TA Advantages vs Self booking Online

Magicbar

Just curious what the advantages/ disadvantages if any are of booking with a TA instead of just doing the booking myself online.

I am a single cruiser who would primarily books either a studio or inside (nothing fancy for me). I just need a place for a hot shower and sleep.

Thanks in advance for any assistance or guidance!

Booking with a TA has additional advantages. They may know the ship and, for example, suggest that the stateroom below the band might not be the quietest, have the latest promos, can advise you if their is a price drop, etc.. If you need help with the cruise line they are a good advocate for your, afterall, you are only one person, they may book many cruisers with the airline.

Just saying.... nice to have a TA in your corner.

Personally I find TAs a hassle and not worthwhile for most popular cruise lines. Unless they can offer a good chunk of OBC I much rather do my own bookings. The only time I use TAs is when booking expedition type of cruises.

I agree with both the above posters. I always use a TA and get 5% OBC from them. Others have posted that they get 10% but we don't know who their TAs are.

The ONLY disadvantage that I know of is that you "loose control" of the booking. The booking is "owned" by the TA and all changes need to go through them. If it is a weekend and the TA is not working, you have to wait and maybe loose out. If you use a big TA or big box store, this may not be an issue is someone is always available. However, if what you need timed limited and the TA is not available, a cruise line supervisor can sometimes, maybe, make the change for you.

All of the above is true but if things do go wrong a good travel agent can get things done for you. You can sometimes get a better deal as well, for us in the UK this is usually when we use a TA in the country of departure, but when they make a mistake it can be a hassle.

100% go with a TA. They don't cost you extra, but give you additional services.

As a plus, if something does go wrong, you've got them in your corner to make it right - much easier than dealing with airline and cruise line customer service yourself.

When the NCL booking system will give me the ability to choose my cabin from ALL the cabins available in my choice of category rather than just a handful on usually one deck only, then perhaps I'll consider booking on the website. Until then, I'll call a TA and choose my cabin based on where I want to be, not where the cruiseline wants to put me.

Also, there are times when the online system will not allow you to combine certain promos, which can easily be done by a live agent, either at NCL or a TA. In fact, I'd bet many who do their own bookings online never even know that other options are available.

And, the TA perks are sometimes very good. For our currently booked cruise, with our Inside cabin we'd have gotten 1 Free at Sea perk with a direct NCL booking. With a TA, we got to choose a second FAS perk, and they offered perk options like Included Daily Service Charges which was not offered by NCL at the time. If the drinks package was chosen, they paid the 18% gratuity on it, not us, and for a 17 day cruise, those two things really saved us a bunch. They also threw in a $100 OBC.

The perks are not always that good, but always better than booking direct. And I've never seen the fact that I can just inform the TA when I have a problem instead of spending hours on the phone on hold myself a disadvantage. When push comes to shove, an online agency does tens (probably hundreds?) of thousands of $$ in business with the cruise lines yearly. They have built relationships. They know who to call. Little ole me does not hold much sway with NCL.

We use a TA to book the cruise but always DIY for flights / hotels / transfers. Our TA offered to book flights etc for our next cruise and the price they quoted was more than double the amount that I paid by organizing it myself.

I booked with TA for two cruises -last cruise party of 17 --TA was able to obtained early seating for party -made arrangements for entertainment venues & gave each cabin $25 Obc -put followed that up with an substantial gift card for dinner at one of our local restaurants-this most recent cruise as it was just myself & daughter traveling -he was able to once again obtain early seating -table for 2 --ocean view (which was the icing on the cake) --and followup gift card for one of our local restaurants---imo a TA would have contacts to facilitate my request-less headache for me

Sent from my iPhone using Forums