EXPLORER semi-live May 15-19 REVIEW w/lots of photos

Let me know how that goes, was looking at that also but now that uber wants tipping it seems to be about the same as towncar.

That depends on what level of Uber you use.

For us this will not be a trip to the airport but to our house. When we used Uber from out house to the airport it was less that shared van service.

Was this last week? Still trying to figure the best way to airport for a 11:45 flight. We will be getting off with luggage by 7am.

Thanks

That was at the end of the 4 night last Friday.

It looks like they are starting debarkation earlier this season.

Was this last week? Still trying to figure the best way to airport for a 11:45 flight. We will be getting off with luggage by 7am.

Thanks

Off the ship at 6:50. Quick walk outside. Lots of cabs so decided to just take that option. $40 flat rate to airport.

Yes, 5/15 - 5/19... This is the first time we have done self assist debark... had 11:20 flight and still ended up with 3 hours to hang around the airport. We were thru security by 7:40am with PreCheck... the regular line looked a bit longer, maybe 15 minutes.

Edited by twincheryl
quote wasn't all included...

Day 2 - at sea

This year's day at sea would be much different than last year's. Last year we rock climbed, golfed, skated, etc...did a whole bunch of stuff. This year the weather was still questionable and frankly we were looking forward to a quiet day of nothingness... I even had a {gasp} nap mid-day, very much unlike me!

One thing that changed from last year is that we had to return immigration forms to desk services by tonight for tomorrow's arrival in Nanaimo. We did not have to do this last year.

P5162445_zpsdmx9slrf.jpg

Capt Gjerstad had us gong out to sea this morning, and from what I could tell he was trying to find a nice pocket of clear and sunny weather to hang out in. Mission accomplished!

IMG_1499_zpsvaquneok.jpg

Pre cruise we booked the Sushi Class up in Izumi for something different, I had never done it before. Supposedly we're supposed to enjoy our lunch after making it. I thought we would be booked around lunch time and be able to enjoy our lunch within Izumi but that was not the case. The night before we were left a message that we were in the 9:45am class.... huh?

IMG_1504_zpssppfqtnd.jpg

Worked out pretty well actually. Turns out they had multiple classes during the moring and around the noon hour so this offering of this class turned out to be popular it seems. we had a really good time this morning, great way to start the day

IMG_1506_zpsux3rzsad.jpg

Our ingredients were set out on the long tables, and we followed the chef's instructions to make a couple of simple rolls, nigiri and a cone. Both Chef's would come around to help various people who were struggling a bit. Me? Nah! I love cooking (when I have the time and the reason to make something great) so I was right in there

IMG_1539_zpsvpog8lne.jpg

Looking around, it was fun seeing the different concoctions people were coming up with, backwards cones, sushi rolls falling apart, having fun learning and sharing, speaking with neighbor cruisers. Quite a good time socially. Here's the evolution of my cone

IMG_1545_zps5csh7tzj.jpg

IMG_1547_zpsejtkalhn.jpg

And voila! Actually, the crab gets shredded at the top slightly as well so that it looks like more of a bouquet with the cucumber

IMG_1548_zpsnh9y28ys.jpg

We all received certificates

IMG_1559_zpsgaecacsj.jpg

The Chef's cut the rolls for you and pack them up as take out. No less than 3 fellow cruisers came up to us to ask how we ordered take out from Izumi as they wanted to do that... of course I had to give them the bad news that they had to do the class. One gentleman looked at my box and inside and said, "you made that?" as if I was lying to him and the Chefs actually made it lol. We brought our lunches to be back to our room and with a clear plastic wine bag (remember that?) with ice, we kept our lunches cool until we needed to get them.

IMG_1560_zpsstt8dejx.jpg

Yep. I made this! very cool

IMG_1568_zpsgu8femdr.jpg

One thing we didn't know would happen, and I only assume was offered because of our 9:45am start time, was everyone in the class was offered a Galley Tour in about 45min after leaving the Sushi Class. So once we dropped off our lunch in our room, we walked around the ship a bit and back to deck 5 of the Sapphire dining Room. The head of Izumi & DL Dept hosted the tour for us.

P5162454_zpstdu78qbc.jpg

This was a very short version of the Galley tour, maybe 20min tops. Many great photos have been shared a various galley tours here on CC so I won;t bother with many photos here, but I did learn something new that in all my other galley tours I had never realized before.... the double elevators here in the main galley is only decks 3,4 and 5.

P5162463_zpsw36yqrsd.jpg

If you've never done a Galley Tour before, I highly recommend it if it's offered to you... it's really great to see how it all works behind the scenes.

