Cabin choice. Britannia to Fjords

Kingseat

we are considering this trip in July next year. I can get what I think is a good early saver deal on an inside cabin. From what I can see this means we are allocated a cabin nearer the time. If you been to the Fjords, do you think we'd regret having an inside cabin? From what I've researched today, the balconies on Britannia are not huge.

I can book a standard price inside cabin and chose location for the same as an early saver balcony. Decisions decisions.

Trip will include a 10 year old. Thanks for any thoughts.

We did an inside cabin on Britannia to the Fjords last year and the cabin was just fine. However we have just booked for next year and booked a balcony cabin. If it's the money then the inside is great but if the view is important then not. Last year we only used the inside cabin to sleep, shower and change as there was so much to do on board. We had an inside cabin this year on Aurora and will never have one on there again and will always go balcony. The Aurora inside cabin was small and not well lit unlike the Britannia cabin which was large, bright and welcoming.

I nearly always have an inside cabin and they are fine BUT this year we had our first balcony cabin on Britannia. It made such a difference to the holiday! They are small but I just loved sitting there and watching the sea. And there's lots of scenic cruising in Norway.

I've had an inside to Norway and my balcony was an Iberia cruise. I must say I would love a balcony next time I go to Norway as I wake much earlier than my husband so it would be great to watch the views!

As I said insides are fine but I found I stayed in my room more with the balcony!

I haven't helped really have I? [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How about considering the middle option of an outside cabin without balcony? I did this on Aurora to Norway & loved waking up very early & watching the fjord go by as the day began to get light. Once it was getting exciting, then I went up to a high deck for photography & a 360 degree view.

I'd recommend a full large window, rather than just porthole.

How about considering the middle option of an outside cabin without balcony? I did this on Aurora to Norway & loved waking up very early & watching the fjord go by as the day began to get light. Once it was getting exciting, then I went up to a high deck for photography & a 360 degree view.

The only problem with that is Britannia doesn't have any outside cabins, only insides or balconies.

There isn't a middle option on Britannia just inside or balcony apart from suites of course.

Our first cruise to the Fjords we had a balcony which was good but you only see one side of the Fjords unless you have a cabin on the back. Fortunately we were on a ship which had an indoor lounge on top deck overlooking the front. That was brilliant...you had the full panoramic view sailing along the Fjords. To be honest because of that we didn't use the balcony that much...it was much better up front. If the price differential isn't that great then go for a balcony...which in your case is more or less the same as a standard inside...preferably overlooking the wake.

We are going to the Fjords again next month but have booked an inside cabin....the price difference to a balcony was a bit eye watering.

We'd always go for a balcony - just love the chance to sit outside and watch the views. I would imagine that this is really important if you are going to the Fjords. We have had an aft cabin in the past and the balcony was large. Ok, some soot (another thread) but when it came to a good view it was brilliant. You always see where you've been though - not where you're going to ;-)

We had a balcony on Azura last year for the Fjørds and I can say it was stunning having our own personal view. Sailing into port in the morning and walking out into the balcony with those stunning vistas was breathtaking. I normally don't take balcony but I'm so glad we did because it added to the experience of the cruise. I know inside of the way to go money wise to give you more onboard but I really think it depends on the destination. Hope I was of help... The crucks of it is beautiful scenery equals balcony, sailing into industrial ports inside acceptable.

Kris ☺️

Kris 🚢😎🌴

Our first cruise to the Fjords we had a balcony which was good but you only see one side of the Fjords unless you have a cabin on the back. Fortunately we were on a ship which had an indoor lounge on top deck overlooking the front. That was brilliant...you had the full panoramic view sailing along the Fjords. To be honest because of that we didn't use the balcony that much...it was much better up front. If the price differential isn't that great then go for a balcony...which in your case is more or less the same as a standard inside...preferably overlooking the wake.

We are going to the Fjords again next month but have booked an inside cabin....the price difference to a balcony was a bit eye watering.

