Formal night?

NICOLA P

Hi everyone ,

We are sailing on the Spirit on the 18th May for ten nights.

Does anyone know which night is likely to be the formal night ?

I know the ship is casual , and some people dont wish to dress up, but just wondered , as we would book a speciality restaurant for that night.

:cool:

To clarify... NCL has "dress up or not" night, but it seems from your original post that you already know about that :)

Actually, "Dress Up or Not" was phased out a few years back when they introduced the Norwegians Night Out Theme Party/Evening.

The problem with "Dress Up or Not" is that EVERY night is actually "Dress Up or Not"...there was nothing different being offered or required on this night than there was on any other night.

Actually, "Dress Up or Not" was phased out a few years back when they introduced the Norwegians Night Out Theme Party/Evening.

And the difference is... ?

I'm genuinely interested because I'm sailing on NCL again in June and last time I sailed with them (January 2016) the name may have changed, but the concept was the same.

I'm genuinely interested because I'm sailing on NCL again in June and last time I sailed with them (January 2016) the name may have changed, but the concept was the same.

The point is that there is no difference. There is no "concept".

You can dress up every single night if you want to. You can dress up on NO nights if you want to. Or you could choose anything in between.

NCL will never require a cruiser to dress up...no matter what night it is.

No venues on board require a cruiser to dress up....no matter what night it is.

NCL got rid of Formal Night back in 2001 with the introduction of Freestyle Cruising. It is now 2017. When are we going to figure out that "Dress Up" is not required here????:rolleyes:

The point is that there is no difference. There is no "concept".

You can dress up every single night if you want to. You can dress up on NO nights if you want to. Or you could choose anything in between.

NCL will never require a cruiser to dress up...no matter what night it is.

No venues on board require a cruiser to dress up....no matter what night it is.

NCL got rid of Formal Night back in 2001 with the introduction of Freestyle Cruising. It is now 2017. When are we going to figure out that "Dress Up" is not required here????:rolleyes:

That's exactly what I thought. Actually, I didn't even know it was ever officially called "Dress Up Or Not" my original post was just a description of the concept :)

However, there is a night (or two) that is understood among the pax as THE night(s) to dress up if they want to.

I can't be bothered... I get enough of that at home.

Thanks for the replys.

I think it's great that some of us like to dress for dinner and some don't . We can all do our own thing .

Another question I'd like to pick your brains on if I may is, is it possible to book the ships photographer for a 30 min session

Photos around the ship , etc . Any idea of photo packages for this . ? Many thanks

That's exactly what I thought. Actually, I didn't even know it was ever officially called "Dress Up Or Not" my original post was just a description of the concept :)

However, there is a night (or two) that is understood among the pax as THE night(s) to dress up if they want to.

I can't be bothered... I get enough of that at home.

It'll be one of the sea days.

I think that just the change of name is important.

I used to hate the concept of "dress up or not" night. It just seemed to go against everything that freestyle stands for as I understand it.

All week, you can choose where or when you eat, what entertainment you see (especially on the newer ships) and what you wear. Except that there was one night where NCL seemed to be saying that this is the night you can dress up if you want.

But, as stated elsewhere, you can dress up every night if you want. That name (and in some ways the continued use of it here) seems to encourage people to think that they are only allowed to dress up on that night.

Changing the name changes that for me. As often as not the onboard details about Norwegian Night Out don't even refer to dress. It's just the night when you can get photos taken with the captain. Some people choose to dress up that night, but for me it makes it just a convenient night to do rather than there seeming to be pressure to make that the night.

The decision not just as to whether I dress up, but also when, is mine. Which is how it should be.