Harmony Horrors!!

Ok here it is... my husband is 80 yrs old. He has full dentures. Had a dental procedure the night before cruise so bottom gum was painful. 2nd night after dinner, he took out bottom denture, cleaned it placed it on the sink, we went out to a show, he says oh I forgot it, I say don't worry we're not eating leave it. Returned at 11 pm GONE!! Attendant tossed it in the trash!! Called they say sorry trash got incinerated!!! Next 5 days no teeth!! Couldn't eat anything that wasn't mashed! Pics were ruined! He was embarrassed, and miserable! Housekeeping Sup says we don't pay for lost or stolen!! Was neither, he trashed it!!! He calls in sick next 2 days and doesn't clean our room 2 of the 7 days I have to call for towels!!!Top it all off formal night waitresss spill our champagne all over my gown, have to sit in wet dress all night, husband gets sick from eating freaky food, and miss Mexico excursion we pd for. You tell me was that worth the 4K I paid to celebrate my 30th anniversary!!

This is a Nurse's worst nightmare. I have seen several times a food tray being taken away and tossed with dentures wrapped in a napkin, unnoticeable.

You've never seen so many people digging through trash and dumpster diving to find them. They are $$ and time consuming to replace. I feel your pain!!:rolleyes:

I agree... I'm not sure we are getting the whole story here. They must have been wrapped in a towel or tissue and not in plan site.

The problem was the big build up by the op.If they had told the story from the beginning we would all have been sympathetic.

I understand the denture issue, but don't muddy up your main issue with the other small issues. That is what makes many think you are just trying to find problems.

Any special reason you felt the need to sit in a wet dress? Couldn't you have gone and changed?

And if my steward did not show up, and I felt the need for service, I'd have called their supervisor.

My wife said, why didn't she just get changed into another outfit.

Sorry this happened to you, but I´m not quite there with you. A number of unfortunate Events piled up on you, but I can´t see a free cruise coming your way out of These. The 50% offer is quite generous already I think.

The worst Thing of Course is the loss of the dentals and I Keep a neutral stand on that one as we don´t know how it happened. If they were just left there on the Counter I´d put some fault to the Stateroom attendant, however if they were covered By a towel, wrapped in a tissue...... no one other would be to blame than your DH.

Sure he was miserable, but again the question is why and how the dentals were lost.

Staterroom Attendants are human and can get sick. If there was no replacement to cater to your cabin that´s a legit complaint, but hardly to the way of a free cruise, more to the tune of some OBC or a specialty restaurant Invitation.

Champagne issue, come on, ship happens. I´m sure they offered to dry clean your Dress. You hardly assume she spilled it on purpose.

It´s a shame at the end your hubby got sick and you missed an excursion, but that´s another case of ship happens and no ones fault.

I understand you are hopping mad, but I also think you are unreasonable in expecting a free cruise.

I think RC were very generous with the 50% off next cruise.

The whole scenario seems dubious to me and most of the issues could have been avoided.

If I was RCCL I would withdraw the 50% credit and offer a straight up payout for the dentures. No free cruise or no refund for this cruise

Way too much drama

I agree Ops first post what a cliffhanger and totally unnecessary,it was a perfect example of how not to win friends.

No chance they are admitting fault for this. Too easy for that to escalate. Even if they found the original steward and he/she admitted to it straight up - which seems unlikely, and not what happened from the description the OP gave - they'd back that out real quick.

It is likely they just wanted to placate the situation. 50% is pretty generous considering there's no way to really assess total fault here - my parents have dentures, I know what they look like, it seems unlikely someone would see them and throw them away, I mean that is cruise service 101 right there. Likely they were wrapped in a paper towel or something similar. Which to be fair they still should have checked but...

Take the 50% and see if you can sweet talk services (one of the many contacts posted) in to something else, like a drinks package, dining, whatever. They have a lot of leeway with stuff like that. You could end up with several thousands worth of savings in the end. And try to be less angry about it. Upset and firm, sure. What happened sucked. Yelling and taking a hard line from the get go is likely not going to go as far though. Get some comp. and move on.

No chance they are admitting fault for this. Too easy for that to escalate. Even if they found the original steward and he/she admitted to it straight up - which seems unlikely, and not what happened from the description the OP gave - they'd back that out real quick.

It is likely they just wanted to placate the situation. 50% is pretty generous considering there's no way to really assess total fault here - my parents have dentures, I know what they look like, it seems unlikely someone would see them and throw them away, I mean that is cruise service 101 right there. Likely they were wrapped in a paper towel or something similar. Which to be fair they still should have checked but...

Take the 50% and see if you can sweet talk services (one of the many contacts posted) in to something else, like a drinks package, dining, whatever. They have a lot of leeway with stuff like that. You could end up with several thousands worth of savings in the end. And try to be less angry about it. Upset and firm, sure. What happened sucked. Yelling and taking a hard line from the get go is likely not going to go as far though. Get some comp. and move on.

I wonder what happened to the cabin steward?

I wonder what happened to the cabin steward?

Hard to say. I feel like there is more to this story. RCI stewards can get busy no question but AWOL for 2 days seems odd. And the service managers/etc. are always going up and down the halls. I mean, RCI isn't a top notch line maybe but they do have the basics of guest services covered pretty well in my 10+ years sailing with them.

This story sounds too "over the top" to me. The OP is not the 1st denture wearer to go on a cruise. People have medications, and other items that are in the cabin. Story is just too weird for me to believe. I am sure things get thrown away, but having to come to a board to rant about it is odd to me. Funny though

Sorry he lost his dentures, but my boys both had braces with retainers. They were lectured to no end by the orthodontist not to ever, ever leave the retainers on the lunch tray, or wrapped up in tissues or napkins any place. Only to be left in the special very colorful holder. Too easy to lose. I know a set of dentures isn't a retainer but boys will be boys- 13 or 80.

It's so easy to throw them away when wrapped up in a napkin or kleenex. I know, because I've done it. I didn't have anywhere to put my retainer so I wrapped it up in kleenex and put it in my pocket. Later I was cleaning out that pocket and threw out all the dirty kleenex including my retainer.

And I was an ADULT when I did this!!

Tough and expensive lesson to learn!

Getting wine spilled on you isn't a legitimate enough complaint to "ruin" your cruise or warrant a refund. imo. Accidents happen, it's just a little wine. Getting sick from eating the food...that could go either way. If there were anything legitimately wrong with even half the places my mom claims to have "gotten sick" from eating at, there wouldn't be any restaurants left in this country. Do you know for sure that the food was the cause? Was your husband the only one to become sick after eating the food, or was it just him?

The denture thing is a legitimate complaint, for which I think 50% off next cruise is adequate compensation. This thread seems overly dramatic and attention-seeking, which makes me think that you would benefit from this advice: You attract more flies with honey than vinegar.

There are very convenient plastic containers. And they don't have to lay in front of everyone. ;)

Dollar Tree $1. Can't understand why someone would just leave them on the sink. I question the fact that cabin steward was MIA for 2 days so wouldn't Royal have someone else cleaning those rooms or did he just not clean their room.

Edited by psupa

I will agree with you. That was a horrific experience and I don't blame you at all for being so upset. I'm sorry you had such a disappointing cruise and I hope RCCL works with you to make things right.

How does someone throw away teeth by mistake? Was the attendant blind? Did your husband have them wrapped up in tissues because then I can see how the attendant threw them away by mistake. If they were in a glass or just lying on the counter, there is no excuse.

Here is the answer to your original question:

Executive Contacts

Primary Contact

Ivette Gari

Adjuster, Guest Claims

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

igari@rccl.com

Secondary Contact

Aurora Yera–Rodriguez

Director, Guest Experience

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

ayera-rodriguez@rccl.com

Carlos Leyva

Chief Guest Experience Officer

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

cleyva@rccl.com

Chief Executive

Michael Bayley

President and CEO

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

mbayley@rccl.com

You are very kind with your response to this elderly couple's unfortunate situation. I can't help but think of how difficult it was for this 80 yr. old man to not only eat, but also to talk. I have a feeling that now that they are home, they will take the 50% off of their next cruise. When it was offered, they were just too upset to make that decision.

I feel like some are very much under estimating the cost and time involved in replacing dentures.

I pray none of you ever have to find out 1st hand.

Not at all. Having to go without them sucks, and is embarrassing. And costly/time consuming to replace. I think we all get that. What is in question is: Did an RCI cabin steward, out of pure negligence, throw out a pair of dentures sitting openly on the bathroom counter.

The OP assumes that is what happened, because that is where her husband remembered leaving them, and they weren't there when they got back. All the circumstances around how it actually went down may never be known. Whether RCI therefore should up front immediately assume 100% responsibility is the question at hand. I suspect this is not the first (and won't be the last) time something like this has happened on a cruise ship.

They offered 50%. It is likely a calmer, more reasoned attitude may get yet more comps. Probably not a free cruise. And it seems unlikely that they'd admit fault because A) who knows for sure and B) liability issues from that could run wild. What if the husband had complicating factors around his pre-existing gum condition, or otherwise hurt himself by not having the dentures? A good PI lawyer could run wild with that. Unless it is 100% sure the cabin steward threw a pair of dentures that were sitting in the open away there's no way RCI is admitting to such.

Go for what you can get and relax is my advice.

The problem was the big build up by the op.If they had told the story from the beginning we would all have been sympathetic.

And a thread title of Harmony Horrors doesn't help either.

Hard to say. I feel like there is more to this story. RCI stewards can get busy no question but AWOL for 2 days seems odd. And the service managers/etc. are always going up and down the halls. I mean, RCI isn't a top notch line maybe but they do have the basics of guest services covered pretty well in my 10+ years sailing with them.

I hope he is not hung out to dry because i cannot see why he would deliberately throw someone's property away.

That is exactly right. Many first time posters with a complaint do just what this OP did. All they manage to accomplish is starting a bunch of idle speculation while people wait for the big reveal.

This story sounds too "over the top" to me. The OP is not the 1st denture wearer to go on a cruise. People have medications, and other items that are in the cabin. Story is just too weird for me to believe. I am sure things get thrown away, but having to come to a board to rant about it is odd to me. Funny though

My sentiments too.