How exactly does freestyle dining work on Norwegian?

geckoshan

Hello

I've cruised a few times before but this will be the first time on Norwegian (Getaway) and I'm a little confused at how the dining works. At first I thought I had it straight (no set dining times in the main/complementary restaurants, you just turn up and ask for a table and if they don't have one free they give you a thing that notifys you when one is free), but they have just released bookings for restaurants and shows on board and the main dining rooms are apparently available for booking. Is there anyone who has recently been on a Norwegian ship and can explain how this works in practice? I would really rather not book a table every night if I don't have to (I really like the idea of freestyle) but I would rather book if the alternative is not being able to eat when I prefer due to everyone else having booked.

I'd really appreciate any advise you could give me on this.

Thanks!

Hello

I've cruised a few times before but this will be the first time on Norwegian (Getaway) and I'm a little confused at how the dining works. At first I thought I had it straight (no set dining times in the main/complementary restaurants, you just turn up and ask for a table and if they don't have one free they give you a thing that notifys you when one is free), but they have just released bookings for restaurants and shows on board and the main dining rooms are apparently available for booking. Is there anyone who has recently been on a Norwegian ship and can explain how this works in practice? I would really rather not book a table every night if I don't have to (I really like the idea of freestyle) but I would rather book if the alternative is not being able to eat when I prefer due to everyone else having booked.

I'd really appreciate any advise you could give me on this.

Thanks!

You can make reservations in the main dining room if you want, but that sort of defeats the purpose of Freestyle. However, for the specialty restaurants, reservations are recommended.

You can make reservations in the main dining room if you want, but that sort of defeats the purpose of Freestyle.

However, for the specialty restaurants, reservations are recommended.

OP, NCL "Freestyle" may mean you are free to wait for a table.

If you refuse the table next to the kitchen door and wait for better, you are free to miss the evening show.

But, who cares(except you)?

You are also free to bribe the maitre d .

Just keep your sense of humor.

we hate to wait so we always book everything ahead, including MDRs.

Making a reservation for the MDR does not guarantee that you will not have to wait. I had reservations for the MDR on the Gem and they made me still wait in line. It was silly. They told me that reservations were not needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just off the Jade. Didn't use the extra charge restaurants, but was a bit worried about getting tables for 2 in the MDR at a convenient time. I booked a random time on line in advance, just to be safe. On the first evening, we decided to head to the buffet instead. So I went down to the desk in Alizar to tell them I would not need the table I had reserved. I was told firmly that I didn't need / didn't have a reservation, the restaurant didn't work like that, just come when you want.

Later in the week, I went to the desk and was seated straight away, no problems, no wait. I did hear that things might be easier on the smaller ships like the Jade, for instance, there was no need and no option to book seats for the theatre. You may get a different opinion regarding the large ships.

If you eat during popular dinner times (7ish) or wait to eat after the early show lets out, there is a chance you might have to wait.

Remember, all three dining rooms serve the same food. Unless you specifically want one over the other, you can see if waits are less elsewhere.

On the Getaway in March, we waited one night to get into Tropicana. It was Norwegian Night Out, right around 7:00. We wanted to eat in Tropicana because of the entertainment and we waited about 20 minutes or so (we were a party of three). They did have people walking around serving glasses of champagne to those who were waiting.

Unless you know you have a show to make later than night, I wouldn't bother making reservations for MDRs. We don't plan on making any for our next two cruises.

Just off the Jade. Didn't use the extra charge restaurants, but was a bit worried about getting tables for 2 in the MDR at a convenient time. I booked a random time on line in advance, just to be safe. On the first evening, we decided to head to the buffet instead. So I went down to the desk in Alizar to tell them I would not need the table I had reserved. I was told firmly that I didn't need / didn't have a reservation, the restaurant didn't work like that, just come when you want.

Later in the week, I went to the desk and was seated straight away, no problems, no wait. I did hear that things might be easier on the smaller ships like the Jade, for instance, there was no need and no option to book seats for the theatre. You may get a different opinion regarding the large ships.

