NCL Alaska complete confusion - Is it Sun or Jewel 2018 from Vancouver/Seward?

Daffodil92

I was so confused when I went on NCL website and saw my ship had changed. First thing I did was come here. Thankful I have a clue what is going on. Never heard anything from NCL.

NCL hasn't been good about communicating on this one and I am surprised that all passengers haven't been moved already. There couldn't have been that many reservations based on the cabin availability I saw on the Sun - before it disappeared :confused:

Did you see your new cabin on line?

Just tried to call on my lunch hour to re-book the room with one of the choices I was given last night. First told all those rooms were gone, then after being on hold, told they couldn't re-book any rooms until possibly a week from now, so she couldn't say for sure that those rooms were gone or not.

We moved to the Jewel to be safe. Too many signs point to the ship change. Hope we gambled correctly. We needed connecting cabins and very few were left on the Jewel for our date.

I have a reservation for Aug. 2018 that was on Sun and has been moved to Jewel. I got an updated confirmation that showed the change, but I had to figure out what those changes were on my own. When I log into my NCL account it now, finally, shows the changes to Jewel and the new cabin. It appears they are getting things moved over.

We moved to the Jewel to be safe. Too many signs point to the ship change. Hope we gambled correctly. We needed connecting cabins and very few were left on the Jewel for our date.

The change has been confirmed with NCL but you didn't say when you were sailing:

...this change is only for the Norwegian Sun reservations between the dates of 5/26/2018 - 9/10/18. All future cruises aboard the Norwegian Sun will have no change..."

You didn't say when you are sailing but the NCL site isn't updated and bookings aren't possible for anything within this date range. Maybe you aren't sailing to Alaska?

The change has been confirmed with NCL but you didn't say when you were sailing:

...this change is only for the Norwegian Sun reservations between the dates of 5/26/2018 - 9/10/18. All future cruises aboard the Norwegian Sun will have no change..."

You didn't say when you are sailing but the NCL site isn't updated and bookings aren't possible for anything within this date range. Maybe you aren't sailing to Alaska?

Sailing July 9, 2018 on the Jewel (previously the Sun) - Alaska Northbound

NCL hasn't been good about communicating on this one and I am surprised that all passengers haven't been moved already. There couldn't have been that many reservations based on the cabin availability I saw on the Sun - before it disappeared :confused:

Did you see your new cabin on line?

Well, when I first went to the NCL site, it wasn't working. The next day when I logged on to make a payment, I saw that I was switched from the Sun to the Jewel. I don't have an issue with it, just surprised that I was never notified by Norwegian.

Nothing showing for the Sun from March 31, 2018 til November 27, 2018. I can still access my November Panama Canal and Southern Caribbean on MyNCL but nothing shows when I search cruises for those dates.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Now you know. The Sun is joining the Sky doing weekly short cruises to Cuba and the Bahamas out of PC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Right.

This is apparently just out officially.

But as of now, it's only for the summer, 2018, so Jewel will be "rejoining" the Alaska ships for 2018 season.

There apparently will be a dry dock in Victoria.

"Winter season" Sun itineraries to South America appear to be unchanged... so far.

I was booked on the last Sept itinerary on the Sun, so I'm assuming we are the last one being moved over to the Jewel. My TA posted this today....looks like I'll know tomorrow where I ended up. If I'm not still in an Aft suite, I will not be happy lol. I hope they make it easy to shift rooms....ugh

waWNmPHRpD2aeOYpf8iRLvYc1jbHXiOlrIt-uOMmC15wwiXQ7nwsoB2TpsJ3aCRspYBZ0HA_G1yxO7Iwe_MqoHmx2JRAPouKDWVTiO_qym3nAevfmYVP9k9Pm1S3tMDv8iIOwriekqmf7YObmEAxT3fBU0qFMZIoSh-VJtVQgHW0fE_PFu0XgwpfNQZRZvJt2gnZoUdZKRNenr4HN14OkZ8-dO3mHgUVVhFq3eMGDcLy6j0DOn5f-YXJIXVHL5Xg--oLi2nmrXkb2ILPGelVBvxyjLZlTMaK2QcNH_CMBTCyXaD6v_2hAltXziaV2THXSDtChd67yPgNNAlayFAGfhLbq8bTTnjXxW0TnEwiLteYLzzU7fNLmJhNSK2irQPRN_kJOHyT7k6FW6to7dPvpj9Qx9l5of8RHlGLgdW98aoU_bFJfiZLT3Ji2LyQyUoi_tHYR2BdryAMwYUaxi7jrH4icKL6X4wMM4aVSdrKI5n4XDR8OXBp6g_yNZYR2xxaKlH4c0lKXfuD9G8PRILroruXm3qvUaknzrjy5Egz9rnDH3adFy7LbYmr8_P49RNurcr6hFIyON-roedsfFyc4Eh-qg3KWQldAaK3pHj9qROIswM96D51TOmTeg=w493-h530-no

Right.

This is apparently just out officially.

But as of now, it's only for the summer, 2018, so Jewel will be "rejoining" the Alaska ships for 2018 season.

There apparently will be a dry dock in Victoria.

"Winter season" Sun itineraries to South America appear to be unchanged... so far.

I will probably wait a little later than usual in securing our airfare for our 2019 South American cruise

My sister and I just discovered the ship changes "by accident" today when we were getting the "Uh-Oh" message on the website yesterday and today when we were trying to check prices and seeing if airfare was available for June '18 yet.! We called our NCL planner and she is working on getting our cabins corrected since we had one on each side of the ship. We just got "the official" email from NCL about an hour ago!

Anyone going on the land and sea tour 6/14-6/25/18? (Cruise departs Seward 6/18 and gets to Vancouver 6/25)

Edited by TEXAS SUNFLOWER

I will probably wait a little later than usual in securing our airfare for our 2019 South American cruise

Good point.

We'll be using awards points, and wanting premium seats, which can be difficult to get.

So I suppose we'll go ahead once the dates open, and start getting seats on a reasonable date.

We can "re-bank" those for a very modest fee, if necessary. And if there is a change, the trip insurance would probably cover that fee anyway (not that it's important for that price point).

I don't even think we'd need to "bump up" the amount of the insurance. The coverage for the first deposit, which is done in chunks, would probably include that extra fee already.

But it's a very good thing to keep in mind. Thanks!

We still have no idea what the Jewel is doing between 4/28/18 in Tokyo and 5/26/18 in Seattle. Should be a nice 28 day cruise.

Yes, that's odd.

Jewel's schedule/calendar shows a big hole during that interval.

Didn't the Dawn a year or two ago have a repo during which the dry dock started (like, tearing everything up, so it could be trashed, and the new installed after arrival at dry dock location)?

Is that commonly done for a major overhaul, rather than "topical cosmetic touches" (for lack of better terminology), where the transportation to/from dry dock is an actual cruise?

But 28 days is a l-o-n-g time for that part.

We still have no idea what the Jewel is doing between 4/28/18 in Tokyo and 5/26/18 in Seattle. Should be a nice 28 day cruise.

That's about what it takes to get back to the States. Going out, it's 10 days from Vancouver to Hawaii. 12 days from Hawaii to Tahiti. Then outbound, 17 days from Tahiti to Sydney.

So, maybe around Japan to Tahiti. Tahiti to Hawaii. Hawaii to Vancouver (so you get an international port), and a 1 day reposition from Vancouver to Seattle. We would actually love to take a segment from Tahiti to Hawaii.

Good point.

We'll be using awards points, and wanting premium seats, which can be difficult to get.

So I suppose we'll go ahead once the dates open, and start getting seats on a reasonable date.

We can "re-bank" those for a very modest fee, if necessary. And if there is a change, the trip insurance would probably cover that fee anyway (not that it's important for that price point).

I don't even think we'd need to "bump up" the amount of the insurance. The coverage for the first deposit, which is done in chunks, would probably include that extra fee already.

But it's a very good thing to keep in mind. Thanks

I was planning a similar strategy...premium seats seem to be more difficult going to SA than Asia. I'll probably have to wait a little longer anyway, since I'm light on miles needed...particularly since UA is increasing the miles needed. I may have to buy one if I come up short...then I would be in a world of hurt.

I was planning a similar strategy...premium seats seem to be more difficult going to SA than Asia. I'll probably have to wait a little longer anyway, since I'm light on miles needed...particularly since UA is increasing the miles needed. I may have to buy one if I come up short...then I would be in a world of hurt.

You may have posted this elsewhere, but which S.Am. cruise on the Sun are you planning?

The itinerary for Eastbound and Westbound don't seem to be exactly the same, although it's a bit difficult to compare.

Doesn't look like this news has not been imparted to NCL customer reps. Still can't find my four month old reservation on-line. I just called again and was told the reason I get the UH-OH Page (500 - internal server error) is due to technical problems. Customer rep swiftly transferred me to the technicians. The technician is the first person, outside of this board, to explain that the ships are being changed and that is the reason for UH-OH.

Still awaiting word on my "new" cabin number, as well as the other parties in my group.

I've two other groups also looking to book - but they are told that all new bookings are indefinitely halted.

At what point will the competition jump on this debacle and offer enticing alternatives?

Eastbound...Feb 16. The Sirena, a bit later, might be my fallback, but the cruise is longer than I want. And then, how could one end a cruise in Lima and not add more days for Machu Picchu? I would have to go with a cheap seat cabin on O, but the overall environment of O is more to our liking. On this heavy sea day cruise, I thought the better entertainment on NCL would also be a plus.

Still awaiting word on my "new" cabin number, as well as the other parties in my group. I've two other groups also looking to book - but they are told that all new bookings are indefinitely halted. At what point will the competition jump on this debacle and offer enticing alternatives?

Cruise itineraries change many, many times a year on every cruise line. And it always takes time to shift reservations and make sure that all current customers are accommodated before opening the ship up for new reservations. And guess what,,, priority is given to suites guests. No "debacle". No one has magic fairy dust that can magically shift passengers from ship to ship.