Would you support a Drink Alternative Perk?

Seafan22

I was told by on line agent booking the cruise, that it was not possible to downgrade to the soda package. I agree that you could get value with the Ultimate package if you drank the mocktails -- but I don't need the calories. I was able to switch to another perk. In my case the $50 per port shore excursion credit was more valuable to me (This was a 7 day cruise that stops in 6 ports).

Why not just choose a different perk, like the dinner package and buy the soda package? You'd have less in gratuities and that would help pay for the soda. Of course I believe soda is bad for you and you're much better off with nice wholesome booze. Just saying...;)

We have sailed on RCI in the past and have been happy with their non-alcoholic drink packages - there are two options. First option is just the soda from the tap, and the second option is all non-alcoholic drinks (exlcuding cans). The second option does include bottled water and coffees/hot chocolates. The second package is about $20 a day and a great way to break even.

I'm not paying the grats on the UBP because it doesn't cover anything I want. I want soda cans from my mini bar. I want the pelligrino water, water bottles, the specialty coffee in the morning... if I was an anomaly in this regard NCL would not be going to all the trouble they do to ban these items from being brought aboard.

Since you can afford a suite, have you considered to book MSC and their Yacht Club?

Everything in the minibar is included. If you don't want the alcohol, tell your butler and he will take it out and fill the minibar with water, soda and snacks.

• 4 weeks later...

On RCL they had an ultimate beverage pkg. it had Starbucks, smoothies, virgin drinks, fresh oj, bottled water and soda. This was great and worth the $. My hubby doesn't drink alcohol and my teens loved the venti hot chocolates, virgin smoothies, etc. disappointed that NCL isn't there yet... especially with the Bliss having a Starbucks on board.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is interesting. I had not thought about a 'perk' costing me. We don't drink, in fact no soda either. Just plain water. I would rather 'opt out' entirely and not have to pay a gratuity on a free UBP.

Use what you would have paid in gratuity on the UBP (about $200) on all the bottled water you could possibly need for the week instead (that amount would get you 4 of the 24 packs of 1-liter bottles). The UBP is not a mandatory perk, it's simply a choice. There are three others to choose from.

DH doesn't drink alcohol but the UBP gratuity paid for is still adds up to be a deal because it includes soda and Virgin drinks that he will enjoy throughout the cruise. I contemplated choosing the UBP as my perk, but once I did the math on the drinks I'd probably have throughout the trip and the soda package for DH, it was basically the cost of the gratuities for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I mean good coffee! ;-)

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forums mobile app

I've never seen good coffee on any cruise ship, same with beer.

I like Juices, these are not included in the soda package so for a 7 night sailing it make sense for me to take the UBP as a perk and pay the $99 gratuities because i'll surely drink more than the difference from the ~$65 soda package even if I never touch alcohol.

I would love I if they offered a premium non alcohol drink package like RC or X. I have actually emailed multiple times inquiring why it's not available.

I'm looking forward to my upcoming cruise on the getaway, but so far with what's offered I seem unimpressed.

whatever will bewilder me

For Europeans the gratuities price on the drinks package isn't a problem as it is included due to trade laws.Doesn't seem to affect the overall cruise price either.

On our cruise we had a muslim family on board, obviously none of them would have drank a drop.

Only if they add about five more coffee bars. It already takes a long time to get a latte or a cappuccino. If they were free the line would never end at the Atrium cafe!

Have to disagree. Have sailed on a few Celebrity ships and they have two locations. Cafe al Bacio and a satellite location in the buffet area. Even at morning rush, maybe eight people served by 2-3 baristas.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...
We have sailed on RCI in the past and have been happy with their non-alcoholic drink packages - there are two options. First option is just the soda from the tap, and the second option is all non-alcoholic drinks (exlcuding cans). The second option does include bottled water and coffees/hot chocolates. The second package is about $20 a day and a great way to break even.

I loved that my teens and I could get any Starbucks, smoothie etc. I wish Norwegian would do this package. Uugh

Sent from my iPad using Forums