Recommendation for San Diego - Cruise Terminal/City

GlennG

My wife and I have just booked a Hawaiian cruise for January 2018. The cruise begins and ends in San Diego. My wife and I are not very familiar with the San Diego cruise terminal or the city. Our experience with embarkation and disembarkation has been almost exclusively in Port Everglades. While we are looking forward to our cruise, we became quite comfortable with Port Everglades and the processes used at that port. Can experienced cruisers give us any advice and observations about the San Diego Cruise Port? In addition, we will have a full day to explore the City of San Diego prior to our cruise. Are there any recommendations that you can give us regarding any tours or "points of interest" that can be scheduled for a single day? (As an aside, we have booked a hotel for downtown San Diego.) Any suggestions, recommendations, and observations will be very much appreciated.

We just did that cruise this past January. We stayed at the Best Westerrn Bayside. They have a shuttle that will pick you up from the airport and also do R/T from the cruiseport. This hotel is centrally located to a lot of restaurants, walkable to the wharf, the battleship and very reasonable if you make reservations well ahead of time. You can walk to see the aircraft carrier, but I would advise getting tickets ahead of time. It will keep you from standing in line at the ticket office.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

San Diego is a beautiful city and an easy port. I might be biased since I live here...

The cruise port is immediately adjacent to the downtown area and the airport is only 2 miles away from the port/downtown.

A lot of people will recommend the hotel right across the street from the port. That is fine for some, but don't let a 1-mile taxi/shuttle/uber/lyft ride exclude the better hotels. Also, avoid having to sleep in a room facing the railroad tracks.

I would recommend that you spend the day visiting Balboa Park (museums and gardens), which is just north of the downtown area. I would also recommend visiting the maritime museums, especially the carrier Midway, at the cruise port.

http://www.midway.org/

igraf

... Can experienced cruisers give us any advice and observations about the San Diego Cruise Port? In addition, we will have a full day to explore the City of San Diego prior to our cruise. Are there any recommendations that you can give us regarding any tours or "points of interest" that can be scheduled for a single day? ....

We have stayed many times at the Embassy Suites both pre and post cruise.

It is within walking distance of Midway, the Fish Market restaurant for lunch and dinner, Seaport Village (lots of shops and restaurants) and Horton Plaza (more shops and restaurants). It is just a short taxi ride from the airport to many hotels and to the pier.

We also enjoyed the Zoo and Balboa Park -- took the bus.

The main difference is that Port Everglades can have as many as 8 ships at the same time and handle them exceptionally well.. In San Diego there are many issues when 2 are ported on the same day.

2018 is too far ahead for a reasonable search to conclude what other vessel might be here on that day.

Other than that we have beautiful beaches, the world famous zoo, Sea World, Old Town, Gaslamp District,

and more. Coaster rail service has expanded and so has the light rail system. By 2018 you'll have many options.

I hope many readers of CC will come to realize that San Diego has much to offer all year.....so please come an see us.

David

It is within walking distance of Midway, the Fish Market restaurant for lunch and dinner, Seaport Village (lots of shops and restaurants) and Horton Plaza (more shops and restaurants). It is just a short taxi ride from the airport to many hotels and to the pier.

I believe the Fish Market and Fishette closed a few months ago.😟

We cruised out of San Diego last November (2016) with two ships embarking on the same day. The impact of two ships amounted to a 20-30 minute queue through security. The second part where we were processed by HAL was just a few minutes as the security queue was the bottleneck. So for us it wasn't worse than most other embarkation ports, though we did take the edge off by arriving at the port after 1pm.

The San Diego Port cruise calendar is currently showing port activity through June 2018:

https://www.portofsandiego.org/document/cruise/7763-2016-2017-san-diego-cruise-calendar/file.html

It appears that the January 17, 2018 Oosterdam departure to Hawaii is a single-ship day.

igraf

The main difference is that Port Everglades can have as many as 8 ships at the same time and handle them exceptionally well.. In San Diego there are many issues when 2 are ported on the same day.

2018 is too far ahead for a reasonable search to conclude what other vessel might be here on that day.

Edited by igraf

We cruised out of San Diego last November (2016) with two ships embarking on the same day. The impact of two ships amounted to a 20-30 minute queue through security. The second part where we were processed by HAL was just a few minutes as the security queue was the bottleneck. So for us it wasn't worse than most other embarkation ports, though we did take the edge off by arriving at the port after 1pm.

The San Diego Port cruise calendar is currently showing port activity through June 2018:

https://www.portofsandiego.org/document/cruise/7763-2016-2017-san-diego-cruise-calendar/file.html

It appears that the January 17, 2018 Oosterdam departure to Hawaii is a single-ship day.

igraf

Thank you, igraf. This is really good information for us. By the way, we have heard from travel agents that the embarkation process in San Diego can be quite slow compared to Port Everglades. I have one question for you. While waiting in the security queue, did you have to stand outdoors or indoors?

Thank you, igraf. This is really good information for us. By the way, we have heard from travel agents that the embarkation process in San Diego can be quite slow compared to Port Everglades. I have one question for you. While waiting in the security queue, did you have to stand outdoors or indoors?

San Diego can be kind of screwed up, with boarding delays if there is more than 1 ship in port. I've always gone thru security inside.

Roz

The port workers had us sitting down in groups indoors (there were plenty of chairs), and then called us when it was our turn to get in the security line. I thought that they handled the situation well.

