Latest reasonable time to board Ruby Princess to Alaska

kdowneymd

We are on the July 8 sailing rt Seattle to Alaska. We will arrive in Seattle on July 7 from NYC. I was thinking of doing some touring the morning of the 8th, eating an early lunch at the Market and heading to the pier at 1:30-2:00 PM. This is our first Princess cruise so we cannot be at the beginning of any boarding groups. Will the crowds have thinned at that point? I would prefer to view Chihuly than wait in line if at all possible. Thank-you for any information.

Okay, here is factual information about check-in at Pier 91. IF you arrive at Pier 91 before 3pm, you should have absolutely no problem getting processed and on board the Ruby. Notice that I said arrive not head to! Personally, I wouldn't do it because, as someone said, I don't trust Seattle traffic and I wouldn't want to take a chance on getting delayed by traffic, vehicle problems, or any other thing that could happen. But, theoretically, that would be soon enough to arrive. Usually, by that time any lines for luggage, security, and check in are gone. Not always, but usually. Thus the time between arrival at the pier and walking on board the ship is usually not very long at all. THAT SAID......

Would I do it? Nope, no way in the world. Why? I have seen way too many people get delayed en route to Seattle, arrived with lost or missing paperwork necessary to get on board the ship and not enough time to be able to overcome the said missing paperwork in time to make the cruise, or just plain arrive at the pier as the ship sails (or has already sailed) away! Is it really worth taking a chance of missing the ship for whatever reason just to see some sights around Seattle? Not to my way of thinking. You're here for a reason, to go on a vacation, relax and enjoy yourself so you can go home relaxed and full of great memories. (Maybe even enough to want to come back and do the same trip again! Who knows? (I've seen people going on their 10th or 20th trip to Alaska.)) My honest, wholehearted recommendation is to come to Seattle, arrive here early (which you've already planned to do), and plan on arriving at the pier about 10:30am or so, so we can check you in and get you on board the ship board early where you stick your carry on items in your stateroom, sit down somewhere on the ship and have something to eat/drink and begin your vacation unstressed, relaxed, and comfortable.

In fact, go to this link and see what some of your fellow passengers on the Roll Call for your cruise have to say about your specific cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2309751

See you at the Pier!

Tom

Tom@ pierlesscruising. I love your response! You are right, no stress arrival is crucial. I am someone who typically has three copies of boarding documents, health forms, copies of passports in addition to actual passport, in order to avoid any delays at check-in. We arrive the day before cruise departure to make sure there are no glitches. I do believe leaving for the terminal at 1:30 from the Pike Place market area should give us adequate time. However, I also plan to monitor traffic reports early Saturday and if anything seems amiss, we will head to the Pier right away.

Contrary to some posters beliefs, I am not looking for a specific answer,. I have no experience with the Seattle terminal and don't know how the lines move, slow or fast in the early afternoon: hence my original post.

Edited by kdowneymd
misspelled

1:30 to pier 91 from Pike Place Market. Yes, this will give you plenty of time. I'm not 65, but I could probably finish one more Kilt Lifter and walk to the Pier 91 and not even be close to being late. Somedays, it would be better to walk or stagger.

If you book your pre-cruise excursion (or E Z air) through Princess, you are guaranteed to board, regardless of what time you arrive. On our last cruise we arrived at the terminal at 3:45 and walked into an already started muster.

Okay, here is factual information about check-in at Pier 91. IF you arrive at Pier 91 before 3pm, you should have absolutely no problem getting processed and on board the Ruby. Notice that I said arrive not head to! Personally, I wouldn't do it because, as someone said, I don't trust Seattle traffic and I wouldn't want to take a chance on getting delayed by traffic, vehicle problems, or any other thing that could happen. But, theoretically, that would be soon enough to arrive. Usually, by that time any lines for luggage, security, and check in are gone. Not always, but usually. Thus the time between arrival at the pier and walking on board the ship is usually not very long at all. THAT SAID......

Would I do it? Nope, no way in the world. Why? I have seen way too many people get delayed en route to Seattle, arrived with lost or missing paperwork necessary to get on board the ship and not enough time to be able to overcome the said missing paperwork in time to make the cruise, or just plain arrive at the pier as the ship sails (or has already sailed) away! Is it really worth taking a chance of missing the ship for whatever reason just to see some sights around Seattle? Not to my way of thinking. You're here for a reason, to go on a vacation, relax and enjoy yourself so you can go home relaxed and full of great memories. (Maybe even enough to want to come back and do the same trip again! Who knows? (I've seen people going on their 10th or 20th trip to Alaska.)) My honest, wholehearted recommendation is to come to Seattle, arrive here early (which you've already planned to do), and plan on arriving at the pier about 10:30am or so, so we can check you in and get you on board the ship board early where you stick your carry on items in your stateroom, sit down somewhere on the ship and have something to eat/drink and begin your vacation unstressed, relaxed, and comfortable.

In fact, go to this link and see what some of your fellow passengers on the Roll Call for your cruise have to say about your specific cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2309751

See you at the Pier!

