Passport name change after marriage?

Colo Cruiser

Hi all,

have a question regarding a name change on the passport after getting married.

Son and his new wife are on the Royal (Med) for their honeymoon. What is the requirement for the name change on the passport for her?

(Bride taking the new name).

1) get name changed on a new passport? I know she will have to at some point.

2) Is it even possible to take supporting documentation with old name passport?

I just want her to send it in and get it done now.

Almost afraid to call Princess due to the multiple answer conundrum. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance as always.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Assume you are speaking about the bride taking a new last name. If they just married and are going on the honeymoon I would use the pre-marrige name name to book the cruise and the pre--marrige passport and deal with the issue when I returned from the honeymoon. CBP has a section on name changes and how to do it.

Assume you are speaking about the bride taking a new last name. If they just married and are going on the honeymoon I would use the pre-marrige name name to book the cruise and the pre--marrige passport and deal with the issue when I returned from the honeymoon. CBP has a section on name changes and how to do it.

Good point......

Never thought about leaving it alone until they return.

Thanks.

Here is some info:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports.html

Change of name:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/services/correction.html

Just a idea, getting her (paying for) the new passport might be a great shower gift!

Ha!!! Or as "THRAK" would say "GAH!! :')

Already paid for their cruise/air. :o

Thanks.

Think I am worried on how Princess will handle it at check in as well.

It's like going to customer service in person.

Is the honeymoon right after the wedding? Or is it later? If there is enought time between the wedding date and the honeymoon, then she might want to get it changed. if not, I would leave it as is. Do her cruise tickets must be in the same name as her passport?

Is the honeymoon right after the wedding? Or is it later? If there is enought time between the wedding date and the honeymoon, then she might want to get it changed. if not, I would leave it as is. Do her cruise tickets must be in the same name as her passport?

Wedding is next week and they already applied for the license and submitted it last week.

Cruise is at the end of Sept so they have enough time to do it.

Right now before final and the name is her maiden name on the booking.

Wedding is next week and they already applied for the license and submitted it last week.

My niece just did this. They had 3 weeks after the wedding before they left for their cruise. Everything was booked in maiden name. They didn't change anything until after they returned.

My niece just did this. They had 3 weeks after the wedding before they left for their cruise. Everything was booked in maiden name. They didn't change anything until after they returned.

Thanks........I think I am going to have them lean toward doing this.

I married in 2015. I left everything in my pre-married name then after the cruise changed it to my married name. It made it so much simpler. No worries on waiting for my new passport to come, no changing reservation name, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I married in 2015. I left everything in my pre-married name then after the cruise changed it to my married name. It made it so much simpler. No worries on waiting for my new passport to come, no changing reservation name, etc.

Thanks. :)

If her name on the booking/air is in her maiden name and she gets a new passport in her married name, she'll need to bring the paper trail with her to prove who she is... namely her marriage license. She might want to bring her birth certificate too for good measure.

There seems to be enough time to make the change, if they want too. Besides the cruise docs and passport there will be name changes on driver licenses and other papers too, if she plans to use her new name.

When I married I change everything as soon as I could. I need to get on my DH health ins, etc. And other important ID cards.

Keith,

As long as the booking is in her maiden name, leave her passport the same way until after the cruise. It can take a long time to get the certified married license copy back, which is the document needed to change names on DL's, passports, Social Security card, etc.

Just as with birth certificate hospital copies, the church copy of the marriage won't work. You need the filed copy of the legal license that they used to get married. It first has to be returned to the issuing office by the officiant and then gets registered with the state/county, and only then can they request their certified copies. In many places that takes several months after the actual wedding.

She can begin the name change process on her other documents earlier than the cruise if needed, just don't do the passport until she has the certified license in hand and a period of two months without travel.

There is so much time between now and the cruise I would have them change everything and be done with it. DW had to recently update her name with Carnival as she took her first cruise with them before we were married and are just going back on them again next month. It was a quick 10 min phone call with no documentation required to update her name on the reservation, I can't imagine it would be any harder on Princess or with the airlines and this would happen fairly often.

There seems to be enough time to make the change, if they want too. Besides the cruise docs and passport there will be name changes on driver licenses and other papers too, if she plans to use her new name.

When I married I change everything as soon as I could. I need to get on my DH health ins, etc. And other important ID cards.

Things like being added to insurance can be done as soon as one is legally married...it just depends on what an employer requires as proof. But it is perfectly fine to change a DL and Social Security card as soon as possible for the reasons you needed them, and to wait a few extra months to get around to changing the passport. Especially when the booking and airfare are already in the maiden name.

If her name on the booking/air is in her maiden name and she gets a new passport in her married name, she'll need to bring the paper trail with her to prove who she is... namely her marriage license. She might want to bring her birth certificate too for good measure.

Wondering how that works with EZ Air if the name is changed on the Princess booking does it change the EZ air res as well?

Thanks.

Wondering how that works with EZ Air if the name is changed on the Princess booking does it change the EZ air res as well?

From what I understand, changing the name on the cruise booking will cancel the air booking and they will have to rebook the air.

... I can't imagine it would be any harder on Princess or with the airlines and this would happen fairly often.
For the cruise booking alone, I would agree. But Keith has said that cruise air is involved. Name changes on issued airline tickets are not easy or free; given that, and the fact that we don't know how long it will take to receive the certified license copy back, the better course of action is to go with the sure thing. YMMV.

If they get the certified license back quickly, and they still have enough time to make name changes on documents and booking, then sure, go for it. But until that copy is in their hands, they need to plan as if they don't have it.

Traveling with the maiden name passport is completely legal.

Keith,

As long as the booking is in her maiden name, leave her passport the same way until after the cruise. It can take a long time to get the certified married license copy back, which is the document needed to change names on DL's, passports, Social Security card, etc.

Just as with birth certificate hospital copies, the church copy of the marriage won't work. You need the filed copy of the legal license that they used to get married. It first has to be returned to the issuing office by the officiant and then gets registered with the state/county, and only then can they request their certified copies. In many places that takes several months after the actual wedding.

She can begin the name change process on her other documents earlier than the cruise if needed, just don't do the passport until she has the certified license in hand and a period of two months without travel.

Thanks Cheryl.

From what I understand, changing the name on the cruise booking will cancel the air booking and they will have to rebook the air.

Well if that's the case than she will have to leave it alone until after the cruise.

The air has gone through the roof since it was booked.

Its been 8 years since I got married, but I still book my wife on cruises in her maiden name, as we haven't bothered to update her passport. As it expires next year, we will do so then.

agreed!! this was me- I didn't change anything until expiration- was easy enough to keep booking international travel with maiden name for several years - I had just gotten passport renewed year before marriage so it was a long time and I waited till it expired