Upgrade question

Matushka

My husband and I are going on our first cruise ever - the 14 day Alaska Explorer on the Amsterdam, leaving August 28th. We had booked a large ocean view room, a triple for some extra space (hopefully). We just got an upgrade offer today that would allow us to upgrade to a Vista suite. We are debating on what to do. Our original room cost plus the upgrade is quite a bit lower from the current Vista prices.

How important is a balcony on an Alaskan cruise? I have read reviews that it is a must have while I have had others tell me that you don't use it as much as you would on other cruises because the weather isn't as nice.

Is there a possibility that we receive another upgrade offer if we don't use this one at an even better bargain?

Thank you.

Denise

My husband and I are going on our first cruise ever - the 14 day Alaska Explorer on the Amsterdam, leaving August 28th. We had booked a large ocean view room, a triple for some extra space (hopefully). We just got an upgrade offer today that would allow us to upgrade to a Vista suite. We are debating on what to do. Our original room cost plus the upgrade is quite a bit lower from the current Vista prices.

How important is a balcony on an Alaskan cruise? I have read reviews that it is a must have while I have had others tell me that you don't use it as much as you would on other cruises because the weather isn't as nice.

Is there a possibility that we receive another upgrade offer if we don't use this one at an even better bargain?

Thank you.

Denise

Is this an upgrade at no cost, which I doubt, or an "upsell" at a price? In my opinion for an Alaska cruise a balcony is a big plus! If it's an upsell how much is it? Look at the difference between the two on HAL's site and if the offer is much less you may want to consider the offer. Even in Alaska we spend a lot of time on our balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take it. There is no comparison between an Oceanview and a balcony. A balcony is superior. We had an ocean view on our first cruse, always at least a balcony ever since. If we cant get a balcony we don't go. Even in Alaska we love our balcony.

Did this cruise last year on Maasdam in an oceanview. While I'm sure it's lovely to sit out on your own balcony, we were just fine without one. We were out on deck a lot (the weather was amazing in early june). There's also the crow's nest and the library and a couple of other bars/sitting areas from which to gaze out the windows from the interior. If you want a balcony and the additional price is right for you, go for it, it'll buy you a bit of privacy if that suits you, but you likely won't suffer without one either.

We have cruised to Alaska several times - in an inside, oceanview and a veranda. We have enjoyed the cruise every time regardless of the type of cabin.

The weather in Alaska is variable. We just returned from our cruise and probably had the best weather we've ever had there. Before we left rain was predicted every day, but we only experienced a small amount of rain before heading into Hubbard glacier. By the time we got to the glacier, everything had cleared nicely.

We were booked into an inside guarantee this last cruise. We took an up sell on the third set of offers to a veranda when the price was right for us. The nice thing about taking an upsell if you have a guarantee is that you can pick your cabin from those available on the offer.

Balconies on the [Amsterdam[/i] are on Deck 6, which mean you are between the public spaces on Decks 4 and 5 and on Decks 8 and 9. You'll have fewer stairs to climb (or less incentive to wait for the elevators). :)

We are in the group that considers a balcony nice but not essential in AK. On one AK cruise in mid Sept a friend had a balcony cabin and she did not use it 2 hours total for the entire week because of the weather, but in late Aug the odds of good weather should be better.

You may get another, better upgrade offer but the odds are slim.

On the S & R class ships (Amsterdam is R) we book a Lower Prom cabin near one of the outside doors to have quick access when desired. We have not yet tried a Lanai (and the Amsterdam does not yet have them anyway) but think they would be great in AK.

Have done Alaska 7-day NB with three adults in an inside! My mom and I staked out our favorite viewing places and my husband napped and read! Last year we did 7-day roundtrip Vancouver and took 6 members of my family -- like Carol we booked OceanViews on the Lower Promenade. Many of the group spent significant amounts of time outdoors IN JUNE, on the promenade or on the upper deck. I mention that to show that, with common sense wardrobe preparation, outside is not forbidding.

We are taking the 14-day Explorer next year, also on the Lower Promenade.

However, the Lower Promenade is not an option for you, so we shouldn't be dangling it in your face! But what I can point out is, on this class of ship (unless you are in 6100 or 6102) -- oceanviews with the bed made up as a queen-king, are good for daylight, not so much for watching the views. Balcony rooms have the bed away from the door which, even if you don't go out on the balcony, is a very big accessible window!

We did take an upsell from OV to verandah for our 3-adult cruise around Cape Horn (the Alaska of the South!) on the Zaandam (same class as Amsterdam), and it was lovely! Roomy, very well laid out, with the sofa near the window-door and LOTS of storage -- a bank of drawers per person and all kinds of closet space.

I don't know what your offer is, but based on your choices -- I would take the upsell. As long as you will still have the money to go whale watching (recommend Juneau for that)!

Keep in mind that you have a lot of daylight in AK, giving you lots of evening time to grab a blanket and sit on the balcony, watching wildlife go by. Also, unlike many Caribbean cruises, rather than water, there is often actually interesting and beautiful scenery going by in the inside passage. I've cruised with and without a balcony, but for AK, it sure was nice to have.

We had a cabin with a balcony on one of our three cruises to Alaska. It was nice, especially for glacier viewing since we were at the bow of the ship. But we had good cruises the two times we were in obstructed view cabins. There are plenty of places around the ship to watch scenery and wildlife.

We had booked a large ocean view room, a triple for some extra space (hopefully). We just got an upgrade offer today that would allow us to upgrade to a Vista suite.

Denise

Booking a "triple" room doesn't necessarily afford extra space, it just means there will be a 3rd bed available - whether it's a pull-down from the ceiling, or a fold-out couch.

Also, if you haven't taken advantage of the offer by now, I'm pretty sure it's gone - they send them out to a number of people and it's first come, first served. Let us know!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I ended up doing the upgrade. We got a Vista suite midship. I think I am even more excited about this cruise now.

Denise

Good for you :). Glad you got it. Hope you enjoy your cruise and your balcony :)

I ended up doing the upgrade. We got a Vista suite midship. I think I am even more excited about this cruise now.

Ooh, very nice! You are going to LOVE your cruise!

You're making me wish I had one (balcony) too, but we have five linked bookings so no upgrades in my future.