Tom

Tom I have a question; we are traveling on Emerald July 9th. We have our two minor grandchildren; we were told by our travel agent that Princess no longer requires documentation for traveling with minors. They both have their passports; but their last names are different from my wife and I. Should I be concerned about delay in boarding. I have printed our boarding passes. We are staying in a family suite. Thanks

Tom I have a question; we are traveling on Emerald July 9th. We have our two minor grandchildren; we were told by our travel agent that Princess no longer requires documentation for traveling with minors. They both have their passports; but their last names are different from my wife and I. Should I be concerned about delay in boarding. I have printed our boarding passes. We are staying in a family suite. Thanks

Not Tom, but I would still have a notarized letter from a parent with their permission to take them on the cruise. Or, at least have them on stand-by to fax if questioned at the pier. Not sure if Princess has a form on the website that can be used.

I'm not Tom but yes, you should be concerned. Your travel agent is a moron and you should never use her/him again. Princess is still requiring passport be used by minor children traveling with only one parent.

The US government is the one requiring more documentation, not the cruise line. You MUST have with you a notarized letter from both parents giving you permission to travel out of the country with your grandchildren. This is because people like to kidnap children and what better way to do it then to leave on a "vacation". The letter should state the cruise ship, the ports and the right to treat for medical purposes. Both parents need to sign this letter and again it must be notarized.

You might get lucky and they won't ask you before you board. You might get lucky and they won't ask you on your return from your trip. It makes no difference. If you don't have that letter when you get to the port and they ask for it, kiss your trip good bye.

FROM PRINCESS:

Documents for guests under the age of 18

Several countries require special documentation for children traveling with only one parent or with neither parent; these requirements are subject to change without notice. Many foreign countries require any single parent or guardian to bring a permission slip for the minor to travel abroad. It is your responsibility to ensure that you possess the proper documents for all of the countries that you will visit. Please verify requirements with the consulates of the countries visited prior to your cruise.

Ask yourself this. Your DD gets divorced. Her ex decides he is tired or paying child support and his visitation rights. Off he goes on a cruise and stays in one of the ports with his minor children before he disappears into the jungle or city or..... That's okay because your travel agent said you don't need documentation, right? I mean they got their passports when DD and SIL were happily married so no other documentation needed.

Sorry to sound snotty but nothing riles me more then people telling others that they don't need the proper documentation. I especially despise the ones that say "we have cruised for 10 years and never been asked so you really don't need it. Again, not their vacation being ruined. Yours, your wife's and your minor grandchildren - they are the ones that will suffer along with your wallet.

Not Tom, but I would still have a notarized letter from a parent with their permission to take them on the cruise. Or, at least have them on stand-by to fax if questioned at the pier. Not sure if Princess has a form on the website that can be used.

You beat me too it. Mostly because my answer is longer because this is such a pet peeve of mine. A quick search on Princess' website will show the above quote and many other pieces of information of traveling with kids.

I suggest checking out Seattle events on the internet for the day you are sailing. There were a couple of huge events the day we sailed in 2014, and with street closures, it was dicey making it on time...far more stress than I need starting a vacation!

As a pediatrician, I have an additional concern besides boarding documents: please be certain you have your grand children's mefical insurance cards or copies and a document certifying you as a health care proxy.

I am sure your children have already thought this out as they are so blessed to have grandparents taking their children on such a great vacation!

Even something simple as being treated for an ear infection or sinus infection can become ridiculously complicated without paperwork, so silly but it complicates everything

While I would love to answer your question about the documentation, I'm going to opt out of that in this case. The reason being, I don't feel comfortable answering it due to the importance of such documentation. What I think or believe (or guess at!) is useless to you if I am wrong in any way, shape or form and that could cost you a slug of money if it were wrong, not to mention the stress and heartbreak it could cause you and your family. What I would prefer to do is recommend that you call Princess Cruise Lines at 1-800-774-6237 and get that info directly from them. That way you can get info from the source and acquire a name and phone number of the person to whom you talked so that you, hopefully, not only get info directly from the horse's mouth, but have a name to go with it should something glitch. You know that "well a guy on Cruise Critic told me..." wouldn't be worth a hill of beans to you if something bad happened.

Hope you understand.

Tom

As a pediatrician, I have an additional concern besides boarding documents: please be certain you have your grand children's mefical insurance cards or copies and a document certifying you as a health care proxy.

I am sure your children have already thought this out as they are so blessed to have grandparents taking their children on such a great vacation!

Not true!!! :o

Thanks for the feedback. Let me clarify a few things. First off these are our grandkids and not our children. Second, our daughters husband died; so we just have the two grandkids, our daughter will not be with us. Third. I do have a notarized letter from our daughter with both my wife and I signatures stating the airline info; cruise info, and all the port stops. I have a medical power of attorney from our law office; have had this in place since my son in law died. Anything else we may need? I totally get what everyone is saying. With child kidnapping and taking them out of country; that is a major concern for us. That is why this forum is so wonderful. There are lots of you who have traveled way more than I have; or should I say cruised way more than me; so your information is very valuable and I take in everything I can. Thank you so much for the wealth of knowledge you have provided day in and day out.