As you can see from the port calendar, San Diego doesn't have cruise ships every day and it is just a few times per year that there are two ships in port. I find it unreasonably that some people expect them to staff up for one busy day when they already are not working every day. Your best bet is to arrive later in the day (after 1:30pm) at the port if you don't want to wait in line. Also, ships that embark in San Diego tend to be medium-sized ships. It is not like that they are boarding the Oasis of the Seas here.

igraf

We are on a 12 night Mexico from Vancouver leaving Sept 25. We arrive in San Diego mid cruise on Sept 30 when the Coastal passengers disembark and the 7 night passengers embark- I see NCL is there also that day.

Could be a bit of a wait for security if we decide to go ashore that day. Wonder which dock Oosterdam will get?

The port workers had us sitting down in groups indoors (there were plenty of chairs), and then called us when it was our turn to get in the security line. I thought that they handled the situation well.

As you can see from the port calendar, San Diego doesn't have cruise ships every day and it is just a few times per year that there are two ships in port. I find it unreasonably that some people expect them to staff up for one busy day when they already are not working every day. Your best bet is to arrive later in the day (after 1:30pm) at the port if you don't want to wait in line. Also, ships that embark in San Diego tend to be medium-sized ships. It is not like that they are boarding the Oasis of the Seas here.

igraf

The lines form inside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cruise terminal will be busiest around noon. Go out and have fun, but if you wish to avoid security delays then don't return to the ship until after 2pm. 3pm would be even better.

I don't know if they have a separate entrance for continuing passengers. Anyone??

igraf

We are on a 12 night Mexico from Vancouver leaving Sept 25. We arrive in San Diego mid cruise on Sept 30 when the Coastal passengers disembark and the 7 night passengers embark- I see NCL is there also that day.

Could be a bit of a wait for security if we decide to go ashore that day. Wonder which dock Oosterdam will get?

The Fish Market is alive an well, just 1/4 mile south of the pier (south of the USS MIdway). Anthony's Fish Grotto closed a month ago....which is north of the SD pier. The plan is for The Brigantine chain to renovate and move in.

David

The cruise terminal will be busiest around noon. Go out and have fun, but if you wish to avoid security delays then don't return to the ship until after 2pm. 3pm would be even better.

I don't know if they have a separate entrance for continuing passengers. Anyone??

igraf

Considering two thirds of the ship was staying on to Mexico last year it was total confusion. They kept saying the ship had to zero out for us to re-board. When a worker finally walked us through the terminal the security person on the ship tried to say we couldn't board because boarding hadn't started. He finally understood and begrudgingly let us back on. We told the Concierge about the confusion in the terminal. She and the Guest Service Mgr went ashore and straightened them out.

A separate entrance for returning passengers would have been great.

There was no confusion. You exited past the point of no return, and could not reboard until the ship had been cleared.. Had you stayed on the ship, you would have been just fine.

A separate entrance is available for in transit guests.....but after general boarding has started....and there are signs and directional personnel to answer your questions as to where to proceed.

David

An announcement was made onboard that the ship had cleared and in transit passengers were welcome to go ashore and could come and go like any port stop. We even double checked with the Concierge. We received a bottle of wine later and apologies for the "confusion" in the terminal. We were not on a back to back or collectors cruise- it was an 11 night cruise with a stop in San Diego. We cleared US Customs and Immigration in Vancouver and were in Santa Barbara the day before.

David, good answer on the seafood restaurants. Live in Orange County and visit S.D. every year. Usually stay at Porto Vista in Little Italy, short walk to the restaurants, no parking issues. They have free airport shuttle, believe they charge$5 for shuttle to the ship.

The Fish Market is alive an well, just 1/4 mile south of the pier (south of the USS MIdway). Anthony's Fish Grotto closed a month ago....which is north of the SD pier. The plan is for The Brigantine chain to renovate and move in.

David

Thanks. I'll have to check it out next time I'm in the area. I thought Anthony's was the Fish Market.

I can see how this could happen. Most ships are either 100% disembarkation/embarkation or just visiting the port. You trip was unusual with a partial disembarkation/embarkation, and then your reboarding attempt was during the time of maximum processing (clearing the ship).

As I said earlier, just avoid trying to reboard during this time knowing that there is a disembarkation/embarkation process happening, particularly so at a port that only operates once a week or so.

Not blaming anyone here, just being practical.

igraf

An announcement was made onboard that the ship had cleared and in transit passengers were welcome to go ashore and could come and go like any port stop. We even double checked with the Concierge. We received a bottle of wine later and apologies for the "confusion" in the terminal. We were not on a back to back or collectors cruise- it was an 11 night cruise with a stop in San Diego. We cleared US Customs and Immigration in Vancouver and were in Santa Barbara the day before.

I can see how this could happen. Most ships are either 100% disembarkation/embarkation or just visiting the port. You trip was unusual with a partial disembarkation/embarkation, and then your reboarding attempt was during the time of maximum processing (clearing the ship).

As I said earlier, just avoid trying to reboard during this time knowing that there is a disembarkation/embarkation process happening, particularly so at a port that only operates once a week or so.

Not blaming anyone here, just being practical.

igraf

We also had am a challenging port day. We needed to go ashore first thing in the morning to do some quick shopping, bring our purchases back, and meet my family at 11:30 at Anthony's. We double checked on board and were told no problem- was just a normal port day for us. They said once the "cleared" announcement was made we were good to go.

I spoke to another passenger later that was also stuck in the terminal trying to re-board at about 11:00 and she said that once the GSM came ashore and spoke to the shore staff all was good.

Just a reminder here in San Diego at the pier:

Saturday MS Veendam

Monday MS Euordam

Tuesday MS Oosterdam

MS Nieuw Amsterdam

Wednesday MS. Maasdam

All of these are partial embark/debark days because the ships are re-positioning for the summer Alaska season.

David