P&O cruiser trying Cunard

sammybonny

Why?????

It would appear from the question, you do not comprehend the differential between 'Cunarders, and 'Red Tops'.

Let one assist.

First time Cunard cruisers are warmly welcomed as Cunarders.

However, first time Red Tops will remain Red Tops, no matter how many times they cruise with Cunard, until they actually become Cunarders.

It would appear from the question, you do not comprehend the differential between 'Cunarders, and 'Red Tops'.

Let one assist.

However, first time Red Tops will remain Red Tops, no matter how many times they cruise with Cunard, until they actually become Cunarders.

And you clearly don't have a clue what a 'Cunarder' actually is. It is a ship operated by the Cunard line; I doubt it cares about your imaginary distinctions.

And you clearly don't have a clue what a 'Cunarder' actually is. It is a ship operated by the Cunard line; I doubt it cares about your imaginary distinctions.

But it tells you all you need to know about how some of people who sail with Cunard think.

Passengers are of a slightly more refined class on Cunard, although I didn't detect anyone that was out and out snobby.

If you happen to be an unfortunate nicotine addict (as I am), the smoking areas on p&o seem to be populated by Jermery kyles's guests, while on the Queen Victoria, the smoking lounge was the liveliest and most fun place on the ship for good conversation.

I enjoyed both. They are more similar than they are different. On balance my heart likes Cunard, my wallet thinks p&o is better value. Bit like deciding between m&s and Sainsbury's....

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Forums

You don't detect anyone snobby? Really, have you re-read your own comments? Referring to people as 'Jermery Kyles guests' on P&O (oh btw it's spelt Jeremy) smacks of snobbery.

Let one assist.

Let one question your explanation because this one doesn't understand your statements at all. How do you differentiate between someone who cruises with Cunard for the first time, who by definition must be a Red Top and and as you state are warmly welcomed, and those who cruise again with Cunard meaning by definition must no longer be a Red Top, so how can they remain a Red Top?

Incorrect statement. On Cunard there is a defined difference between those who are cruising for the time with Cunard, and Red Tops.

I am completely baffled ...anyone else?

I am wondering if Port Royal is referring to a different sort of 'Red Top' namely a British tabloid newspaper reader.

I am wondering if Port Royal is referring to a different sort of 'Red Top' namely a British tabloid newspaper reader.

I am as baffled as you, but please come back and let us know if you find the answer on your cruise.

I've always understood that 'Red Top' means a British tabloid newspaper too! We have cruised mostly with P&O - over 20 cruises but we've also done two with Fred Olsen and one with Cunard. We did a 5 night cruise back in 2012 on Queen Elizabeth, really just to see what we thought of Cunard. We live near Southampton so it's an easy journey. We had a balcony cabin on, I think, Deck 8 by memory. It's a few years ago now so some things may have changed since then.

We thought the buffet was marginally better than P&O - more choices of cold, salad meats and fish - actual glasses to drink out of, not plastic, (I think, someone will tell me if I'm wrong) and best of all an ice machine so the water actually was cold and not warm like it is on P&O.

The cabin was, I think, a similar size to a balcony cabin on say Arcadia - same design I know. The furnishings looked smarter. We really missed not having tea/coffee making equipment. Yes I know you can order from Room Service, which we did, just the once. I ordered tea for my husband and hot chocolate for me. When it came, reasonably promptly, there was no milk with the tea (surely I didn't have to ask for it separately) and the hot chocolate was stone cold. Not impressed.

We were in the Britannia Restaurant, 2nd sitting, table of 8, which is what we always have on P&O. The beef that we had was certainly better than P&O but I wouldn't say anything else shone out as being much better. The one thing that was definitely not better was the service - which really surprised me. The waiter showed no interest in the passengers at all, made no effort to converse, no smile, nothing. Trying to get the attention of a wine waiter was frustrating. While we were still trying the Maitre 'd came round asking if everything was ok. We said we were trying to order some wine. He brought us the Wine List. We chose what we wanted - still no wine waiter. We eventually managed to attract his attention and got our wine after the main course had been delivered.

Things were not much better the following four nights. Of course the other thing that we really noticed was the price of the wine and anything else we bought on board. Adding 15% to everything really adds up. We are not great drinkers, maybe a bottle of wine at dinner, sometimes we don't drink it all and it's saved for the next night. I probably order some coffees and we might have the occasional drink after dinner. Added to that the gratuities charge, our bill for the five nights was so much higher than we would have expected with P&O.

Now, I've no experience with the Grills and I am sure the experience of someone there will be vastly difference. Did we notice any difference on board with the 'classes', no we didn't. I once saw someone use their card to get the lift to go to the deck only accessible to Grills Passengers but other than that we didn't experience anything.

Would we try Cunard again - probably not unless a specific itinerary really appealed to us. Maybe we were unlucky with the cruise we were on. Certainly we have friends who only sail with Cunard and who wouldn't change - not Grill class.

No not just you and this sneering at "red tops" doesn't sit well with the earlier assertion regarding Cunard's

...total lack of pomposity, snobbery, arrogance, moaners, and bad manners.

I'm not sure if some people need to give the Long Island ice teas a rest for a bit (whether crafted by an expert bar steward or poured from a carton :)

I'm not sure if some people need to give the Long Island ice teas a rest for a bit (whether crafted by an expert bar steward or poured from a carton :)

They are not poured from a carton on Cunard, but they are not crafted by an expert bar steward either.

Cocktails are made on a production line basis, with the bar staff adding the measures of ingredients to a shaker that has been pre-filled with ice.

The waiter (eventually) brings over the shaker and does an extravagant shaking at your table, and then pours the drink which has been diluted by the ice melting. They don't use crushed ice or strainers either.

It is classic show over quality.