Hello from the Ruby!

ckb104

My Mom is Elite, so we had priority boarding. Seattle was so efficient with all the checkpoints. We arrived by 11am. Boarding was technically scheduled for 1pm. By 12:45, we had boarded, gone to Passenger Services to sign up for the ship tour, squealed over our balcony and waved to people arriving on the pier, and finished eating at the buffet. It was amazing!

If you aren't elite or in a suite (that would be most of us!), I recommend getting there early and taking a book. Oh, and sit near the door in the waiting room. 😀

Sent from my VS820 using Forums mobile app

Thanks you!! Why by the door? We plan to arrive around 11am so hopefully we get on around 1pm? This is my mom's first cruise so I think her first experience cruising has to be the embarkation wait lol 😂

His name is Michael Modzelewski. Don't ask me to pronounce that. 😀

Yay! He was the naturalist on our cruise two years ago and we really enjoyed listening to him. We purchased two of his books and are re-reading them now in preparation for our July trip. Thank you again for your reports.

Thanks you!! Why by the door? We plan to arrive around 11am so hopefully we get on around 1pm? This is my mom's first cruise so I think her first experience cruising has to be the embarkation wait lol 😂

If you're by the door, you'll be at the front of the line when they start boarding. 😀

Thank you for posting! Please post details, details, details! Our first AK cruise and first Princess cruise. June 3 depart from Seattle. Can't wait.

More to come! Hopefully, this afternoon. Thanks for reading. :D

Entertainment:

The cruise director staff was wonderful. Everyone was friendly and fun. My favorites were Raymond, Mark, Vlada and Wally. Kaylee, the Assistant CD, is so sweet. We went to a few of the game shows and loved them. I found the trivia games I attended to be pretty laid-back. I had heard that some people get really competitive and annoying, but we had fun. The Wake Show on your TV is great. They film at a different location or department each day, so you get to learn about the ship while enjoying the show.

We only made it to one production show, which was, Once Upon a Dream. It is exclusive to the Ruby and we loved it! The technicality is amazing. There are 9 projectors to create environments and effects on walls on-stage. You zoom into places and it's so cool. I wish I could describe it better. If you do one show, make it that one. The costumes, songs and dances are wonderful, too.

I'll try to get more posted about various aspects throughout the day. Please ask me questions. I'm better when I know what you are interested in hearing about. =)

Thanks for your insightful info and review. I have a question for the OP. I will be on first Princess cruise out of Seattle. Does boarding for everyone start at noon; meaning they don't open doors to gangway until then. Do people line up or do you get a boarding number once you check in. Thanks

Food:

We only ate in the MDR three times. Both fancy nights and one random other night when the menu looked good. The first time, I had the duck breast starter, which was very nice. For my entrée, I had the fettucine, from the every night menu. I had heard so much about it and it did NOT disappoint. There was a maple glazed salmon on the every night menu for Alaska and I had them add the salmon to my fettucine. He brought the entire plate (with sides), but I asked him to just give me the salmon. I'm pretty picky about salmon and I thought it was very tasty and well-cooked. For dessert, I had crème brule and we shared a chocolate journeys hazelnut bar. Both were so good!

Next MDR night, I had the crab and artichoke dip starter, which wasn't bad. I'm not an onion fan and there were a few too many for my taste, but most people probably wouldn't even notice. For my entrée, I had the pappardelle with wild boar ragout. It was fine. Tasty, but nothing to write home about. They had a halibut dish that looked really good, but it involved curry and I'm not a curry person. That night, there was surf and turf, which was a small filet mignon and prawns. My Mom had that and I coveted it. =) For dessert, we both had the cheesecake from the every night menu and it was delicious.

Our third time in the MDR was the second fancy night, which was the Captain's Gala Dinner. I had the veal ravioli in mushroom sauce as an appetizer. It was good. This was the night they has lobster and prawns, which my Mom had. I tried the beef wellington. I had never had it, but always wanted to try. I wasn't impressed. The puff pastry seemed a little under-done. The beef was great. Nothing was terrible and it might just be my taste and choices. For dessert, I had crème brule again. I love crème brule. We never had lunch or dinner in the MDR.