P5162465_zpsputaut0d.jpg

Lunch was in full swing at that time as the tour ended, and the tutti fruity salad bar had a small line-up

P5162469_zpsgcrq7feo.jpg

Lunch boxes in hand, we made way up to top deck to check the much nicer day we were having. Still very brisk and windy outside, note the few people walking in jackets on the pool deck

P5162493_zpsjiw7bc3g.jpg

We made our way up to the Viking Crown, intentionally looking to see if we could go back to Izumi and enjoy the venue for lunch with another group, however they were right in the middle of another class so we went to the Viking Crown instead. It was very busy up there, the only tables with a view up were on the starboard side close to the bar.... perfect

P5162483_zps7wdhtb3g.jpg

This is where we received those comments of fellow cruises who came up to us to ask about our "take out"

P5162484_zpsvilnbyjm.jpg

Yes, super delicious!! Great place for lunch and a drink

P5162485_zps8zcvhn8p.jpg

The 4 ice shows offered on this sailing were set up a bit differently as well. Graham explained that he wanted everyone to get a chance to see the show comfortably, so a 2pm and 4:30pm show were scheduled today as well as one show during each port day to come at 4:30pm. The invites/early access were scheduled by muster station and printed on the compass. We were scheduled for the 1st show at 2pm, just fine with us considering we wanted an easy/nothing day and it was cold outside.

CL Denzil was there monitoring the door and ushered us through at about 20min to show time. Surprisingly much of that front & center section was seated already (I estimate half maybe) but there were still empty seats on the first row that had our names on them... nice! Great show, excellent skaters, very few mistakes... GF skated and coached in the younger years and truly appreciated the lack of space vs. space these pros needed. One of the skaters hit a perfect triple, great to see. This was the same show as last year "Spirit of the Seasons" but was great to see again.

IMG_1581_zpswee6xbtk.jpg

IMG_1587_zpsut8uzd7f.jpg

IMG_1600_zpsmpwo9rhb.jpg

As we know, RCL doesn't offer an M&M on short sailings. Luckily our roll call was excellent and active, and fellow cruiser sallyr (her handle here on CC) offered up her suite for her own version of a M&M and she would be the host with the help of her grandson and husband.

IMG_1602_zpsr9tmalqp.jpg

Great success! That was a good time. Initially we intended to mingle for maybe an hour then head up to the DL for another hour before dinner. We ended up staying there the whole time right up until dinner. Plenty of nibbles, good drinks, fabulous company

IMG_1607_zpsxmriqfln.jpg

IMG_1605_zpsklnkhpv7.jpg

I was unclear who supplied some goodies to go, but there were several hand bags, Canadian flags, RCL cold beverage holders, etc.... very gracious of sallyr

IMG_1608_zpsr9hdgu8y.jpg

From the balcony Solstice made a presence in the distance, and we watched her right through to dinner as she passed us much closer entering into the Strait of Juan de Fuca

IMG_1609_zpsfeyx5bai.jpg

The get together was to end around 6pm and was winding down to our dinner time (also 6pm). Time for Chops!

Thank you again very much sallyr. That was a great M&M you and your family hosted :D

I'm a Chops fan. I have never been disappointed on any ship, has been very consistent. We had a great window view looking out over at Solstice as she was passing by our starboard side and also of the Olympia Peninsula in the distance, just gorgeous.

Gotta start with the classic forest mushroom soup, and of course my go to entree the "Everything Crusted Tuna"

IMG_1614_zps9biasbx4.jpg

IMG_1616_zps7gpnptud.jpg

GF had her fave the 6oz fillet with peppercorn, and of course the various sides

IMG_1618_zpsliwqccsy.jpg

Excellent service this evening. Arriving at 6pm I figure the venue was 1/2 full.... leaving just before 7:30 there were exactly 2 tables left.... yes packed.

Folks, I put my phone and camera away here! lol. Interesting... I felt naked :o.

So needless to say I have no pics for the rest of the night.

Tonight was a good night with 70's music trivia at the Schooner Bar (2nd place by 1/2 point grrrrr), Juggling/variety show (Randy Cabral - so-so), and the infamous 70's Disco Inferno Street Party on the Cafe Promenade. Graham didn't participate in this event, and it was obvious there were many new staff who were not polished with the dances, a couple of guys up on the walkway were pretty bad with YMCA. Nonetheless always fun and a good atmosphere.

I still really believe that RCL should adopt my idea, would be a massive hit imho:

Have an 80's night instead of 70's, have the cruiser Thriller dance performed with the huge crowd in the promenade (that would be awesome!), and then do the whole street party 80's style (Madonna, MJ, Prince, Queen, George Michael, Whitney Houston, Billy Joel, Van Halen, U2, Bon Jovi... you get the picture. Can you imagine the entire promenade belting out Bon Jovi's "Living on a Prayer"? We'd shatter all the Promenade stateroom window glass, and imagine the clothes and 80's hair. This would be "like totally awesome dude!" ;p

Again we opted not hit the nightclub tonight and head very early bed. Here's the compass for Day 2

P5162446_zpsmfjbgu7a.jpg

P5162447_zps3yh9tyql.jpg

P5162448_zpsf3gm6xf1.jpg

P5162449_zpsmjyqj5zs.jpg

Great review (again), Hoopster95! Wonderful to see BC from a native viewpoint! We loved the Explorer when she was in Cape Liberty, and Graham was one of our (if not most) favorite CDs -- so energetic and approachable. Shame he is retiring but wish happiness to him in his post-ship life. (Denzil is a fantastic concierge!)

