transatlantic best side of the ship

marniesplace

So what side do you recommend for a oct 20 cruise from Barcelona to miami

What Princess ship arrives in Miami?

can also depend whether you want more or less sun...

I agree...westbound on the port side for sun & starboard side for shade.

Once I choose the port side on a w/b TA and the direct sunlight got too hot for me & thus limited my balcony time. I don't know if the starboard side in the shade would have been too cool or not.

What's "the best side of the ship" on a Transatlantic? Given the unpredictability of the weather, usually the inside.

But as we assuming the gist of your question is "Do I want a port side or starboard side balcony for a westbound Transatlantic" there are as many different theories as weather possibilities. One is that because your route is as much southerly as westerly the port side will get the morning sun, the starboard side the afternoon. Or you can go with the other theories mentioned above--again, the assumption is you wish to be able to use your balcony while in the middle of the Atlantic; please clarify if the actual question is something else. But I have sailed three westbound Transatlantics: Southampton to New York in both May and August and Venice to Ft Lauderdale in November. My balcony was completely useless on the first two, and on the latter it was 30F and sleeting at sail away from Venice. On that cruise we had been upgraded all the way from obstructed oceanview to balcony cabin, and while the seas eventually became calm enough to sit out there the sun barely made an appearance until the final two days.

So my advice is book the cheapest cabin in any location and use the difference you would have paid on the AIBP.

I like the answer that said, " the one that faces the ocean" which is always great. However, we usually book a cabin's location based upon the route of the voyage before it sails across. For instance, if the itinerary indicates that landfall is on the starboard side, then we pick the odd number cabins and vice versa for a clockwise route that puts the land on the port side.

We take neither port nor starboard. We always cruise in an aft-facing balcony cabin, w/b or e/b. No matter where the sun is, at least we don't have to put up with the constant wind when underway, which is almost all the time.

thanks for all your comments I was just asking what side for the most sun on balcony. I was not even on this site so I have no idea why it got to all you kind people.

And unless you are at sea for the full 15 days, there is a difference in which side you are on.

Thank you fishywood for you kind reply.

What's "the best side of the ship" on a Transatlantic? Given the unpredictability of the weather, usually the inside.

But as we assuming the gist of your question is "Do I want a port side or starboard side balcony for a westbound Transatlantic" there are as many different theories as weather possibilities. One is that because your route is as much southerly as westerly the port side will get the morning sun, the starboard side the afternoon. Or you can go with the other theories mentioned above--again, the assumption is you wish to be able to use your balcony while in the middle of the Atlantic; please clarify if the actual question is something else. But I have sailed three westbound Transatlantics: Southampton to New York in both May and August and Venice to Ft Lauderdale in November. My balcony was completely useless on the first two, and on the latter it was 30F and sleeting at sail away from Venice. On that cruise we had been upgraded all the way from obstructed oceanview to balcony cabin, and while the seas eventually became calm enough to sit out there the sun barely made an appearance until the final two days.

So my advice is book the cheapest cabin in any location and use the difference you would have paid on the AIBP.