Edited by AF-1

While I would love to answer your question about the documentation, I'm going to opt out of that in this case. The reason being, I don't feel comfortable answering it due to the importance of such documentation. What I think or believe (or guess at!) is useless to you if I am wrong in any way, shape or form and that could cost you a slug of money if it were wrong, not to mention the stress and heartbreak it could cause you and your family. What I would prefer to do is recommend that you call Princess Cruise Lines at 1-800-774-6237 and get that info directly from them. That way you can get info from the source and acquire a name and phone number of the person to whom you talked so that you, hopefully, not only get info directly from the horse's mouth, but have a name to go with it should something glitch. You know that "well a guy on Cruise Critic told me..." wouldn't be worth a hill of beans to you if something bad happened.

Hope you understand.

Tom

+1 - This is where a Like button would be handy.

Excellent advice to make sure you have everything along with the name of the Princess Representative. Plus, as the excerpt from notentirelynormal suggests, also check the requirements for Canada. Someone mentioned copies of their medical cards, another good idea. I hope you have a fabulous cruise!! :)

Just returned from this cruise yesterday! My experience after arriving at the terminal (parking and dropping off luggage NOT included in this) took an hour. We walked in the terminal at 1:30 and were in our stateroom at 2:25. There were still lines for each portion of check-in, but they were continually moving and it did not feel like an hour. We did not have to wait anywhere to board once we went through check in, etc., just went straight to the ship.

Also, muster drill is at 3:30 for 4:00 sail away. Happy travels!!

We have medical power of attorney for them

We have copy of daughters insurance card with their names on it

We have notarized letter from our daughter with our names,grandkids names, itinerary, flight numbers, and hotel we are in

We have their passports

Anything else you many think of let me know. I appreciate all the info

I'm not Tom but yes, you should be concerned. Your travel agent is a moron and you should never use her/him again. Princess is still requiring passport be used by minor children traveling with only one parent.

The US government is the one requiring more documentation, not the cruise line. You MUST have with you a notarized letter from both parents giving you permission to travel out of the country with your grandchildren. This is because people like to kidnap children and what better way to do it then to leave on a "vacation". The letter should state the cruise ship, the ports and the right to treat for medical purposes. Both parents need to sign this letter and again it must be notarized.

You might get lucky and they won't ask you before you board. You might get lucky and they won't ask you on your return from your trip. It makes no difference. If you don't have that letter when you get to the port and they ask for it, kiss your trip good bye.

FROM PRINCESS:

Documents for guests under the age of 18

Several countries require special documentation for children traveling with only one parent or with neither parent; these requirements are subject to change without notice. Many foreign countries require any single parent or guardian to bring a permission slip for the minor to travel abroad. It is your responsibility to ensure that you possess the proper documents for all of the countries that you will visit. Please verify requirements with the consulates of the countries visited prior to your cruise.

Ask yourself this. Your DD gets divorced. Her ex decides he is tired or paying child support and his visitation rights. Off he goes on a cruise and stays in one of the ports with his minor children before he disappears into the jungle or city or..... That's okay because your travel agent said you don't need documentation, right? I mean they got their passports when DD and SIL were happily married so no other documentation needed.

Sorry to sound snotty but nothing riles me more then people telling others that they don't need the proper documentation. I especially despise the ones that say "we have cruised for 10 years and never been asked so you really don't need it. Again, not their vacation being ruined. Yours, your wife's and your minor grandchildren - they are the ones that will suffer along with your wallet.

Thanks for the feedback and answers

1. We have grandkids passports

2. We have notarized letter from daughter with our signatures, kids names, flight info, cruise line, stateroom, itinerary, and hotel we are staying in

3. We have medical power of attorney for grandkids

4. We have daughters medical insurance card with kids names

*** is there anything we may still be missing; I appreciate this forum

Hope you understand.

Tom

Tom I totally get it. It sounded like you work at the port and check people in. So I figured you would know what was required.

1. We have grandkids passports in hand

2. Notarized letter from daughter with kids names, our signatures, flight info to and from Seattle, hotel info in Seattle, cruiseline, cabin number, cruise number, itinerary, and notary signature

3. We have medical power of attorney from our law office

4. We have daughters insurance card with kids names

I think this should satisfy everyone. Thanks again

Thanks for the feedback and answers

1. We have grandkids passports

2. We have notarized letter from daughter with our signatures, kids names, flight info, cruise line, stateroom, itinerary, and hotel we are staying in

3. We have medical power of attorney for grandkids

4. We have daughters medical insurance card with kids names

*** is there anything we may still be missing; I appreciate this forum

A copy of the death certificate showing why the father didn't sign anything. There is a Poster that has been traveling with her kids since they were babies. Many times she has run into the issue of proving that dad was dead so no signature required.