And I would be SO onboard with 80s night. On the Harmony they had a 90s night. How can they skip only the most awesome decade EVER ?? Where do we vote for your suggestion? :)

I still really believe that RCL should adopt my idea, would be a massive hit imho:

Have an 80's night instead of 70's, have the cruiser Thriller dance performed with the huge crowd in the promenade (that would be awesome!), and then do the whole street party 80's style (Madonna, MJ, Prince, Queen, George Michael, Whitney Houston, Billy Joel, Van Halen, U2, Bon Jovi... you get the picture. Can you imagine the entire promenade belting out Bon Jovi's "Living on a Prayer"? We'd shatter all the Promenade stateroom window glass, and imagine the clothes and 80's hair. This would be "like totally awesome dude!" ;p

LOOOOOOOOVVVVEEEEE LOVE LOVE this idea. I am down for it.

I am really enjoying following along with this review. Last year we did New Zealand, the TP and 2 of the coastals on her. It was nice to see her back in Seattle last week. We are looking forward to sailing on her for the next 2 weeks and again for a couple weeks in August.

I have enjoyed the review also. Great pictures. I probably spend way too much time reading reviews - but they whet my appetite until my next cruise. Which is always too far off. Thank you for taking the time to post.

LOOOOOOOOVVVVEEEEE LOVE LOVE this idea. I am down for it.

Thx for the kind words everyone....

"Whooooooooa We're half way there

Whoa-oh! Livin' on a prayer

Take my hand and we'll make it

I swear, whoa-oh! livin' on a prayer"

Hey.... I know you're all singing along inside your head!!! ;p

OK, real life experience just before my CC reviewing days.... Radiance 2012 in Oz. I traveled solo that cruise, made so many friends. What an outsanding trip and sailing.

Picture this.... Xmas eve, minimum 1/2 the ship 3 people deep on everydeck of the Centrum. I was shoulder to shoulder on deck 4, it was also shoulder to shoulder leading up the circular glass staircase to deck 5. The Capt, many officers, the RCL band on the stage in the corner.....

We are all Christmas caroling at 10pm that night. It was so incredibly surreal.... When white Xmas began the band was directed to shut down and the entire Centrum went a cappella. It was simply incredible and one of my fondest memories on any RCL ship. The Centrum was alive, at least 1000 people I would think! I felt like I was in church, there was no way you could just sit there silent, you had to sing along. Ah great memory :)

Day 3 - Nanaimo

I'll repeat here that last year's review of the sailing is much more in depth with more photos of the city of Nanaimo and things to do and see. Here is the link to Nanaimo last year so you can all compare if you're researching what to do for a future sailing:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=50102248&highlight=nanaimo#post50102248

This year Nanaimo was our first port of call, and only the second time Explorer has been back to this little town.... nothing has changed from what I could tell.

IMG_1622_zpsstqawuaj.jpg

We had our own day of DIY excursions planned, but before that we needed some fuel.... so up to our fave spot in the WJ we went, out at the back with a view of the islands. Eggs Benny were offered ion the WJ on this sailing!

IMG_1623_zpsdspyragc.jpg

I had a rental car booked for 9am pick-up.... I called them up as we left the ship right at 8:55am letting them know we'd be a few minutes late. Note how few fellow cruisers were getting off with us.

IMG_1625_zpsa5ln97ej.jpg

IMG_1626_zpsen5toztj.jpg

P5172509_zpswer8xo3l.jpg

Nanaimo is a great pier to get excellent pics of Explorer.

P5172512_zpsxnu9agqr.jpg

It was truly a ghost town getting off the ship, and assumed many of our fellow cruisers had simply slept in and not bothered with a port day.... or they simply know there's not much going on in Nanaimo so no reason to get an early start. My pictures last year show the shuttle buses into the city with a massive line-up.... look this year at 9am. Maybe the first 3-4 rows of this bus were seated with another bus in behind.