Way back when I had last cruised, they used to give you menus to take home. They don't do that now. I asked a head waiter about getting copies of the dinner menus and he said he would try and to come back the next day. He had them for me and swore me to secrecy. (sorry!). He even wrapped them in a Patter for me to take away. I will try to get them scanned this week and posted. If anyone has any questions about what is one them, I'm happy to look and answer.

Our first night, on a whim, we tried The Salty Dog. It is located in the Wheelhouse Bar and is a $12 upcharge. Oh my gosh! It was so good! You get a little starter of these long, thin, crispy breadsticks and beer cheese fondue to dip them in. I could have just eaten a pile of those. For your entrée, you pick two. They are little plates. My Mom had the burger, which was fancy with lots of stuff, and the lobster mac & cheese. I had the grilled cheese with white tomato soup. My other entrée was the beef short rib poutine and I want to eat it every day for the rest of my life. It was beef short rib meat in a gravy that defies description (I wish I was better at describing food. I could never be on Food Network). It was over parmesan fries with cheese curds. Wow. For dessert, we had the bourbon chocolate pot de crème and the strawberries and crème mousse. Both were delicious. I recommend trying The Salty Dog. At $12, it's definitely worth it.

Our favorite dinner was at Crown Grill. It is always my Mom's favorite. I am blanking on our starters, but I know I liked them. The entrée made me forget everything. We both had filet mignon and lobster. No one blinked an eye when we ordered both. It was made clear that we could have as much as we wanted. They do the sides family-style and we ordered mashed potatoes, asparagus and wild mushrooms. They accidentally brought us creamed spinach, which neither of us had every had. I liked it, but my Mom loved it and ate most of it. Everything was amazing. Our steaks were cooked perfectly and the lobster was melt-in-your-mouth. I could have eaten at Crown Grill every night, but they would have had to roll me off the ship. That was the one night when we both pigged out. We had the dessert sampler. You get little versions of all four of their desserts. Everything was so yummy.

We didn't eat at Share. Nothing on the menu really spoke to my Mom. We ate our breakfasts at Horizon Court and there was plenty to choose from. For lunches, we had sandwiches from the International Café once. I loved my mozzarella and tomato sandwich! There was a really good shrimp and fennel salad, too. We had burgers at Trident Grill and Pizza on deck a couple times. I loved both!

The International Café is my new happy place. I discovered a tea fusion called Fruit Favorites. It is an iced drink and so tasty. I may have eaten my weight in fruit tartlets and I'm not even sorry. =)

There are always such mixed reviews on Horizon Court. We found it to be great. So much variety, so there is something for everyone. I like to try little bites of things that I might not usually eat or something new to me. I thought everything was really good. If you try to avoid the peak times, it's not usually too busy. We rarely waited in a line and when we did, it was short and we got in quickly.

Thanks for your insightful info and review. I have a question for the OP. I will be on first Princess cruise out of Seattle. Does boarding for everyone start at noon; meaning they don't open doors to gangway until then. Do people line up or do you get a boarding number once you check in. Thanks

I didn't see anything about boarding numbers. I recommend getting there early and getting a seat near the door that opens onto the gangway area. You'll be first in line. We were preferred, since my Mom is Elite. We had a separate sitting area and started boarding a little after 11:30am. It looked like regular boarding started about 12:30pm.

We arrived at the pier about 10:45am (we were dropped off near the door by my Dad) and got through all the check-in stations (baggage, health form, security, actual check-in) pretty quickly. The sooner you get there, the faster that will go. Also, being ready with passport and boarding pass in hand will help. You show that multiple times.

I advise getting there early, being prepared and bringing a book or something to entertain you after you get through and are waiting for the doors to open. :)

A lot of people wonder about the size of the showers. I'm a size 28 (us), so that was a concern of mine. My fat butt fit in the shower just fine. It wasn't roomy and a couple times, I stuck my leg out and propped it on the toilet, but I was able to do everything I needed and get clean.

