RCCL versus NCL

Would like to hear comments of likes & dislikes from people who have sailed both RCCL & NCL so that we can have some basis for comparison. We are looking at a Canada cruise on Serenade of Seas out of Boston & NCL Gem out of NYC. Both have the same ports. Hopefully some people have sailed both & can provide us with some useful information.

I can't answer that for you because people may bash me for giving all my long list of why we don't like NCL, but I tell you something, we never would go NCL again and our last ship was the Breakaway a newer ship, too many negatives and never again! Stick to RC trust me.

I've done NCL Pearl and RCCL Jewel of the Seas, similar class ships from each line, and preferred JOS. Neither ship is really my style, both older and to me felt not that difference in size.

With the Jewel I felt like the royal ship overall was a nicer experience and the ship, as a whole is more enjoyable and more beautiful in appearance. Wonderful and attentive staff.

The food was comparable in quality and selection. I do prefer the food on NCL though normally. The rooms are both nice, NCL has a more spacious bathroom.

Both will have similar activities onboard but the pool area is nicer on royal. Gem is freestyle so it's more casual, no set dining which is lovely.

So although I haven't been on the exact ships you are comparing, I've been on the sister ships. If I had to choose I'd go with Serenade of the Seas.

I have personally been on the Gem and know somebody who has been on the Serenade. I can confidently say that they are both good ships. They are both newly renovated, but the Gem was completely redone and looks better than ever now.

Go on the Gem if you:

• have kids/like activities onboard like bowling
  • want a bigger ship
  • are booking a suite
  • want better dining/more options
  • live closer to New York

Go on the Serenade if you:

• are alone or traveling with other adults
  • don't need the features of a bigger ship
  • want a more relaxed environment
  • want lots of windows
  • live closer to Boston

i can say that NCL gives you pricing up front on everything. royal makes you buy a cruise and then log in and see what the prices are for drinks. internet etc. also there is no hard and fast rule like on NCL about when you can reserve dinner/activities etc. so you literally have to check online every day to see if northstar has opened up or if your drink pack is on sale or even available. also prices change for stuff like that.

NCL has up front pricing that really never changes and its on the site before you book so there are NO surprises.

also for your specialty dining pack you do NOT make your initial reservations. they choose where you will eat. im told you can change it immediately on board but to me its insane. NCL lets you buy the SDP and choose when and where you want. period.

royal has 4 MDR on the anthem and i'm told if you are not traditional dining, you cannot see certain dining rooms. imagine on breakaway you being told you cannot eat in taste or savor. its crazy

but its their rules. i will let you know in december if all the more wonderful things about embarking in NJ and the winter ship anthem are true. i really hope they are.

We have sailed on Royal 10 times and on NCL Getaway and NCL Escape. We enjoyed NCL alot and had no complaints. The lines are very similar except when it comes to the dining aspect, with Royal more formal, same time, same table every night (unless you do MyTime) and NCL eat anywhere, anytime, no formal or dress up attire required, though they do have some rules about dress code (like bathing suits and tank tops).

We've only done Caribbean so I cannot speak to your itinerary, but we just got back from a 10 night on Serenade, which we loved! (I did a review on here Monday.) We were also next to the Gem in St. Maarten and the ships appear to be almost identical in size.

Dollar wise I think you get more bang for your buck on NCL, as when we booked on NCL we got the drink package and the dining package for what Royal wanted just for the cruise. That was the main reason we thought we'd give them a try. For us, service, food and entertainment were all pretty equal. I would probably give the entertainment edge to Royal but it wasn't a glaring difference in our opinion.

Everyone perceives things differently I guess but we wouldn't hesitate to sail on NCL again under the right circumstance and price.

I think either choice you make will be a good one!

i can say that NCL gives you pricing up front on everything. royal makes you buy a cruise and then log in and see what the prices are for drinks. internet etc. also there is no hard and fast rule like on NCL about when you can reserve dinner/activities etc. so you literally have to check online every day to see if northstar has opened up or if your drink pack is on sale or even available. also prices change for stuff like that.

NCL has up front pricing that really never changes and its on the site before you book so there are NO surprises.

also for your specialty dining pack you do NOT make your initial reservations. they choose where you will eat. im told you can change it immediately on board but to me its insane. NCL lets you buy the SDP and choose when and where you want. period.

royal has 4 MDR on the anthem and i'm told if you are not traditional dining, you cannot see certain dining rooms. imagine on breakaway you being told you cannot eat in taste or savor. its crazy

but its their rules. i will let you know in december if all the more wonderful things about embarking in NJ and the winter ship anthem are true. i really hope they are.

OP was asking about the Serenade of the Seas - very different ship from the Anthem.