Just off the Diamond Princess in Japan- AMA!!

cowgrrl

Just curious since u took a cruise around the same time in October. Our cruise is billed as the Fall Foliage Cruise. Do u remember seeing great colors during ur 2017 cruise? (We are spending a week in Tokyo/Kyoto pre cruise; main reason for trip/cruise is to see Japan, not Fall Foliage, so if we miss the colors, still OK, but if we get lucky and see the fall colors, an added bonus.)

That time of year is way too early for colour change and it is unlikely you will see anything spectacular. I am on a similar named cruise this year and am bewildered as to why Princess gave it that name.

We were on the Diamond for 32 days last October and November. Thoroughly enjoyed the cruise and the people. One different thing that I have only seen on the Diamond. We had fixed early dining and our table was English speaking (German, American and Australian couples) and the next table was all Japanese. One of the Japanese men had a bottle of whiskey at the table every night just like we would have a bottle of wine. Not sure if he brought his own or ordered it on board.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on Circle Japan with the Diamond last November. The thing that I like the most was that the elite & suite passengers ate in a separate dining room. On other cruises the elite passengers sit in the main dining room. The difference between the two is the passenger to wait staff ratio being much higher in the elite room. Is it still the same now? I'm going to be back on the Diamond in a few months

I was on Circle Japan with the Diamond last November. The thing that I like the most was that the elite & suite passengers ate in a separate dining room. On other cruises the elite passengers sit in the main dining room. The difference between the two is the passenger to wait staff ratio being much higher in the elite room. Is it still the same now? I'm going to be back on the Diamond in a few months

Elites in separate dining room with full suites pax? Never heard of that on any Princess ship and been on most, inc Diamond. There is Club Class dining where part of MDR is closed off, but Suite pax and Club Class pax only, Elite alone does not qualify.

Elites in separate dining room with full suites pax? Never heard of that on any Princess ship and been on most, inc Diamond. There is Club Class dining where part of MDR is closed off, but Suite pax and Club Class pax only, Elite alone does not qualify.
now I'm wondering why I was in the Santa Fe dining room with Suite & Club Class. My entire table was Elite not Suite or Club Class. Didn't question it, just enjoyed Edited by Ombud

• 9 months later...

We are interested in the 16 nights cruise  (Nov 21- Dec 7)

Ports: Tokyo (Yokohama), Japan | Toba, Japan |Osaka (for Kyoto), Japan | Kochi, Japan | Kagoshima, Japan |Busan, South Korea | Nagasaki, Japan |Tokyo (Yokohama), Japan | Okinawa, Japan | Ishigaki, Japan |Taipei (Keelung) | Tokyo (Yokohama), Japan

Wondering if the weather will be too cold?

Thanks

• 7 months later...
On 7/19/2017 at 11:33 AM, cowgrrl said:

Referencing is fine. Thanks for asking.

Our cruise left from Kobe so we flew in & went straight to port. Afterwards we did stay in Tokyo for a few days. We rented an apartment and the guy we rented from has a shuttle option we took advantage of.

We really didn't do much in Yokohama except get on the bus & drive into Tokyo for a shore excursion. This was 2 cruises back to back & the second cruise round tripped from Tokyo so we picked up a lot of people there.

Hi Cowgrrl, hope you don't' mind me asking.... but we are looking for accommodation in either Tokyo or Yokahama  after a cruise. wondering if you could let me know some information about the apartment you rented in Tokyo. Please. Thanks Karen  karenk_gz@hotmail.com

On 8/7/2018 at 4:40 PM, Ombud said:

now I'm wondering why I was in the Santa Fe dining room with Suite & Club Class. My entire table was Elite not Suite or Club Class. Didn't question it, just enjoyed

Been on Diamond 3 times, two of those as Elite, just seated as usual in MDR, no specials for Elite and quite happy with that.