Alaska Cruise pick between Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm

marcyjane

Hello everyone,

I'm having a very hard time in trying to may a decision on this Alaska cruise. Maybe some of you can help, I'd like to get booked by January 1st.

Due to vacation time and air fare cost we have decided as much as round trip out of Seattle.

Ships that we have looked at are:

Princess Sun

Norwegian Star

Reason being they both leave on Sunday and we can fly in on Friday and tour Seattle on Saturday and then board the ship on Sunday and on return on the next Sunday and fly home and have Memorial Day off to rest before going by to work.

Now the next question is to pick the right route, One with Glacier Bay or one with Tracy Arm?

Just anything that anyone can tell us about the ships, cabin choice, route will be helpful.

Also one other thing, (so to have made this so long) I've read on the boards the last couple of days that the Norwegian Star will be in dry dock for repairs in March and didn't know how that would effect the bookings.

Thank you so much:)

Marcyjane

The Sun indeed is a great ship for sailing Alaska, mainly the full front unobstructed front deck. However, for me the ship takes a distant second for what is OUTSIDE the ship. And Glacier Bay is far superior in my experince. Especially in May when the Twin Sawyers are frequently iced out, Glacier Bay is a highlight. Also the routing is lacking with the round trip Seattle sailings.

I sailed the NCL Star this year and had a great time, also a very nice ship with the Freestyle dining a big plus. So either way, certainly a compromise is needed. Make the one based on your priority for Alaska travel. All things equal, also factor heavy on cost and budget fully for costly excursions, you get only half a trip without them.

Although we have not sailed NCL to Alaska, the one thing I can comment on is Tracy Arm. We sailed Princess last Memorial Day weekend to Alaska (Seattle/Seattle). Our itinerary included Tracy Arm but not Glacier Bay. We were iced out of Tracy Arm and were a little disappointed. So this year, we have booked our May cruise out of Whittier (Anchorage) to Vancouver so we can pick up Glacier Bay. We have heard more positive things about Glacier Bay than we have about Tracy Arm. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful cruise.

Our first 2 cruises (September 2003 & July 2004) to Alaska were to Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glaciers. They were wonderful cruises and we thoroughly enjoyed Tracy Arm and the Sawyer Glaciers.

In early June we cruised to Glacier Bay on the NCL Star and agree with the others that say Glacier Bay is not to be missed. We have booked the Star for another cruise to Alaska and Glacier Bay. Can't wait for May 28, 2006 to arrive!

Let me know if you have any questions about the Star!

brunolvr,

I'll take anything you want to tell me about the Star. Have sailed with Royal Caribbean and Carnival, but never with Norwegian Line.

So just start at the top and go to the bottom and let me know the in's & out's. We have about settled on a balcony cabin on the 9th deck mid ship.

I've also read about the freestyle dining and I think we will like that very much.

Marcyjane

I was on the Star in May, and I really liked the ship and the cpt did go out of his way with detailing his route. The ship has excellent front deck viewing with low clear wind screens. Ship is large but so are 90% of the rest of them sailing Alaska. Freestyle is just perfect for me in Alaska, offered me the utmost freedom with very good food choices.

I recently was on an 11 day NCL Dawn sailing which is the same ship, again, I greatly enjoyed it. However, never have I seen such vast differences in opinions, there were many many people who did nothing but complain about and bash NCL. So if you are easy to please and go with the desire to tour Alaska, NCL will offer you a great tour. :)

BudgetQueen,

You know I have found that after reading these boards from time to time and searching for info on my last couple of cruises that you will find some people that just plain didn't like the ship, service, crew etc. But, in most cases there are more who like you enjoyed there ship and vacation.

Please tell me anything you can about the Star & Alaska Ship Tours, getting around the Star, food, spa, photo center, shows just any and everything you want to share will be greatly appreicated.

Also we have about decided on a balcony cabin on the 9th deck mid ship, should we get port or starboard.

Thanks so much:)

Marcyjane

I do like NCL ships, but they are much like other newer ships around. :) Have you been on a cruise? I don't go to shows on Alaska sailings since I prefer to be up very early, but the shows on NCL are fine in my opinion based on the Dawn. I greatly like the Mexican resturant and eat there several times during the week, very good food also in the main resturants. You'll have a great time, however you get there. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for posting your thoughts about the NCL Star. We are new to cruising -- and Alaska -- and are considering a trip on the Star in June 2006. There are three of us going on vacation and all are adults.

We're looking for a comfortable, informal cruise that won't wipe out our savings accounts. We care much more about seeing/experiencing Alaska than partying or gambling. We want the ship to provide good food and a comfortable bed. Glacier Bay is a must and we prefer to do a round-trip cruise out of Seattle.

In your opinion, does it sound like the NCL Star is a good "fit" for us? I know that no one can predict this with 100% certainty. I'm just looking for opinions.

Thank you!

We're looking for a comfortable, informal cruise that won't wipe out our savings accounts. We care much more about seeing/experiencing Alaska than partying or gambling. We want the ship to provide good food and a comfortable bed. Glacier Bay is a must and we prefer to do a round-trip cruise out of Seattle.

In your opinion, does it sound like the NCL Star is a good "fit" for us? I know that no one can predict this with 100% certainty. I'm just looking for opinions.

Thank you!

With your Glacier Bay and round trip out of Seattle must, I believe it is your only available choice?? Yes I would book it- and have a great time!!!!

Thanks for your reply, Budget Queen. We are willing to consider a round-trip cruise from Vancouver, but we've never been to Seattle and would enjoy spending time in the city before our cruise. Since we don't want to get dressed up, NCL seemed like a good chioce.

Marcy - Here are some suggestions:

http://www.seattle.com/attractions/index.html

On our last trip to Seattle, we ended up at our airport hotel at 9:30 in the morning after our cruise (In Seattle, you can just walk off the ship if you can handle your own luggage). They let us check in early, and we took a Seattle tour that left from our hotel. I can't remember the name, but the brochure was in the hotel lobby. It was a very nice tour, and they stopped at the Market for lunch, the fish ladder, Queen Ann Hill, etc. I thought it was a nice way to spend the day. Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, TMC, Holland America's Zaandam does do Glacier Bay from Seattle. We are doing that itinerary this summer. Also, Holland America's Westerdam, originally scheduled to do Hubbard Glacier RT from Seattle, is now going to be doing Glacier Bay instead, according to our travel agent.

Here, for example, is the Johns Hopkins Glacier in Glacier Bay. Unfortunately you can get no closer because the area serves as a protected habitat for harbor seals.

47b5d737b3127cce944922eb66d000000026108QaM2zlo4cC

However, you do get right up next to Marjorie Glacier, which has a reputation for being incredibly active. We witnessed quite a bit of calving when we cruised by it last summer. Glacier Bay was an awesome and beautiful experience. HAL seems to have the most ships going through Glacier Bay. And they do it well.

Archived