Hotels in Anchorage?

vacationlover_mn

HOME2 Suites by Hilton Anchorage is part of the new "Hotel Row" in Midtown, Anchorage which I mentioned earlier. Our home is about two blocks from this area. ...

, Fairfield inn and Suites,

Hate to hi-jack, but I saw this. Post. Kennicott, since you live nearby you should know. Is ti safe enough to walk from the Enterprise Rental Car place on International to the Fairfield around 8 PM on a Saturday in June? Enterprise will be closed at that time, so no shuttle back, and I doubt a cab would want to take such a short ride (isn't it like only a half-mile or so?). I'm hoping I can talk the Fairfield shuttle driver into driving over and picking me up, but I want to have a back-up plan.

Hate to hi-jack, but I saw this. Post. Kennicott, since you live nearby you should know. Is ti safe enough to walk from the Enterprise Rental Car place on International to the Fairfield around 8 PM on a Saturday in June? Enterprise will be closed at that time, so no shuttle back, and I doubt a cab would want to take such a short ride (isn't it like only a half-mile or so?). I'm hoping I can talk the Fairfield shuttle driver into driving over and picking me up, but I want to have a back-up plan.

Certainly. It is only a few minute walk anyway. But in mid June at that time it be broad daylight still and lots of traffic and folk will be about. Most crime in Anchorage is more in the northeast part of town, we don't have any problems to speak of around our neighborhood. Actually, used to be more brake-ins and bicycle stealing here about four decades ago and it wasn't even bad then.

Kennicott, since you live in Anchorage, can you please tell me about the hotel area over by the airport, near the lake? I was looking at the Courtyard Marriott hotel there but have read some negative reviews about the area. Any info is appreciated.

Kennicott, since you live in Anchorage, can you please tell me about the hotel area over by the airport, near the lake? I was looking at the Courtyard Marriott hotel there but have read some negative reviews about the area. Any info is appreciated.

Yes, that is a pretty safe area to stay in, who says otherwise is not anywhere near accurate. There are five hotels close to Lake Spenard, "The Lakefront", a Millennium hotel, is the closest to the lake, it is almost right on the water. The Coast International and the Courtyard are also fairly close. Not so far away but still a good distance is the Alex Hotel and Suites and The Barrett Inn. I looked at the Courtyard reviews in Tripadvisor, they looked pretty good on the average to me. I haven't stayed there but have been in the other two close ones to the lake a lot. I believe you made a good choice.

For the life of me, I don't know why folks would be concerned about safety or the lack thereof around that area. My morning ritual involves a drive all the way around the lake system after I have finished my morning workout in a club about five miles to the south of the airport. (Reason I do this is that I check out what is happening within the aviation community, it is in my nature from a life long career in Alaska aviation). So, I never see problems, traffic wise, crime wise, rowdiness wise, always nice and peaceful. In another life, I was manager of the entire Anchorage International Airport system which included the lakes, our cops patrolled the entire lake 24 hours a day. Hardly ever had a problem. Haw, I actually had more problems with the cops goofing off.

Being an old commercial bush pilot and seaplane one as well, I frequent the Seaplane Pilots website. Here is a note I posted just the other day: "Look no further than Lake Hood/Spenard for excellent seaplane viewing. The largest seaplane base, by far, in the world. Next to Anchorage's big airport. The Alaska Aviation Museum is also located on the south shore of Lake Hood. The two lakes are connected by a takeoff/landing canal (southern canal) and a taxiway canal (northern canal). You are free to walk around the entire perimeter of the lake system without having to check into security. There are walking, jogging and bicycle paths around much of the lake system as well. Hotels and eateries surround the east shore of Lake Spenard."

Yes, that is a pretty safe area to stay in,

Glad to hear about that area, also. We are also staying at the Comfort Suites not too far from the lake. Comfort Suites pre-land tour and picking up car at the Enterprise Spenard location, Fairfield post-land tour and dropping off at the other Enterprise location. I thought about staying at the same hotel both times, but I got such good deals on my current bookings that I hate to give them up. :D

Glad to hear about that area, also. We are also staying at the Comfort Suites not too far from the lake.. :D
Yes, that also is a hotel that looks pretty good, I've had friends that stayed there and liked it. It also is just a stones throw away from the water, almost.

Even with the extended daylight, there is still significant crime in the city. Anchorage has a high and rising crime rate with many assaults and an ever increasing rate of theft. I would be aware of your surroundings and walk with someone. Around 8 pm in the summer should be fine, but please be aware, that crime rates are overall up in the summer time across the country and daylight is no guarantee of safety. People have been victims of horrific crime even downtown in a crowded area in broad daylight. The links below will give you an idea of the crime rates, type of crime, etc. The muni.org site will direct you to a link where you can look at a map and analytics by city and you can plug in whatever dates you want.

http://www.muni.org/Departments/police/stats/Pages/Crimemaps.aspx

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ak/anchorage/crime

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/450024433.html

What are pros and cons of Captain Cook? Princess booked us there. I added two more as we are arriving early to spend time with a friend. I don't think it would be worth switching, but I am flexable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Captain Cook was really nice but just had dark hallways. Room was extra large with ceiling fan and nice touches. The hotel has shops and restaurants also. Just 3 blocks from the Convention Center that HAL used as its hospitality center. Close to the Snow City Cafe, Visitors Center, mall, restaurants, etc. Enjoy!

Patti

"Crime is on the rise." Always a relative phrase, rising, in relation to what? Then, what's one's definition of "crime", is it all forms of "crime" in our city that is on an upward spiral? I think not. Personally, I'm not going to develop a paranoia over it as I have seen a lot worse and I sure am not about to discourage anybody from visiting Alaska for that reason. My family home was on Prince William Sound but we spent a lot of time in Anchorage in the late 1940s, 1950s and then I moved my family here permanently in 1964. In order to get a feel of what the seamy side of life in Anchorage might have been like back in the late 1950s, 1960s and early 1970s, read "Johnny's Girl" written by his daughter Kim Rich.

I recall back in the pipeline construction boom days, 1970 through the mid 1980s, there was hardly a block or more in any section of town without a house of "ill-repute" on it disguised as a "Massage Parlor", call girls were hanging out near intersections everywhere in the busiest portions of town. My wife sadly recalls seeing, from her downtown office window, one poor little girl pitching her talents wearing high heels she could hardly figure out how to walk in. You don't see any of that today. And, similar to today, years ago, the Mountain View area of town had the most problems. Back then though, due to its proximity to the military base many single men with no social life, frequented the area. However, over the years the military has changed by providing family housing all over the bases, dramatically improving the quality of life for the military in this community. Not to mention the proliferation of religious organizations here which have provided meaning for many previous lost souls.

Having had a lot to do with law enforcement in Alaska I can point out horrid examples of murder and other atrocities at any point in time since my professional career began, as some feel compelled to do today in attempts to point out how bad things are right now, in their opinion that is. I do agree however, that the opioid drug crisis in this country and the fact that so many down and outers nowadays feel compelled to pack heat due to gun laws being decimated have influenced a rise in certain segments of law breaking.

Indeed, one must be careful anywhere in the world. But all in all, over the last 6.5 decades, I have witnessed major improvements in the quality of life for families in Anchorage and a distinct reduction in negatives, such as crime.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2017/09/25/anchorage-property-crime-rates-are-rising-but-theyve-been-worse/

• 5 months later...
HOME2 Suites by Hilton Anchorage is part of the new "Hotel Row" in Midtown, Anchorage which I mentioned earlier. Our home is about two blocks from this area. A cab to the airport usually runs us between $10.00 and $12.00.

"Hotel Row"---There are nine, relatively new, name hotels, between Tudor Road and International Airport Road on C Street today, with two more going up, and two others very close, all these are interspersed with eateries, some have their own restaurants and bars which allow walk-ins in addition to free breakfast for guests.

They include the Hyatt House, Crowne Plaza Anchorage, Fairfield inn and Suites, Motel 6, Home Suites by Hilton, Home 2 Suites by Hilton, Homewood Suites by Hilton, Hilton Garden Inn, Aspen Suites, Hampton Inn, Spring Hill Suites, Hyatt Place, Staybridge Suites and Courtyard by Marriott as well as other less known ones.

Hi-jacking too fir some local advice. We are staying 2 nights in July at Home 2 suites before cruise. Any good restaurants in walking distance as we won't have a car. Or do you suggest taxi or Uber/Lyft to some begetter places. Seafood etc. thank you.

Hi-jacking too fir some local advice. We are staying 2 nights in July at Home 2 suites before cruise. Any good restaurants in walking distance as we won't have a car. Or do you suggest taxi or Uber/Lyft to some better places. Seafood etc. thank you.