IMG_1630_zpslsmiw2nc.jpg

It's only maybe a 10min brisk walk (15-20 if you slowly saunter) into the downtown part of Nanaimo and her waterfront. Nanaimo came super prepared for the ship, with coned walking paths all the way into the city from the industrial area of the pier. City volunteers were there by the bus handing out easy to read city maps to everyone

IMG_1631_zps76llmu4k.jpg

IMG_1632_zps2uxwql4c.jpg

We're walkers, so we got downtown in only 10 minutes. Rather than turning right towards the harbor walkway, we turned left towards the more city commercial area and to the rental car company. I booked with "Practicar"... google them. Back in the day they used to be called "Wrent-a-wreck" lol!! Rather then renting brand new vehicles, their rentals are more like 4-5 years old and much much less expensive. I booked a mid-size with 200 free kms all taxes incl. for $57 Canadian... plus $10 gas when I filled up as I got back. In total, the walk to the car rental was 20 min from the pier. By about 9:35am we were in the car and heading up the #1 TranCanada Highway out of Nanaimo

IMG_1634_zpsxxnuipyx.jpg

IMG_1637_zps0oaww6vu.jpg

It's much easier for you to google map the following areas if you are at all interested, especially driving distances from Nanaimo, etc.... but I have to say driving on Vancouver Island and the highways here is super super easy, lots of signage, wide roadways, and other excellent drivers.

We drove about 40 mins up the Highway, turning off at 4A to Coombs and onto Qualicum Falls

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/little_qualicum_falls/

https://www.google.ca/search?q=google+map+nanaimo+to+qualicum+falls&rlz=1C1RNVH_enCA559CA585&oq=google+map+nanaimo+to+qualicum+falls&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i64.7072j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

P5172574_zpslcpa8vrc.jpg

P5172519_zps54fi96lr.jpg

This made for a great start to the day, some fresh air and exercise within the beautiful nature that British Columbia affords us

P5172520_zpseuzpn9pq.jpg

P5172526_zpsrkymy4r8.jpg

Even though the paths/walkways are wide and clear, unfortunately none of it is conducive to a mobility challenge person. There's plenty of stairs, rocks, uneven paths and up&down areas here to navigate

IMG_1652_zpsvxubdvwh.jpg

We hiked to the lower falls from the parking lot down those stairs in about 10 minutes... that's it.

Hiking up and over to the Upper falls was about 15 minutes... not too bad at all, and the beauty around you.... these photos don't do it justice.

P5172532_zpspp5rgzee.jpg

The upper falls are the focal point, again I mention these photos do not do it justice, especially with the roaring sound of the water.

IMG_1663_zps4jnipdy0.jpg

IMG_1667_zps83iiregx.jpg

There are various fenced viewing "decks" along the falls on both sides. There's also a few maps and info throughout the walkways to keep you informed as you go along.

IMG_1664_zps5uc4ty1c.jpg

IMG_1669_zpskvzrq1c2.jpg

We spent maybe a total of an hour taking pictures, a couple of videos and finally walking back to the car... an excellent little stop to take in the beauty of BC. Now I can say I conquered Qualicum Falls!

P5172554_zpstlrhaqjz.jpg

Our next stop would be a very short drive to Cathedral Grove within MacMillan Provincial Park

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/macmillan/

https://www.google.ca/search?q=google+map+qualicum+falls+to+macmillan+provincial+park&rlz=1C1RNVH_enCA559CA585&oq=google+map+qualicum+falls+to+macmillan+provincial+park&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i64.14317j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

IMG_1682_zpsinetxn8k.jpg

There are several trails on both sides of the Highway you can explore, but the main trail in on the south side with a couple of the more "famous" trees with plenty of signage to take you through so that you know what you are looking at as you proceed through the paths.

IMG_1681_zps9gnnghwe.jpg

This place is gorgeous! Many locals come here to meditate in the meadows and the majestic trees. I already posted a couple of photos during the live thread when I was there, so I won't post many.... here are few more. Take note of the scale of the trees, the girth, compared to my size

P5172581_zpslacabqe3.jpg

Like Qualicum Falls, these personal photos don't do this park justice and there are many professional on-line photos you can look at as well. Again take note of the girth with respect to my GF's height. This tree has to be 8-9 feet in Diameter!

P5172589_zpsxhdsefkj.jpg

While these paths are wide and do not go up/down, again they cannot be navigated by the mobility challenged unfortunately. There's many muddy parts where you cannot get away from sinking your shoes at least 1/4 inch into mud... a wheelchair for sure would get stuck, let alone cane/walkers/etc.

IMG_1698_zps5vbnsprn.jpg

One last photo for you.... again take note of the scale of the people at the base of the two trees... just phenomenal to see if you live in an area where old growth forest doesn't exist and you've never seen this before.

P5172615_zpswxxn2dsy.jpg

Fyi RCL does not offer anything to Qualicum Falls, but they do offer a Cathedral Grove + Coombs market excursion for about 3-3.5 hours (I think) for $69 per adult (I think)... that's US $. This can easily be done on your own with a rental car for about 1/3 of the price.

Both Qualicum Falls and Cathedral Grove are free