Rotterdam?'s

cruiseinmore

For anyone recently on the Rotterdam, how were the temperatures inside the ship. On our last cruise the Oosterdam I froze the whole week and we were in the Caribbean. Also are there DVR player in the room or has the system been upgraded yet? Off to Norway soon. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hard to tell what internal temperature levels in any given ship, or any given part of the ship, or at any given location where the ship will be at any given time. Seasoned cruisers know to bring an extra wrap and be prepared for all possibilities.

HAL ships have a given range of temperatures as their operating guidelines but this range may or may not feel cold or hot to any given individual passenger.

So essentially, a non-answer. Sorry. Boy Scouts motto -be prepared.

For anyone recently on the Rotterdam, how were the temperatures inside the ship. On our last cruise the Oosterdam I froze the whole week and we were in the Caribbean. Also are there DVR player in the room or has the system been upgraded yet? Off to Norway soon. Thanks

Just got off the Rotterdam a couple of weeks ago. We were on for 30 days.

Temps were good for the first 1/2 and then I found the showroom cool and the MDR cool for maybe 3 days. It then seemed to get adjusted. (Temps outside had changed dramatically as had the passengers eating in the MDR, etc so I suspect that had an affect).

The DVR players are still in the rooms, but the Navigator app was available on the internet (no charge) to check your on board account, etc.

I always pack a shawl and actually never had to use it this cruise - which is unusual for me ;)

My favorite extra wrap is a pure cashmere shawl - light weight, easy to pack, a little pricy up front, but really does the trick when you need something extra to ward off the chill. Including on airplanes, which have the same issues as cruise ships - sometimes too cool and sometimes too warm. You know your own comfort range.

My favorite extra wrap is a pure cashmere shawl - light weight, easy to pack, a little pricy up front, but really does the trick when you need something extra to ward off the chill. Including on airplanes, which have the same issues as cruise ships - sometimes too cool and sometimes too warm. You know your own comfort range.

As you have said many times yourself in many threads about ship temperatures, isn't this a matter of perception? :D

They try to keep the temp at 72 degrees, but there always 'cold' pockets and if it's 90 outside than 72 will feel cold. The old dvr's are still there but some have been replaced by new versions. I just came from the Amsterdam, and they replaced the old one in my room because it ate my CD and put in a new modern one..

We were on the same cruise as kazu, for 30 days. The temps in the ship were comfortable and we did not feel too cold or too hot. We had a table at the stern of the ship in the dinning room and while traveling east on the Atlantic the sun shined in the windows during our dinner and the temps got a little warm there. Our room, 3404, was very comfortable and the thermostat worked well on keeping it cool during the first portion of our cruise when the outside temps were warmer. It also worked fine when the temps went down as we traveled northerly toward the end of our cruise.

Yes, there are still dvd players in the cabins. We did not use ours.

Over all the cruise and ship were great. Staff was the best, always smiling and helping out were needed. We enjoyed the cruise and would sail the Rotterdam again.

As you have said many times yourself in many threads about ship temperatures, isn't this a matter of perception? :D

Of course it is a matter of perception. Which I stated many times. 75 degrees in a cabin can feel both warm and cool to me, as well as just fine. The perception of that constant temperature due to humidity, location and outdoor temperature was a surprise to me. Maybe you missed that part of my own experience measuring the temperature everyday in the Veendam cabin, which gets constantly criticized for having too hot or too cold of cabins.

Why did I bring the thermometer? Because I wanted to be able to validate objectively if I got one of the allegedly notorious too hot or too cold Veendam cabins. Instead what I learned (besides learning one day the cabin did exceed HAL's official range) is perception of a constant is subjective. Is there anything wrong with saying that?

No where does that imply that ones perceptions are inaccurate or invalid. Your too warm could just as easily be my okay, but as long the temperature is within HAL's range and there is not much that anyone can do about it. Except warn others that they may find this "official" range not to their liking.

And to ask for help from the front desk and be sure to report problems because there may be another cabin somewhere on your circuit that is leaving a balcony door open which can foul it up for everyone else. How will HAL know unless you report it?

Since the Veendam had been sailing in Canada before our cruise it might well be possible that some ventilation vents had been closed because the cabins was "too cold" which needed to be opened up again once we headed south and the cabin got "too warm". I'll let a ship's engineer explore that possiblity with more expertise.

So considering there will be both cool and warm spots on the ships, along with personal temperature perceptions, it is best be prepared and bring a back up wrap if you find both the temperature and the perception of the temperature not to your own liking. And ask HAL for any help they may be able to offer to make you comfortable.

Of course it is a matter of perception. Which I stated many times. 75 degrees in a cabin can feel both warm and cool to me, as well as just fine. The perception of that constant temperature due to humidity, location and outdoor temperature was a surprise to me. Maybe you missed that part of my own experience measuring the temperature everyday in the Veendam cabin, which gets constantly criticized for having too hot or too cold of cabins.

Why did I bring the thermometer? Because I wanted to be able to validate objectively if I got one of the allegedly notorious too hot or too cold Veendam cabins. Instead what I learned (besides learning one day the cabin did exceed HAL's official range) is perception of a constant is subjective. Is there anything wrong with saying that?

No where does that imply that ones perceptions are inaccurate or invalid. Your too warm could just as easily be my okay, but as long the temperature is within HAL's range and there is not much that anyone can do about it. Except warn others that they may find this "official" range not to their liking.

And to ask for help from the front desk and be sure to report problems because there may be another cabin somewhere on your circuit that is leaving a balcony door open which can foul it up for everyone else. How will HAL know unless you report it?

Since the Veendam had been sailing in Canada before our cruise it might well be possible that some ventilation vents had been closed because the cabins was "too cold" which needed to be opened up again once we headed south and the cabin got "too warm". I'll let a ship's engineer explore that possiblity with more expertise.

So considering there will be both cool and warm spots on the ships, along with personal temperature perceptions, it is best be prepared and bring a back up wrap if you find both the temperature and the perception of the temperature not to your own liking. And ask HAL for any help they may be able to offer to make you comfortable.

In your great haste to prove yourself the ultimate authority on temperature, and how other folks react to it, you totally missed my point. You failed to notice that it was your comment on your clothes being of the "pricy" variety that I commented on, and that my friend really is a matter of perception! :rolleyes:

In your great haste to prove yourself the ultimate authority on temperature, and how other folks react to it, you totally missed my point. You failed to notice that it was your comment on your clothes being of the "pricy" variety that I commented on, and that my friend really is a matter of perception! :rolleyes:

Gotcha. Good one. Exactly, what is pricey. And yes, I am tired of defending the temperature thing. Hair trigger reaction. I guess I need to ....chill out. :evilsmile:

Pricey being a matter of perception!! What a wonderful concept. I must remember that logic the next time someone, who shall remain nameless, questions a purchase. :D

How do you know all this stuff?

Pricey being a matter of perception!! What a wonderful concept. I must remember that logic the next time someone, who shall remain nameless, questions a purchase. :D

You're welcome but use it wisely! ;)

I cant imagine that the fine gentleman that I met would have you want for anything ;)

They try to keep the temp at 72 degrees, but there always 'cold' pockets and if it's 90 outside than 72 will feel cold. The old dvr's are still there but some have been replaced by new versions. I just came from the Amsterdam, and they replaced the old one in my room because it ate my CD and put in a new modern one..

Temps: I freeze on every ship I've ever been on & many times DH does too..:cool: We live in SW Fla. & keep our home temp at 78 degrees.. Even have a lightweight blanket on our bed.. However, when we have guests I usually lower the thermostat, since most of our friends/family like it colder..:cool: