First time on the Breakaway...advice?

LMS3386

Yes you should know that despite all the reviews here about overcrowding and waiting 10-15 mins to be seated for dinner (what a tragedy) and having to wait on standby if you didnt book a show in advance, you're going to have a GREAT time.

The Breakaway is a great ship, I have been on her 4 ties and again in November. Have lunch in Taste or Savor the first day and stay away from the buffet its too busy. Make sure you make reservations to see the shows before you board the showroom is small and it fills up fast. Have a good time.

We sail on Sunday 7/16 on our first NCL cruise on the Breakaway and I also have read a lot of pro/con info but am looking forward to it immensely! We are psyched that we (DH and I) were able to successfully bid on the Haven (H7) and I think this is going to be great as well. I wasn't able to get the Rock of Ages booking in advance so I think that will be on end of my priorities after booking. After that, just cruising!,

Seconding the recommendation of Taste or Savor for breakfast on embarkation day. They're far less crowded than the buffet.

If you're up early, the outdoor section of Maltings has a coffee dispenser in the mornings. It's really nice to get a cup of coffee and watch the sun come up over the ocean, and it's a very peaceful spot.

The sundeck outside of Vibe is often less crowded, and there's a bar right there (the other side of it is in Vibe itself). If you can't find a chair at Spice H20, it's a good option.

There is a lunch buffet at Moderno on sea days. It's less crowded than other places, and they have a themed menu each day. It's worth checking out!

I think that if you go into the cruise aware of the issues people have had with the ship, you can figure out ways to avoid them yourself, or at least be aware of what you might have to deal with. I went into my cruise very nervous that I wouldn't enjoy it because of crowding. But since I knew it might be an issue in advance, I was able to work around it.

We have been on the Breakaway 3 times with a 4th coming up in September. My best advice is on a sea day if it rains stay away from the public areas or bring a cattle prod. The congestion is really bad inside when there are few on the outside decks.

We are just off BA and had an awesome cruise. We were a group of 11 and made a standing reservation for 7:30 eachnight in the Manhattan room and were seated promptly. The wait staff could nothave been more attentive to us our waiters name was Bam Bang from Indonesia(request him if he is still on board) he was the best waiter we have ever hadto date. A tip; if you have the dining package you can use it at the Ocean Blueraw bar and eat like a king and queen starting at 5:30 with no res. We ended upcancelling our reservations at Le Bistro and Mederno for this option instead.You can order unlimited amounts of oysters, jumbo shrimp, stone crabs,lobsters, crap legs, clams etc. Honestly my favorite part of the trip. Everynight we met at Shakers for a pre-dinner drink the bartender Urma was a realsweetheart. After dinner, we would head up to H2O for the evening’sentertainment. If you get there before 9:45 there are four great high tables atthe back next to the bar that are elevated above the dance floor IMO best seatsin the house. The cocktail waiter we had was Andre and he never let our glassesgo empty. He was also our daytime server at H2O. We did Rock of Ageson Wednesday great show, but theatre seats are the most uncomfortableseats at sea. Embarkation was a breeze we arrive around 9am boarded 11:20 group7 (we are silver latitudes) sadly Vibe was sold out already. We had it lasttime on BA well worth the extra $. Disembarkation was the fastest we have everexperienced we did the 8am walk off option and were off the ship and clearedcustoms by 8:20. For an excursion I would recommend contacting Capt. Caleb@ SailBermuda.com for a private catamaran snorkel trip it was about 110ppplus drinks. Boat was brand new and perfect for up to 30 people. We were upmost nights till 2am and did not see anyone who was drunk enough to take noticeof. did see a lot of people having a great time.

TIPS FOR BREAKAWAY NEW CRUISERS ( AND RETURNING AS WELL)

* Embarkation lunch is not just at the buffet, you can go to Taste (or Savor, whichever is open), O'sheehans, is also open for lunch.

* Muster drill is a 2 or 3 pm, depends of your sailing time, so at least 1/2 before, all ship services will be shut down, that include bars, restaurants, cabin services, etc. so plan accordingly and don't get caught by surprise. Also the Elevators will be shut down, so make sure you are close to your muster Drill location beofre that or be prepare to walk a lot of stairs.

* on sea days, MODERNO RESTAURANT also has a special buffet, we have had MEDITERRANEAN, MEXICAN, INDIAN AND GERMAN THEME BUFFETS, including local drinks. they are great. They vary by itinerary.

*Sometimes even for returning cruisers is confusing where is what, if you can't figure out where is FWD and AFT , just look at the floor, the carpet on the hallways, the fishes swim FWD, also at the entrance of the cabin hallways, it is a sign with the cabin numbers, PORT SIDE, THE SIGN IS YELLOW, STARBOARD SIDE IS BLUE, look for that and you always will know which side your cabin is.

* I know, I know, gratuities on the UBP were included when we paid the cruise fare, but if you want fast service at the bars, a $1 bill in your hand will get your drink faster than the other guy next to you, even more if you are a returning customer to that bar, Bartenders have an amazing memory and they can remember no just your name but your partner's as well. They do appreciate the tips, believe me, we never had problems getting drinks quickly, the only exception it might be the pool bars at peak time because they are at least 4 or 5 bartenders and many many passengers asking for drinks at the same time, but we still tip them and get our drinks faster.