On our last trip to the fjords we had a balcony cabin and saw both sides because as you sail back out of the fjord you see the opposite side to going in. In 3 weeks time on Azura to the fjords we have an aft balcony which is always our preferred choice even when we are not somewhere scenic like the fjords.

We did our first P&O Cruise to Norway in May, we have done a couple of cruises and mainly go for insides but for this I wanted to see the views. If I was to go to Norway again I'd probably book a balcony again as it was so nice to be able to look out of the window or go onto the balcony at 5am in a dressing gown and watch the sail up the Fjord, was beautiful and peaceful.

Go for an inside and save your money and go up on deck and see both sides and all aspects of the Fjords. Nothing worse than sitting on a balcony on the starboard side and the best views are on port side. The only way round this is book a balcony and get up early and take in the view and then take on the other side of the view when you depart later in the day. We have just returned from Norwegian Fjords/North Cape with Princess and had an inside cabin and don't feel as if we missed anything and much prefer to be out on deck when leaving any port anyway.

I actually think that a fjords cruise is the best sort of cruise on Britannia to have a balcony cabin! As the OP says, the balconies are small, and I still think that they would be too small for some serious ray-catching, e.g. on a Med cruise. But for a fjords cruise, when you might well be standing at the rail rather than sitting, to take in the stunning views, they're ideal. We had one last year for a fjords cruise and were glad we did. And of course if it rains (not unknown in the fjords....) you won't feel too bad at not being able to make use of your postage-stamp-size balcony.

One other thing - for those long evening sail-outs, try and bag a seat with a view in the Crow's Nest. We were able to during the sail-out from Flam and it was stunning, with the wonderful view ahead.

Another point is because we went in late April/early May it was quite chilly at sailaway and we had a problem trying to find a window seat in any of the bars etc! (we would be out on deck for the first bit but then trying to get by a window was near on impossible!) Our best sail out was from Flam when we had a window seat in the Beach House - lovely to watch the views eating our dinner!

I actually think that a fjords cruise is the best sort of cruise on Britannia to have a balcony cabin! As the OP says, the balconies are small, and I still think that they would be too small for some serious ray-catching, e.g. on a Med cruise. But for a fjords cruise, when you might well be standing at the rail rather than sitting, to take in the stunning views, they're ideal. We had one last year for a fjords cruise and were glad we did. And of course if it rains (not unknown in the fjords....) you won't feel too bad at not being able to make use of your postage-stamp-size balcony.

One other thing - for those long evening sail-outs, try and bag a seat with a view in the Crow's Nest. We were able to during the sail-out from Flam and it was stunning, with the wonderful view ahead.

I agree.

For many years we had inside cabins and have done the fjords twice in them (I refused to be extravagant before the mortgage was paid [emoji23]).

If you can stretch to a balcony this is the one cruise I would make the exception for, the views are stunning, if you can afford an aft cabin you get to see both sides at once. As Tom says, the balconies aren't huge but you won't be sunbathing. It does rain quite a lot.

Everyone has their own preferences, if you do go for a balcony I think there was a thread recently discussing where the biggest ones are situated.

I loved the fjords so much I'm going back via Princess next year up to the land of the midnight sun ❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you. This is very informative. It's an extra £400 for a balcony - early saver v early saver inside. It's not insignificant but the poster above who said coffee in their dressing gown early on won it for me. I'm an early riser and I think I would love this. Thanks all once again. Just waiting on my husband coming home to confirm he's got the dates ok from work.

Thank you. This is very informative. It's an extra £400 for a balcony - early saver v early saver inside. It's not insignificant but the poster above who said coffee in their dressing gown early on won it for me. I'm an early riser and I think I would love this. Thanks all once again. Just waiting on my husband coming home to confirm he's got the dates ok from work.

We did a sail in to Kotor (very similar) and breakfast on the balcony as the scenery went by was just magical. ENJOY!