I had seen advice to use the showers in the spa. We looked around the ship the first day and saw the showers in the Lotus Spa. There were two and one has a seat. They are bigger and have removable shower heads. I never used them, but no one looks at you twice if you just walk into the spa area and locker room. There are towels and lockers. The showers have the same shower gel and shampoo in them that the rooms do. If anyone has concerns, feel free to ask me here or, if you are more comfortable, email me directly. I'm at ckb104 at gmail. I understand the concerns and am happy to try and alleviate any fears.

Tips, etc.

I know I'm all over the place, but I'm posting about things as they pop into my head. Tips can be a bit controversial, but I thought I would tell what I did. Take it how you like or ignore it completely. For context, I'm not rich. =) This trip was a huge deal for me and not to be repeated. I can't afford to throw money around the ship to everyone I liked.

We left our daily gratuities on our account, of course. Sorry if the "of course" offended anyone, but come on. I left $15 for our room steward. He was nice and they work so hard! Well, everyone on the ship does.

I gave $20 to my favorite IC server. He always remembered the drink I liked, even when I couldn't remember what it was called. He also once winked at me and didn't punch my coffee card. Plus he was cute and flirty and I'm a 46-year-old spinster who loves that sort of thing. (LOL).

I also filled out 6-8 comment cards. You get a couple in your room and they are to say nice things about specific people. You can get more from Guest Services. The Cruise Director told me that filling those out is so helpful. They go in their personnel files and follow them to any ship they might move to. Promotions and bonuses are often based on good comments they get, so if you liked someone, please fill those out. I sat in the bar the last day while listening to music and did them. They don't take long and it can really make a difference. Tips are nice, but those are more important.

Plus he was cute and flirty and I'm a 46-year-old spinster who loves that sort of thing.

OK, that it hilarious.

:')

I am enjoying your reports, very much, Christine. Thank you. You have a very engaging writing style.

Hi Christine. Great info as we are getting on the ship on May 20th. On the original May 6th roll call you mentioned you would post the patters from the cruise. I was wondering when you think you might be able to post them as I was hoping to review them before we leave on Thursday.

Thanks again for all of the details you have provided so far!

Hi Christine. Great info as we are getting on the ship on May 20th. On the original May 6th roll call you mentioned you would post the patters from the cruise. I was wondering when you think you might be able to post them as I was hoping to review them before we leave on Thursday.

Thanks again for all of the details you have provided so far!

I would love to say that I would have them scanned and posted by then, but it's unlikely. It's a bit of work and my desk is surrounded by suitcases and bags that haven't been unpacked yet. If you have any specific questions, I'm happy to look them up and answer.

I would love to say that I would have them scanned and posted by then, but it's unlikely. It's a bit of work and my desk is surrounded by suitcases and bags that haven't been unpacked yet. If you have any specific questions, I'm happy to look them up and answer.

If you could list the shows/entertainment (including comedians) for each night and the times, that would be great.

If you could list the shows/entertainment (including comedians) for each night and the times, that would be great.

Saturday, May 6

6pm - Slava Parfionov (piano), Wheelhouse Bar

7:15pm - Christian Beer, Wheelhouse Bar

8 & 10pm - Colors of the World production show, Princess Theatre

8:30pm - Crimson Duo, Wheelhouse Bar

9:15pm - David Williams, Crooners Bar

Sunday, May 7

6pm - Christian Beer, Crooners Bar

6pm - Slava Parfionov, Wheelhouse Bar

7:15pm - Slava Parfionov, Wheelhouse Bar

8 & 10pm - Alison Ward, Princess Theatre

8pm - Christian Beer, Crooners Bar

9:30pm - David Williams, Crooners Bar

Monday, May 8

6pm - Christian Beer, Wheelhouse Bar

6:45, 8:30 & 9:45pm - RJ Lewis (Comedy/Magic), Explorers Lounge

7:15pm - Slava Parfionov, Crooners Bar

9:00pm - Slava Parfionov, Adagio Bar

9:30 & 10:30pm - Ruby Princess Orchestra, Club Fusion

10pm - Luciano (guitar), Crooners Bar

Tuesday, May 9

8:15 & 10pm - Steve Moris (musical comedy), Princess Theatre

9pm - Ruby Princess Orchestra, Explorers Lounge

Wednesday, May 10

6pm - Grazia Duo, Wheelhouse Bar

8 & 10pm - Once Upon a Dream, Princess Theatre (scheduled for this time, but postponed due to illness)

8:15 & 10pm - Caberet of Mark Cornish (member of CD staff. He was great!)

8:15pm - Crimson Duo, Wheelhouse Bar

9pm - David Williams, Crooners Bar

9 & 11pm - Ruby Princess Showband, Adagio Bar

Thursday, May 11

6pm - Grazia Duo. Wheelhouse Bar

6:30pm - Christian Beer, Adagio Bar

8:15 & 10pm - Alison Ward, Explorers Lounge

8 & 10pm, Once Upon a Dream production show, Princess Theatre (Magic to Do was originally schedule for this night)

Friday, May 12

9:45pm - Magic to Do (should have been Thursday, but they performed Friday to work it in)

I didn't include the Piazza performances because there are SO many and they tend to be for one cruise only. Each day, there were trivia, game shows and party-type games throughout the day.

Also, The Voice of the Ocean was held throughout the week.

Saturday, May 6

6pm - Slava Parfionov (piano), Wheelhouse Bar

7:15pm - Christian Beer, Wheelhouse Bar

8 & 10pm - Colors of the World production show, Princess Theatre

Sunday, May 7

6pm - Christian Beer, Crooners Bar

6pm - Slava Parfionov, Wheelhouse Bar

7:15pm - Slava Parfionov, Wheelhouse Bar

8 & 10pm - Alison Ward, Princess Theatre

8pm - Christian Beer, Crooners Bar

9:30pm - David Williams, Crooners Bar

Monday, May 8

6:45, 8:30 & 9:45pm - RJ Lewis (Comedy/Magic), Explorers Lounge

7:15pm - Slava Parfionov, Crooners Bar

9:00pm - Slava Parfionov, Adagio Bar

9:30 & 10:30pm - Ruby Princess Orchestra, Club Fusion

10pm - Luciano (guitar), Crooners Bar

Tuesday, May 9

8:15 & 10pm - Steve Moris (musical comedy), Princess Theatre

9pm - Ruby Princess Orchestra, Explorers Lounge

Wednesday, May 10

6pm - Grazia Duo, Wheelhouse Bar

8 & 10pm - Once Upon a Dream, Princess Theatre (scheduled for this time, but postponed due to illness)

8:15 & 10pm - Caberet of Mark Cornish (member of CD staff. He was great!)

9 & 11pm - Ruby Princess Showband, Adagio Bar

Thursday, May 11

6pm - Grazia Duo. Wheelhouse Bar

6:30pm - Christian Beer, Adagio Bar

8:15 & 10pm - Alison Ward, Explorers Lounge

8 & 10pm, Once Upon a Dream production show, Princess Theatre (Magic to Do was originally schedule for this night)

Friday, May 12

9:45pm - Magic to Do (should have been Thursday, but they performed Friday to work it in)

I didn't include the Piazza performances because there are SO many and they tend to be for one cruise only. Each day, there were trivia, game shows and party-type games throughout the day.

Also, The Voice of the Ocean was held throughout the week.

Wow! So quick! This is perfect... thanks so much!

North to Alaska programs:

Sunday, May 7

12:30pm - The Life of a Bering Sea Crab Fisherman - David Lethin from Deadliest Catch

2pm - Michael Modelowski - Alaska: The Last Frontier: Life in the Wilderness of Alaska

Monday, May 8

9am - Michael Modelowski - Close Encounters with Alaskan Wildlife

8pm - Libby Riddles - The First Lady to Win the Iditarod

Tuesday, May 9

3-4pm - Puppies in the Piazza

4:30pm - Local Folkloric Show: Steve Hites

6:30pm - Lumberjack Show with Loggerhead Boone Sheer

8:30-9:30pm - Live Commentary from Bridge by Michael Modelowski

Wednesday, May 10 (Glacier Bay)

7am - Ranger Station & Morning Chat

1pm - Glacier Bay presentation by Rangers

1pm -Junior Cruisers Ranger presentation