* Same thing with the Stewards tips, we usually prepaid the gratuites but i always give some $20 embarkation day when i ask them for a few requests, and then more at the end of the cruise. They do work really hard and they deserve it, and that way i ensure a good and prompt service all cruise long.

* At the Buffet for breakfast they are many stations that prepare to order omelets, do not stop at the first one you see, usually the longest line, walk around and you probably will find another one down the hallway with just a few Pax waiting. Also always bring something with you to secure a table, like a hat or a magazine or something you can leave on the table while you go to get your food, many times unattended food is taken away by the staff. remember is not food trays at the buffet, so you will need to make at least 2 trips to your table, 1 for your food, other one for your drinks, unless you work for the Cirque Dreams Show and are able to manage both at the same time.

*Also at the Buffet, at dinner time it is a station that prepare Crepes, they are really nice, I usually get one and then go to the ice cream station and put a scoop on top, mmmmm love it.

*I know you will be in vacation, but don't forget is also a complimentary GYM onboard, it has nice cardio and weights sections. They also have up for charge classes, spinning, yoga, TRX and other things i think; never had taken any of those, but they offer those for the ones interested.

* Margaritaville is an Upcharge restaurant but you can go there or directly to the bar and get great Margaritas with your UBP, The INCOMUNICADO is wonderful.

Just my 2 cents. I've been on the BA 6 or 7 times and I still get lost sometimes. And I laugh about the horrible reviews people post, yes, the pool is overcrowded, is hard to find chairs around the pool, sometimes is hard to get reservations for the restaurants, but if you plan ahead, everything will be fine. If you have the UDP (dinning Package) make your reservations ahead of time, don't wait until boarding time, but if you can get the time you want, as soon you get on the ship, go to Headliners, on deck 6, that is were the restaurant reservations will be and they can take of all there.

have a nice cruise and have fun.

Carlos

Compared to the Gem, there is a lot more to do on the Breakaway and you will not be able to do it all!

When we first boarded, we never thought we would arrive at our cabin after boarding from the front of the ship and needing to go past midship. It felt like we walked from NY to NJ!!! But if you are located a little back from midship you are near all the food/dining rooms, elevators and even the buffet.

Getting off in Bermuda after the first day we found it easier to go to deck 6 and then walk to the front of the ship to take the elevator down rather than crossing deck 5 which starts out with a wide hallway and then narrows so much that you cannot fit 2 people across.

The Attrium has indoor chair hogs so be prepared :( to stand up for most of the evening activities that are held there.

MARAPRINCE

The BA is a great ship! (Yes, there are a few design flaws- but still a great ship!) Everyone has given great advice. My suggestion is to always read the Freestyle Daily (delivered each evening for the next day) because so much is going on- especially at night. Don't assume each evening will be the same. And if you don't make ressies in advance for a show, there is a stand-by line, so don't think you'll miss out on it.

My last tip- go to your Meet & Greet.

Have a great cruise, Lynn

Is Taste and Savor open every day for lunch? And what is the charge for Moderno' sea day lunch?

Yes, Savor and Taste are open every day for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Embarkation day only open for Lunch and Dinner. Moderno Sea days Buffets are Complimentary. Not always available on sea days, you 'll need to check the dailies to see if and what kind they will have.

Yes, Savor and Taste are open every day for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Embarkation day only open for Lunch and Dinner. Moderno Sea days Buffets are Complimentary. Not always available on sea days, you 'll need to check the dailies to see if and what kind they will have.

That's great, thanks. We nicknamed the Garden Cafe on the Jade, "The Zoo"

Availability of shows requires some thought, so book ahead. Prioritize then book to accommodate activities in port. Once you lock these down you can schedule restaurants.

Don't let activities (like water slides, the rope course, etc.) that you want to do go till the last day, stuff happens (weather, maintenance).

Breakaway is a great ship, enjoy.

The Waterfront on deck 8 is the place to chill if you are not into sunbathing. Watching the ocean go by with a drink is priceless. Spice H2O is also great during the day.

Go get a drink at Maltings from Elliot.

Zig when people zag. Study the deck plans.

Have a great cruise :)

First time cruising with a 4 & 5 year old. Do the dining rooms give the kids crayons or should we bring something to entertain them while waiting to be served?

Also, is there an area in Spice to cool off? Are lounges usually available in Spice?

(snip). A tip; if you have the dining package you can use it at the Ocean Blue raw bar and eat like a king and queen starting at 5:30 with no res. We ended up cancelling our reservations at Le Bistro and Mederno for this option instead.You can order unlimited amounts of oysters, jumbo shrimp, stone crabs,lobsters, crap legs, clams etc. Honestly my favorite part of the trip.(snip)

Very cool idea for us seafood hounds. We like the look of the Ocean Blue menu a bit better than the Raw Bar menu next door, did you try Ocean Blue? ... used to be a fixed price around $40, now it looks like a la carte. We heard that if you don't want to use up a SDP visit at a specialty restaurant they will give you a 20 % discount there b/c you have the package, do you know if that is right? What we're wondering is, what's the cost to do the unlimited apps at Ocean Blue if you have the SDP but don't use it on that visit. Thx for your other tips.