Same on the large ships. Make reservations for the specialty restaurants, but just walk up for the MDRs. If you are a large group you might want a reservation. For a normal size group, you won't have to wait more than a minute if at all.

That is true. I have waited in line lots of times without a reservation.

Very Nice Post.

Later in the week, I went to the desk and was seated straight away, no problems, no wait. I did hear that things might be easier on the smaller ships like the Jade, for instance, there was no need and no option to book seats for the theatre.

You may get a different opinion regarding the large ships.

Me thinks the larger ships are the issue here; when most pax want to be at the same place, at the same time.

Very Nice Post.

Me thinks the larger ships are the issue here; when most pax want to be at the same place, at the same time.

Never had a problem just walking up to the MDR on the breakaway during prime. Longest wait was like 5-10 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sailed the Getaway in January, our first on a NCL ship, and LOVED Freestyle Cruising! We just showed up where we wanted to eat, and once at Savor, they told us we could wait a few minutes for a table or there was tables free across the hall at Taste. We went over to Taste, and were seated immediately. Another time, both Taste and Savor were busy. We were told we could wait at the bar with the buzzer, or go up to the Tropicana Room (the largest of MDR) because they had open tables, so that's what we did. We never waited for any table. Now for our cruise this January, there will be 16 of us, as opposed to just the two of us, so it would be next to impossible to get seating for that many at the same time, so I will reserve one or two large tables in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Let me add that besides the MDRs, we found the Getaway had the best buffet we ever had at sea! Add in how they bring out "late night snacks" which is a pretty big assortment of foods in the buffet every night from 9:30-11:00pm! Wonderful! And RCCL or Carnival don't come anywhere near the caliber of 24 hour full menu offerings that NCL offers at O'Sheehan's Irish Pub! Fabulous!! You will love it!

We really enjoyed the Waterfront--sitting out there having cocktails and relaxing, watching the waves!

Don't forget the late evening parties up in Spice H2O! Make sure you bring glow sticks, etc from home for the Glow Party one night on your cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Forgot to say that when I was seated in the MDR at about 6.15pm, the first thing the waitress asked was if I was planning to attend the 7.30 pm show. As I was only having a main course and dessert, she laughed and said I should be fine. I got the impression that they are used to trying to ensure passengers got served promptly if they had a deadline to meet.

It is quite simple really.

Freestyle means that you have the choice of where you want to eat and (within certain limits), when. There is no allocated seating or anything like that, it is your decision.

However, it doesn't mean that you can decide what you want to do and be guaranteed of being able to do it straight away.

If you choose a speciality restaurant then you may find that there are no spaces available, whether just at that time or at all that day. That's why it is best to have reservations.

In the MDRs you will get in, but there may be a wait if it is busy. There may also be a wait for you to get to the desk to ask for a reservation, whilst they deal with the people in front of you.

A reservation won't avoid the wait to get to the desk, but it should mean that there is a table available for you when you get there. Without a reservation you may find that you have to wait for a short while for a table to come free.

In my experience, we have never waited more than a few minutes for a table in the MDR (although we tend to eat fairly early).

As stated above, if you are in a big group then reservations are probably useful as there are limited tables. Otherwise I would only recommend booking if being told that a table will be ready in 15 minutes will be a major problem to you. Personally I'd rather keep the freedom to decide.

It's no different to eating in a relatively popular restaurant on land. You will probably be seated promptly, but if you happen to turn up at a busy time then there may be a delay.

The only time I would suggest making a reservation for the MDR is on Thanksgiving Day. The past few years we've cruised Escape/Getaway over the holiday and the Manhattan room is nearly impossible to get in without one.

Heya!

Completely agree with all the above comments so I won't bother repeating.

I have never booked and never had to wait more than 5 minutes :-)

I've written about my experience (and love of) NCL's freestyle dining here: http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2017/01/18/ncls-freestyle-dining-explained/

Hope that helps :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Heya!

Completely agree with all the above comments so I won't bother repeating.

I have never booked and never had to wait more than 5 minutes :-)

I've written about my experience (and love of) NCL's freestyle dining here: http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2017/01/18/ncls-freestyle-dining-explained/

Hope that helps :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow - that was great.