Airline Seat Reservation Problems

Amtico

You didn't need to read the whole thread. If you looked at the last couple of posts before yours you would have seen the OP recap everything about their situation. It included the fact that they DID have all the booking numbers and still could not pay for a seat.

First, I have not read the whole of this thread, so apologies if someone has already said this, but the issue is that your booking has two locator codes - one with the booking company and one with the actual carrier.

Because you are on United 'metal' they control the seating, but they do not recognise the Lufthansa locator code so can't assign your seats. Lufthansa could request seats but it would be no more than a request.

You need to contact Lufthansa and ask them for your United locator code. If they say that they can't give it to you there are other ways of getting at it, but they can be a little complicated.

Once you have the united locator code, you can go onto their website and deal with the matter through their 'Manage my Booking' page (or whatever they call it)

Just to put some validity to this comment. I always prefer to book via BA in order to get Avios points and use my BA Amex card which earns me a two for one booking once a year.

BUT

Because we never quite make silver in the BA Executive Club, I potentially have to pay for my seat selection. However we get around this by flying on American who, unlike BA, in the class of travel we book, offer free seat selection.

Until couple of years ago the system was a bit untidy and one had to ask BA for the AA locator code, as I am telling you to do with Lufthansa. However that has now all changed and BA simply ask my permission before transferring me to the American Airlines site, where I can see my booking, my locator code and select my seats. Having said that, if I go into the BA site for my next booking, I can see my booking but not my seat selection, nor can I see my seats on the Amadeus booking system. However, if I go into the AA site, I can see my seat selection and can also see my seats showing as being not available on the 'Seat alert' website.

OK, my experience is not directly relevant to you, but, hopefully it does make it clear that what you need to get hold of is the United airlines locator code, which will put you in full control.

Hi there - I have both locator codes (United & Lufthansa). This does not help. Advance seat reservations cannot be made on a Lufthansa plane bearing a United flight code until 23 hours in advance - which is what we have.

Instead of a seat plan on both websites it just has the 23 hour message. I have also spoken to both airlines, saying that I will pay for seats - no joy.

Yes, you are correct! :)

Just to repeat, for others ...

The problem is the code share. If the flights had been booked directly with Lufthansa, with Lufthansa codes, you can reserve advance seats.

The flight from San Francisco to Frankfurt is a Lufthansa plane BUT I have a United flight code - this is the problem (from Lufthansa's point of view - in reality they are just being awkward!!)

Flights are paid for and ticketed. I have both airline booking codes, all the information you normally need to reserve advance seats.

Paying extra to reserve seats is not a problem - I expect to do that.

I can see there are a majority of seats already booked on the flight (through a dummy booking on Lufthansa's website) - so realise that we will probably not be seated together and stand no chance of an extra legroom seat for my DH.

I have tried all the advice given - they will not budge.

Thanks for all suggestions.

We have had flights booked direct with Lufthansa with NO code share and were unable to book seats.

It's already been said - but it bears repeating: this is a Code Share problem. It's not an EZAir problem, it's not a lack of Record Locators, it's not a too-cheap-to-pay problem.

It's a Star Alliance problem.

The itineraries are set for multiple airlines to ticket on one piece of metal.... but only the tickets issued by the Airline/owner of the airplane get any recognition.

If you can find a travel agent with a work around, please let me know what it is, because I have knocked my head on the table many times (and not just with Lufthansa.)

Maddle

Unless you buy upgraded seats to begin with you cannot change a thing. I use ezair and always buy economy plus or better so I can choose my seats. I called British air to see if I could upgrade with money to business and they won't talk to me since I used a TA Princess ezair.

Hi there - I have both locator codes (United & Lufthansa). This does not help. Advance seat reservations cannot be made on a Lufthansa plane bearing a United flight code until 23 hours in advance - which is what we have.

Instead of a seat plan on both websites it just has the 23 hour message. I have also spoken to both airlines, saying that I will pay for seats - no joy.

Sorry, you are correct. I am well aware of the problems with the asymmetric nature of the partnerships in Star Alliance (which IMHO sucks) and, in particular, Lufthansa's role in those problems, which is why I only use One World.

Unfortunately I misread your post and thought you were ticketed on Lufthansa and flying on United metal, when getting hold of the United locator would have fixed the problem.

Sadly for you, as many have already discovered, it does not work the other way round and the frequent flyer forums are full of discussions on the fact that the if you book with United on Lufthansa 'metal', getting hold of the Lufthansa locator code is of no practical use whatsoever.

Sorry, to the best of my knowledge, there is no fix to your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

actually, this doesn't sound like the problem has anything to do with a code share, but rather the fare class on the LH flight.

their cheapest netts, usually sold only through travel agencies/consolidators don't qualify for advance seat selection.

in exchange you likely got a rate lower than was available online, but unfortunately in the case of the OP, since the advance seat selection restrictions weren't communicated, obviously this wasn't worth the savings to them.

sorry, that's a tough one to find out!

although your selling agent (Princess in this case) is legally obligated to disclose all rules and restrictions of your fare before purchase. if you don't feel they provided this information, you could ask for a refund based on that and rebuy a new ticket at a fare that allows the advance seat selection.

actually, this doesn't sound like the problem has anything to do with a code share, but rather the fare class on the LH flight.

their cheapest netts, usually sold only through travel agencies/consolidators don't qualify for advance seat selection.

in exchange you likely got a rate lower than was available online, but unfortunately in the case of the OP, since the advance seat selection restrictions weren't communicated, obviously this wasn't worth the savings to them.

sorry, that's a tough one to find out!

although your selling agent (Princess in this case) is legally obligated to disclose all rules and restrictions of your fare before purchase. if you don't feel they provided this information, you could ask for a refund based on that and rebuy a new ticket at a fare that allows the advance seat selection.

Seems to me you've nailed. I was thinking the same that is just about the new low low that bottom economy cannot buy seats on some airlines (period).

As for 'with Ezair you don't pay for seats" is true here too. you can only book what's left 24 or 48 before flight. No fee involved.

Lousy.

I can no longer buy cruise line air because if the (mostly I believe) US airlines restriction. Must check out the airline itself before making a purchase

This is one I'm actually looking in to - thank you.

My TA requested that Princess actually ticket our flights early so we could reserve our seats.

Well it's worth a try! :)

Also I could reserve seats on our short first flight, which were bought as economy - Lufthansa plane/flight number. So it is the code share problem.

I've spent so much time on this. This afternoon I've been looking at alternative flight carriers for our route and found another only marginally more expensive but with a longer layover between our connecting flights, but very prepared to do that.

Yes you can reserve seats - just one Airline for all four flights.

Realistically, I don't expect to get anywhere with Princess but we'll see.

This was a move over cruise!