Argentina has removed reciprocity fee from 1.7.17 for Australians

A bit late for us, did Argentina in 2014. Three weeks land travel then Golden Princess around ye olde Cape Horn - 30 days, Buenos Aires to LA. I think the fee was about US100.

Is it reciprocal ?

..ie ...do Argentinians still have to pay to enter Australia?

I don't know. However it is still called reciprocity fee.

I thought the amount of fees passengers had to pay to just call at ports was very high. It all mounted up.

I paid it en route to Antarctica.

On another note talking about visas etc, Qatar Airways is offering free stopovers and free visas for Doha. I think business is down with the Middle East dramas with their neighbours.

They reduced their airfares, but still pricey compared to some other carriers. I am up with fares as researching same re travel to UK next May,June,July.

Back to the topic, no doubt reciprocity fee dropped to make travel to the Argentine more attractive. Lovely place anyway, I could live there, they even have gum trees and their red wine the Malbec is lubbly jubbly.

:p

Edited by NSWP

When we flew into the international airport in Santiago we had to pay a reciprocity fee. From memory I think we paid US$90. If you arrive by ship there is no fee. That was few years ago.

On a recent trip we flew into Santiago, then transferred to another flight to go to Lima. There was no fee.

Think it is $115us and pay on arrival.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

After having seen so many places in South America already, I would like to get to Chile one day. Would be good to get that fee dropped as well, but cannot see that happening any time soon.

After having seen so many places in South America already, I would like to get to Chile one day. Would be good to get that fee dropped as well, but cannot see that happening any time soon.

We just don't know. I am pleasantly surprised about the Argentinian reciprocity fee being dropped after only being in force for a few years. It came in in 2013 while we were on a cruise around South America (Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco).

We just don't know. I am pleasantly surprised about the Argentinian reciprocity fee being dropped after only being in force for a few years. It came in in 2013 while we were on a cruise around South America (Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco).

They could always reinforce it again at any time.

Yes:(,

I actually see prices going up in the future for most countries, rather than coming down or being removed.

I think removing the reciprocity fee was a good idea to encourage tourism.

Why do you think the prices will go up for most countries? I think if more countries like Argentina have travel warnings, the middle class, in countries like US and Australia, struggle to maintain their standard of living, unrest in North Korea, Med and the Middle East and the Baltics, terrorism in UK and Europe, travel will become an optional extra, with many people choosing to travel more at home.

Morning Uncle Mic, you can fly return into Santiago from Sydney for a thousand bucks these days. More money left for the Chilean Merlot.:halo:

Morning Uncle Mic, you can fly return into Santiago from Sydney for a thousand bucks these days. More money left for the Chilean Merlot.:halo:
Some airfares are really good but really want to tie it in with a few other places as well. Chilean Fjords, Bolivia, Paraguay and Easter Island.:D

Its been in place a lot longer than that as I paid it in 2010. It came in later for ship arrivals.

Only because it is the way of the world, things tend to go up rather than down, even when fighting for the tourism dollar.

Yep, when times are tough it's the easy political choice. Rather than increasing charges for citizen voters; easier to charge foreigners. And the tourism industry isn't usually the strongest lobby group.

On another note talking about visas etc, Qatar Airways is offering free stopovers and free visas for Doha. I think business is down with the Middle East dramas with their neighbours.

They reduced their airfares, but still pricey compared to some other carriers. I am up with fares as researching same re travel to UK next May,June,July.

Back to the topic, no doubt reciprocity fee dropped to make travel to the Argentine more attractive. Lovely place anyway, I could live there, they even have gum trees and their red wine the Malbec is lubbly jubbly.

:p

Just paid Us$35.00 each just for 10 hrs on the 29th of June!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums