Rcl's non-refundable cruise pricing and policy

wolfmtn

RCL pricing is now 2 tiered. You get the ad price and then are informed that requires a 'non-refundable' deposit, you are then offered a much higher refundable price. This is sort of like the pricing we encounter on car rental sites.

RCL allows the 'non-refundable' deposit to be rolled over to a future cruise with one big 'but'. . . RCL charges $100 pp if you cancel. I've heard Suite occupants applaude the policy because apparently Suites being limited in number get gobbled up by some who dont intend to use them. OK . . . but the rest of on the lower decks we are being milked. $100pp can easily be 10% of the cruise price.

What it means to me is that I will delay booking till the last minute booking on RCL, consider alternative cruise lines with more flexible (and honest) pricing and be less likely to respond to RCL 'sale' pitches because they do not represent the actual cost of the cruise.

Lastly, lets remember that the average age of cruisers isnt getting any younger and many of us are therefore more vulnerable to health issues impacting our trips. And, I just priced priced a TA balcony, the difference between the lowest advertised price (non-refundable ) and the refundable was pushing $300 per couple.

A cruise isnt a car rental folks.

I'm wondering if travel insurance covers the "non-refundable" deposit..... My guess is that it does.

The stuff RCL sells? Boy, wouldn't that be a win-win for RCL LOL. The policy encourages the sale of their secondary product.

RCL pricing is now 2 tiered. You get the ad price and then are informed that requires a 'non-refundable' deposit, you are then offered a much higher refundable price. This is sort of like the pricing we encounter on car rental sites.

RCL allows the 'non-refundable' deposit to be rolled over to a future cruise with one big 'but'. . . RCL charges $100 pp if you cancel. I've heard Suite occupants applaude the policy because apparently Suites being limited in number get gobbled up by some who dont intend to use them. OK . . . but the rest of on the lower decks we are being milked. $100pp can easily be 10% of the cruise price.

What it means to me is that I will delay booking till the last minute booking on RCL, consider alternative cruise lines with more flexible (and honest) pricing and be less likely to respond to RCL 'sale' pitches because they do not represent the actual cost of the cruise.

Lastly, lets remember that the average age of cruisers isnt getting any younger and many of us are therefore more vulnerable to health issues impacting our trips. And, I just priced priced a TA balcony, the difference between the lowest advertised price (non-refundable ) and the refundable was pushing $300 per couple.

Also with nonrefundable deposit , if you book at least 6 months out there is obc ,. depending on cabin booked.

Edited by coops
messed up

Carnival has that kind of option for years. HAL just started it, and the non refundable is the default price. If you want the refundable price, you have to call. Princess has it on some of their sales, and there is NO option.

A cruise isnt a car rental folks.

Like it or not I'd bet new pricing is here to stay. Also age of average cruiser is getting younger and has been last 40 yrs, You should have sailed in the 1980's, no kids or kids program on board and I bet there was only 50 out of 2000 of us passengers under age 40. Back then cruisers were called Newlywed's and nearly Dead's ...

The problem with the car-rental analogy, or even hotel rooms, is that this is a much larger price tag than those items.

I won't be doing business with a $100 cancel fee. I already make sure to be aware of the "paid in full" dates and I buy trip insurance. That's enough burden on me as a consumer.

This is the same as car, hotel rooms, and air fares. Get a lower price, but with penalties for cancelling, or higher price without penalties.

As fro cruises being more expensive than hotels or airfare, as I mentioned in the other thread with the exact same post as started this thread, that depends on where and when you go.

We have a trip planned for Hawaii over the Xmas/New Years time frame. Airfare alone is more than a cruise with balcony room, maybe even a Jr Suite. Hotel is in the same price range. So those two parts alone are equal to two cruises.

And no free food. And need a rental car, and then you have to pay the hotel more to PARK the rental car.

In the other thread, it was mentioned that the savings was about $300 on the cruise. So how many times do you cancel? If you do it once, you are still $200 ahead. Do it 3 times, and you are even.

If you need the flexibility due to job or family, then book the refundable fares.

BTW, some airlines in the world have gone to NO fully refundable fares. You book, you have to pay fully within 24 hours to hold your booking and price, and if you cancel or change, the fee can be more than the ticket cost. And yes, I have personally had this happen. Luckily it was for work, so work paid the costs. But we missed a flight due to various reasons, and the change fee was over $300, on a ticket that cost about $150.

I'm wondering if travel insurance covers the "non-refundable" deposit..... My guess is that it does.

I would not be so sure of that. I'd get it in writing from the underwriter first. I can easily see where you could, not necessarily would, but could lose the NRD.

Yeah... I opted for the non-refundable deposit and "guaranteed stateroom" and some how my $2,000 cruise ended up being $2,700 and it took a lot of persistence and 5 hours on the phone and 3 talks with the resolutions department to get them to honor my original price that was advertised.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I would not be so sure of that. I'd get it in writing from the underwriter first. I can easily see where you could, not necessarily would, but could lose the NRD.

I'm not sure that's why I said "my guess". Trip insurance purchased from other than the cruise line will cover nonrefundable deposits. Our friends had to cancel their cruise one day prior due to illness. They got every dime back for the cruise, hotel & flight!