per person. Oceania charges $559 per person. All in all an amazing day and well handled by the guide and driver. But you will do a lot of walking!

LUXOR: I used Ramses Tours (also known as Ramasside Tours). http://www.ramassidetours.com/ I worked with Eslam Abo-Gazia for all the planning. He was prompt, professional and quick in his responses. I arranged for a group of 11. One couple had to cancel a couple days before the tour due to illness. Ramasside did not charge them anything, even though they were willing to pay. Good service! I arranged an overnight that wound up being $250 per person which included guide, driver, armed guard, hotel, two lunches and breakfast along with entry fees to Karnak Temple, Luxor Temple, Valley of the Kings, Hepshetsut Temple. Oceania charges $699 for a similar overnight. Guide was Ahmed (also goes by Dida) and he was EXCELLENT! Really one of the best guides we have ever encountered. We stayed at the Steigenberger Nile Palace Hotel (good, but not five star, but right on the Nile and fine for an overnight). Extras which were optional: Karnak light show ($35 good) and hot air balloon ride ($110) which was amazing. Four of our group did the balloon ride. We also paid extra to see Tut's tomb ($5) and the tomb of Seti IX ($5). Valley of the Kings entry includes entry to three "non premium" tombs - guide directed us to the best ones. We saw so much. Guide was very open to dropping the "shopping stops" - there were two one to an alabaster carver (which we did do) and then the papyrus factory (which we opted out of). Know it's a 4 to 4/12 hour drive to Luxor from Safaga - with one rest stop of 20 minutes or so - and not much to see along the way.....unpretty desert.... We got back to Safaga well after dark on the second day, so again a couple of long days. So much history to see.

ISRAEL: I used local guide Moki Schwartz. http://www.mokitours.com/ Group of 8 for an overnight to Jerusalem. Picked up in Haifa at 7:30, saw Bahai Gardens from an overlook in Haifa, then drove to Ceasarea for a tour (entry ~$10). Then proceeded on to Jerusalem. Checked into our hotel so that anyone who wanted to could head back early. I chose the Harmony Hotel http://www.atlas.co.il/harmony-hotel-jerusalem/?gclid=CKXp_PG_idQCFVKPfgod8ikFjQ - great location, very clean and included happy hour and breakfast (approx ~$200 a night). Next we headed to the Jaffa Gate and started a tour of the Jewish part of the city. Ended at the Western Wall. Moki knows all the back alleys and great vistas. We were there on Friday, so headed back to the hotel around 4:30 before Shabbat - Moki had made us reservations at a nearby restaurant that would be open. We went with a Jewish couple in the group to Shabbat service at a local Synagogue. Then wandered on to dinner. Next day we focused on the Christian and Muslim quarters with a new guide OMER. Moki's sister in law had given birth and the second day coincided with the Bris and he was asked to be the godfather, thus he found us the guide for the second day. I don't have Omer's contact info, but if Moki isn't available, highly recommend Omer too - he is a friend of Moki's. In the end it was $250 per person for the two day trip, not including hotel, entrance fees or meals. Omer took us to a falafel/shwarma restaurant the second day in the Muslim quarter that was really a highlight! Totally local and so good!

Have a great day! Looking forward to spending the weekend at our cabin, on the deck overlooking the river and relaxing and reading.... So life is good on land too! :D

Joe

Edited by JoePDX

joe.....thanks for all the great info! We've just started researching guides and hotels for this cruise next year (except we go finish in Rome)!

Glad you had a wonderful cruise....where to next? Ahhhh, the question for all of us!!! c

We have been in the Suez Canal since around 3 am (per Captain, no first hand knowledge). We headed north in the new channel that opened in 2015. Around 11:30 am we entered the original channel and will be in it until we reach the Mediterranean Sea.

Captain said we should be proud as Nautica is leading the convoy of approximately 25 ships. Directly behind us is a car carrier, then QM2 then Celebrity Constellation.

We have pictures of your ship.... we were on the Celebrity Constellation, right behind the QM2. When we turned corners, we could see your ship

Hi Joe, Could you email me so I can get a little more information regarding your tour with Moki in Jerusalem. Thank you,

Vickie bcvcus@yahoo.com

Hi Vickie -

Just sent you an email. Our emails sometimes wind up in spam/junk, so check there if it's not in your inbox.

Joe. :D

joe.....thanks for all the great info! We've just started researching guides and hotels for this cruise next year (except we go finish in Rome)!

