Passport name change after marriage?

Colo Cruiser

My wife and I are both previously divorced. Her passport was scheduled to expire a few months after our honeymoon. As her first marriage name change was merely a page printed in the back of the passport (i.e. the picture page had her maiden name, page 30 or whatever had a governmental declaration of the name change), she merely stopped pointing out the name change page when she went back to her maiden name after the divorce. We booked our honeymoon for three weeks after the wedding, and she merely waiting until after the honeymoon to renew her passport.

When we were married 26 yrs ago. The cruise and airline were booked in my wife's maiden name. We didn't need a passport but her drivers license was still in her maiden name. You really can't change any document until you receive the official marriage license signed and sealed. In today's world you have to be diligent about booking flights in the exact name used on the document that you will be presenting for ID at the airport

As others have already said, the best thing is to wait until after the honeymoon. DH and I were married, then left two days later for our cruise. Both the cruise and airline reservations were under my prior name. It wasn't an issue because everything matched my passport.

Thanks everyone. I checked the res and when I made the booking I booked under the married name. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I did not realize I had done that. So I called Princess and had them change everything, Captains Circle/Ez Air/cruise booking etc back to her maiden name. That way she can change everything at her leisure after the cruise. Princess advises that this change will be allowed once and once only. It helped that EZ Air was booked flexible and it's still before final so it's unticketed which made things a little easier for them.

So if she gets the passport changed before she sails she will not be allowed to travel on it based on this booking.

Thanks again!

Thanks everyone. I checked the res and when I made the booking I booked under the married name. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I did not realize I had done that. So I called Princess and had them change everything, Captains Circle/Ez Air/cruise booking etc back to her maiden name. That way she can change everything at her leisure after the cruise. Princess advises that this change will be allowed once and once only. It helped that EZ Air was booked flexible and it's still before final so it's unticketed which made things a little easier for them.

So if she gets the passport changed before she sails she will not be allowed to travel on it based on this booking.

Thanks again!

Wise move. It's amazing how much is affected by a name change. Glad you were able to fix it with very little hassle. It would have been truly horrible to think of all this later and have the cruise lost due to improper documentation.

We were able to get official duplicates of our marriage license, which was sufficient for legal name change documentation, from the town clerk that issued the license. Copies were something like $10 a piece, and were done while we waited and we walked out with them. YMMV on getting official documents copied, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

For the cruise booking alone, I would agree. But Keith has said that cruise air is involved. Name changes on issued airline tickets are not easy or free; given that, and the fact that we don't know how long it will take to receive the certified license copy back, the better course of action is to go with the sure thing. YMMV.

If they get the certified license back quickly, and they still have enough time to make name changes on documents and booking, then sure, go for it. But until that copy is in their hands, they need to plan as if they don't have it.

Traveling with the maiden name passport is completely legal.

Traveling with their maiden name on the passport isn't necessarily legal, it simply must match the name the reservation is booked under, so yes no issue if they keep their maiden name on all the reservations.

Also, I have never heard of an airline charging a fee to change a name on a reservation due to marriage. This is just one travel blog but it has a nice summary of information:

https://travelsort.com/blog/how-to-change-name-on-ticket-due-to-marriage

I was advised by my TA to leave it until after the honeymoon purely as we embark a week after the wedding so all credit and debit cards not to mention the booking and passport all still in my maiden name. We will take our marriage certificate to confirm its our honeymoon.

Here in the UK getting your passport changed at the height of holiday period is lengthy so just going to wait til we get back.

Also it is not a legal requirement to change your name just because you got married. You are intitled to keep your original name if you want. Or your husband can change their name to match yours.

It seems like a lot of bother to change it.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk