Afternoon tea Queens Grill

majortom10

Do they do afternoon tea on the Queens Grill lounge and if so is it any different to what is available in Queens Room.

On QM2 they do although not on embarkation days. It's a different atmosphere and much more quiet and of course the service is more attentive. Same sandwiches and sweets but the scones are offered with Devonshire cream rather then the yellow goo served in the Queens Room. (Although my British cousins claim it's not authentic Devonshire cream.)

Do they do afternoon tea on the Queens Grill lounge and if so is it any different to what is available in Queens Room.
Hi majortom

Yes, they have afternoon tea in the Queens Grill Lounge and the choices and quality are greater than in the Queens Room.

There are photos of the Queens Grill Lounge afternoon tea here:

www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/33097382185/in/album-72157676774009275/

www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/33097388635/in/album-72157676774009275/

www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/33055632606/in/album-72157676774009275/

www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/33097387085/in/album-72157676774009275/

www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/33055988126/in/album-72157676774009275/

and here:

www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/33055978986/in/album-72157676774009275/

Note the tea pots for each person with your selection of tea from a menu with several choices (not one pot poured into many cups across several tables), leaf tea, a tea-timer (for black, green and white teas), and excellent strainers containing the leaves (removed from the pot when indicated). Superb choice of food to accompany the tea, with a slightly better choice of sandwiches, pastries and filled rolls than available in the Queens Room.

One voyage wasn't enough so one day I'll do it all again :)

Hope this helps.

Edited by pepperrn

Hi majortom

Note the tea pots for each person with your selection of tea from a menu with several choices (not one pot poured into many cups across several tables), leaf tea, a tea-timer (for black, green and white teas), and excellent strainers containing the leaves (removed from the pot when indicated). Superb choice of food to accompany the tea, with a slightly better choice of sandwiches, pastries and filled rolls than available in the Queens Room.

One voyage wasn't enough so one day I'll do it all again :)

Hope this helps.

This is how I remember the Queen's Grill Lounge afternoon tea, but it has been three years since we were in the Grills. Prior to a friend's first QM2 voyage last summer I described the tea service as in the photos.

He sent an e-mail from mid-Atlantic saying the food was fine but there was only tea bags and, of course, no timers needed due to the absence of leaf teas. Has anyone had more recent experience? All observations are appreciated.

This is how I remember the Queen's Grill Lounge afternoon tea, but it has been three years since we were in the Grills. Prior to a friend's first QM2 voyage last summer I described the tea service as in the photos. He sent an e-mail from mid-Atlantic saying the food was fine but there was only tea bags and, of course, no timers needed due to the absence of leaf teas. Has anyone had more recent experience? All observations are appreciated.
If it helps david Mississauga, these photos were taken in December '16. I could not fault the service, or the tea. food and presentation. Edited by pepperrn

In October 2016 in QE Grill Lounge it was just poured cups of tea, no timers! But still a great experience with great service.

During afternoon tea, ask for a cup of tea in the Grills lounge and it will be poured for you but ask for a specific tea and you'll get individual teapots with the tea bag/s in.

I have seen timers used occasionally.

If it helps david Mississauga, these photos were taken in December '16. I could not fault the service, or the tea. food and presentation.

Thank you for the clarification, pepperrn. I will let our friend know that what he experienced in August last year was unusual and not a downgrading of the afternoon tea experience. He did say the food and service was excellent throughout the ship.

Everyone seems to love the tea service in the Grills Lounge. I just like the Lounge. It's one of my favorite spaces on board. We go there for coffee at 11:00 AM.

Quick question- are there any pastries or similar when you go at 11am? Whilst we've been for afternoon tea, we've never thought to go for morning coffee. I feel like I'm missing out ;)

Quick question- are there any pastries or similar when you go at 11am? Whilst we've been for afternoon tea, we've never thought to go for morning coffee. I feel like I'm missing out ;)

No pastries, and no food at all. Just drinks, and at that hour, coffee is my preference. It's extremely peaceful and pleasant to sit in the lounge & we often have it to ourselves.

On QV, there is a stash of cookies behind the bar which are very pleasant to have with morning coffee.

Around noon, staff come around the deck with finger sandwiches, just in case the carb intake needs a top up before lunch and in hot climates, juicy fruit/melon skewers are offered.

In the afternoon, just after lunch, staff come around the decks with dishes of ice cream. Can't remember if that happens in cool weather climes.

On QV, there is a stash of cookies behind the bar which are very pleasant to have with morning coffee.

Around noon, staff come around the deck with finger sandwiches, just in case the carb intake needs a top up before lunch and in hot climates, juicy fruit/melon skewers are offered.

In the afternoon, just after lunch, staff come around the decks with dishes of ice cream. Can't remember if that happens in cool weather climes.

I love the little treats, especially the 3pm ice cream.