Glad you had a wonderful cruise....where to next? Ahhhh, the question for all of us!!! c

Hi Cynthia -

We booked an April 2019 cruise while we were on board.

It's Singapore to Dubai, again on Nautica. Mainly for a double overnight in Myanmar. Also three ports in Southern India (get some use of the India 10 year visa!). All the ports on the trip will be new to us except for Singapore and Mumbai. But it's a long way off! :o

Joe

Hi. We did the voyage last year( HK to Athens) and enjoyed it in the same way as you have.

As you will be in Myanmar, which is a wonderful place, can I recommend Myanmar Shalom Travels. We had a 3 day tour around Myanmar and environs for about $250 each. There were 7 in our group and I would suggest you form a similar small group as there is so much to see and hear. Our guide was Thanda and she was exceptional - a good choice if available. Nothing was a trouble.

Joe,

thanks again for the wonderful thread!!!

I wonder if you will fall in love with Myanmar as I did. I told several people that if i was 20 years younger I'd be trying to get a teaching job there.

I fell in love with the people--they are trying so hard to rebuild and there are so many young people who are so earnest about democracy and the future. It would be a joy to teach there, I think.

One of our guides told us that his father had survived the Khmer Rouge (you really don't see many elderly there) but suffers from what our guide now realizes is PTSD.

He also said that now dad will make 1-2 oblique references about what he went through but then nothing more for months.

Going to Angkor Wat? Also take a boat ride on the Chao Phraya in Bangkok if time permits....excellent way to see how people live....just a cool thing to do, we thought. Loved Vietnam!!!

Our next ones are December'17 for a month around Australia, then a month starting in late April'18 Mumbai-Rome, then (hopefully!!!) October'18 for a week around Cuba--all with O.

Taking your advice we hurriedly booked a room at Taj Mahal Palace Hotel but will only fly in the day before we board. The room was reduced some but I decided not to do the historical wing since we'll get there after midnight and will be exhausted. Probably wouldn't appreciate the fabulousness of it.

Instead we'll walk through the hotel and soak up the history, find something to eat, and go to the ship. We then have 2 sea days to get over jet lag!!! Several ATW16 had problems stemming from India visits--mine was breathing and coughing, but most others was more "food-related." (and i don't have lung problems it was just dry and dusty so we're limiting the time spent in India!!!)

we have our Luxor guide, and one of our traveling companions is working on Petra guide. We get 4 "free" shorex so figure we'll use them for the UAE ports. European ports will be DIY--been to those ports before.....

anyway, fabulous thread and i know you're going to have a wonderful cruise next year!!!

any more thoughts on your cruise.....type away!!!

Hi Cynthia -

We booked an April 2019 cruise while we were on board.

It's Singapore to Dubai, again on Nautica. Mainly for a double overnight in Myanmar. Also three ports in Southern India (get some use of the India 10 year visa!). All the ports on the trip will be new to us except for Singapore and Mumbai. But it's a long way off! :o

Joe

We did Singapore to Abu Dhabi on Nautica this year. It is a great itinerary - enjoy!

Along the lines of your reasoning about the Taj hotel in Mumbai, consider staying at the Marina Bay Sands hotel - well worth the splurge for the pool, views and the location, IMO.

http://www.marinabaysands.com/#pcl5372uHqfUUbfL.97

We did Singapore to Abu Dhabi on Nautica this year. It is a great itinerary - enjoy!

Along the lines of your reasoning about the Taj hotel in Mumbai, consider staying at the Marina Bay Sands hotel - well worth the splurge for the pool, views and the location, IMO.

http://www.marinabaysands.com/#pcl5372uHqfUUbfL.97

Thanks for the suggestion Paul. I had been looking at the Marina Bay Sands and also Raffles, although the latter will likely be outside our budget range. ::o

Joe

Hi. We did the voyage last year( HK to Athens) and enjoyed it in the same way as you have.

As you will be in Myanmar, which is a wonderful place, can I recommend Myanmar Shalom Travels. We had a 3 day tour around Myanmar and environs for about $250 each. There were 7 in our group and I would suggest you form a similar small group as there is so much to see and hear. Our guide was Thanda and she was exceptional - a good choice if available. Nothing was a trouble.

Thanks for the suggestion. Much appreciated.

Joe

Thanks for the suggestion Paul. I had been looking at the Marina Bay Sands and also Raffles, although the latter will likely be outside our budget range. ::o

Joe

You can always go to the Raffles for The Sling :D