There are quite a number of restaurants within easy walking distance of your hotel. Of the name restaurants, I found TGI Fridays surprisingly good about four months ago for lunch. Applebee's, not so good. Golden Corral, what can I say, "all you can eat for a dime" LOL. But I wouldn't try those for dinner. Instead, here are three very close by that I would look at: (Doriolas is the highest on quality, however, they really don't do dinner except for a specialty deal, take a look at their menu). Villa Nova used to be one of our favorites in Anchorage, we haven't eaten there for a few years though.

http://www.villanovaalaska.com/Reviews.html

http://locations.blackangus.com/ll/us/ak/anchorage/300-w_-tudor-road?utm_source=MomentFeed_1023

http://www.doriolas.com/index.shtml

Now, our two top favorites in Anchorage are two gourmet restaurants, one is downtown, Marx Brothers, the other is just a short cab ride from your hotel, Kincaid Grill. Chef Al owns and runs Kincaid, he is one of the top chefs, if not the top chef, in Alaska, don't be fooled by the "Grill" in the name. Neither of these two are inexpensive though. If I were you, I would do Kincaid.

http://www.kincaidgrill.com/

Our stay at the Lakefront was great. Staff was very helpful. We told the front desk that we were going return our rental at the airport & would take the hotel shuttle back. At the airport they told us the wrong pickup point for the shuttle & after we had not returned to the hotel in a timely manner, 2 employees from the front desk come pick us up without us calling the hotel. Can’t ask for better service than that! Food was good at the restaurant but a little pricey. Really enjoyed watching the plane land & take off on the lake.

HOME2 Suites by Hilton Anchorage is part of the new "Hotel Row" in Midtown, Anchorage which I mentioned earlier. Our home is about two blocks from this area. A cab to the airport usually runs us between $10.00 and $12.00.

"Hotel Row"---There are nine, relatively new, name hotels, between Tudor Road and International Airport Road on C Street today, with two more going up, and two others very close, all these are interspersed with eateries, some have their own restaurants and bars which allow walk-ins in addition to free breakfast for guests.

They include the Hyatt House, Crowne Plaza Anchorage, Fairfield inn and Suites, Motel 6, Home Suites by Hilton, Home 2 Suites by Hilton, Homewood Suites by Hilton, Hilton Garden Inn, Aspen Suites, Hampton Inn, Spring Hill Suites, Hyatt Place, Staybridge Suites and Courtyard by Marriott as well as other less known ones.

Hi-jacking too fir some local advice. We are staying 2 nights in July at Home 2 suites before cruise. Any good restaurants in walking distance as we won't have a car. Or do you suggest taxi or Uber/Lyft to some begetter places. Seafood etc. thank you.

It's not within walking distance of downtown, but they do have a shuttle that will take you there as well as take you to the airport. The Embassy Suites is really nice with a managers reception and cooked to order breakfast plus a 2 room suite that will sleep anywhere from 4-6 people. We also took the shuttle to the train station when we left for Seward. I would think that you could call them and they would send a shuttle over to pick you up at the train station, but best to call and verify.

No opening dates get. Maybe they aren't sure exactly when everything will be ready. Thank you!

I just drove throughout "Hotel Row". It appears as if, out of the three new hotels under construction, that the Staybridge Suites is the only one which might get into operation sometime this summer. The facade is only about 25% complete and it looks like they have recently started working on the interior. There is a huge amount of construction activity there though, but even with that, I can't see them opening before August. I notice that they aren't even taking reservations yet.

As far as the other two, Hyatt Place and Courtyard by Marriott, you can see where they will be located as ground has been broken, but no way before 2019. There are ten there open for business right now, if you count Marriott's SpringHill Suites (SpringHill is located on A Street and 36 Avenue [A Street merges with C Street at 40th Avenue] while the other nine are located directly south on C Street between Tudor Road [44th Avenue] and International Airport Road [52nd Avenue]. The new Staybridge Suites will be adjacent to SpringHill.

There is a large Outback Steakhouse directly across A Street from SpringHill Suites and a large Walmart directly north of Spring Hill as well as a large Century Theatre directly to the southeast of both of them.

I just drove throughout "Hotel Row". It appears as if, out of the three new hotels under construction, that the Staybridge Suites is the only one which might get into operation sometime this summer. The facade is only about 25% complete and it looks like they have recently started working on the interior. There is a huge amount of construction activity there though, but even with that, I can't see them opening before August. I notice that they aren't even taking reservations yet.

As far as the other two, Hyatt Place and Courtyard by Marriott, you can see where they will be located as ground has been broken, but no way before 2019. There are ten there open for business right now, if you count Marriott's SpringHill Suites (SpringHill is located on A Street and 36 Avenue [A Street merges with C Street at 40th Avenue] while the other nine are located directly south on C Street between Tudor Road [44th Avenue] and International Airport Road [52nd Avenue]. The new Staybridge Suites will be adjacent to SpringHill.

There is a large Outback Steakhouse directly across A Street from SpringHill Suites and a large Walmart directly north of Spring Hill as well as a large Century Theatre directly to the southeast of both of them.

Thank you for so much detailed info! It's very much appreciated.