Guarantee cabin - anyone not been assigned?

jimbug

Must have been a Neptune suite on HAL.
Sounds right. Cat. F is an ocean view cabin on HAL ships. Princess categories have two characters--the first one distinguishing what type of cabin (I=inside, O=ocean view, B=balcony, M=mini suite, or S=suite) and the second one (either a letter or a number) telling where Princess considers it to be ranked compared to other cabins of that type.

• 1 month later...
I book BF guarantee cabins all the time. I have always received my cabin assignment within a few days of the cruise.

I have never received a move over offer and have completed 14 cruises on Princess.

Same here. What I can't understand is why you aren't given your cabin number, when the entire category has been sold out for weeks. If there are no balconies on the Princess website available for purchase, why not just assign them?

60 days until the cruise, so final payment isn't an issue.

Same here. What I can't understand is why you aren't given your cabin number, when the entire category has been sold out for weeks. If there are no balconies on the Princess website available for purchase, why not just assign them?

60 days until the cruise, so final payment isn't an issue.

Princess typically oversells categories. They have computer algorithms that tell them what number of passengers in each category can be expected to cancel their cruise, and they will place these overbooked passengers into whatever cabins open. That's why they don't assign gty cabins right away--they are waiting for cabins to open!

Princess typically oversells categories. They have computer algorithms that tell them what number of passengers in each category can be expected to cancel their cruise' date=' and they will place these overbooked passengers into whatever cabins open. That's why they don't assign gty cabins right away--they are waiting for cabins to open![/quote']

Interesting. At least there are 13 mini's open right now, Guess we'll see.

Thanks

Never . heard of this. Have read of a couple of pax finding out at check in. We've done this about 5 times and have been assigned weeks in advance.

They are not changed/assigned at check in.

Most passengers don't check their booking the night before or the day of sailing before arriving at the port.

If they had 99% would have seen the assignment/change.

They are not changed/assigned at check in.

Most passengers don't check their booking the night before or the day of sailing before arriving at the port.

If they had 99% would have seen the assignment/change.

We had one instance where we found our assignment on Saturday morning when we arrived at the terminal. I know it wasn't there at 4pm on Friday--I'd been concerned enough that I phoned the TA. I knew we'd have a cabin, but was worried about not seeing anything on line. As of check in on Saturday, all was fine.

No one will arrive at the port and not have a cabin on the ship--that's why Princess gives move over and move down offers when their other figuring doesn't work out right!

We had one instance where we found our assignment on Saturday morning when we arrived at the terminal. I know it wasn't there at 4pm on Friday--I'd been concerned enough that I phoned the TA. I knew we'd have a cabin' date=' but was worried about not seeing anything on line. As of check in on Saturday, all was fine.

No one will arrive at the port and not have a cabin on the ship--that's why Princess gives move over and move down offers when their other figuring doesn't work out right![/quote']

That would be nerve wracking.......:o

I think the point I try to make about this is that the check in reps at the terminal don't have the ability to assign/change/upgrade passengers. They are contracted employees.

There was a comment I read on a thread that a Princess CS rep upgraded them as they checked in.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I think the point I try to make about this is that the check in reps at the terminal don't have the ability to assign/change/upgrade passengers. They are contracted employees.

There was a comment I read on a thread that a Princess CS rep upgraded them as they checked in.

I totally agree that the check in clerks have no authority--unlike on some other cruise lines. No one will get an upgrade on Princess at the check in desks. They may learn about it at the desk, but it would have been assigned in advance.

We had one instance where we found our assignment on Saturday morning when we arrived at the terminal. I know it wasn't there at 4pm on Friday

The entire cabin assignment "can" be in flux up until first pax check in. Though it rarely happens' date=' pax are unaware since all they know embarkation delayed for some reason.[/b']

Why? Say you would like a BC balcony cabin. You book BC guarantee at a slightly lower rate. Should you get bumped to BB great, but if you get the BC that is what you booked. You don't book guarantee relying on the upgrade.

I sailed on the Regal 2 weeks ago. Booked the cruise in August with a balcony category BF guarantee. I did not receive a stateroom assignment until about 7 days before the cruise, and was upgraded to a deluxe balcony category DE. I have to admit that I was anxiously checking the cruise personalized frequently until I received my assignment. It worked out well in the end.

Why? Say you would like a BC balcony cabin. You book BC guarantee at a slightly lower rate. Should you get bumped to BB great, but if you get the BC that is what you booked. You don't book guarantee relying on the upgrade.

Referring to finding out about cabin assignment at check in.....please read. :rolleyes:

Interesting. We are just under 11 weeks to our cruise on the Regal Princess. Still holding a gty inside so guess I still have a little wait to go before we find out where we will be sleeping!!

I would have thought that once the final payment date had been reached and past, Princess would be able to tell people which cabin they had been assigned? Clearly it's not as obvious as that.

I would have thought that once the final payment date had been reached and past, Princess would be able to tell people which cabin they had been assigned? Clearly it's not as obvious as that.

Your assignment will come after Princess has

a) made any upsells which thus change what cabins are available

b) find out which cabins become available due to cancellations after final payment

c) predict how many and which type unsold cabins can still be sold before the cruise

d) make any needed "move over" of "move down" offers to make a cabin available for you if the category you booked (or could be assigned) is 100% booked.