Tipping on Shore excursions Epic in Europe

soxfanattic

I tried to tip a euro or 2 on a sangria bill (30e total bill perhaps for the table ) and my niece was adamant that I should not do it and would snickered at. My niece lives in Barcelona so I trust her advice and didn't tip

She stressed if the bill were say 5.8E that the most I should ever pay would be 6E but even then the waiter would still expect to bring me change

For those that say the waiter in Spain or wherever was oh do grateful well I have to think it was because he knew you were from a tipping culture anyway so he played up to it

My Barcelona sources tell me a tipper gets laughed at once they leave.

Btw I had zero guilt in not tipping in Italy or Spain however I believe I got bad advice about Paris and tipping and did indeed leave a tip whereas I shouldn't have

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's what I heard. They think you are a stupid American. So I don't tip in euro

That's what I heard. They think you are a stupid American. So I don't tip in euro

Well I no longer tip in Italian or Spanish restaurants but what else would a "stupid American" tip in?

Dollars?

I wondering why you specifically said don't tip in euro? Krona perhaps? Pounds? Lol well that's not happening.

I tried to tip a euro or 2 on a sangria bill (30e total bill perhaps for the table ) and my niece was adamant that I should not do it and would snickered at. My niece lives in Barcelona so I trust her advice and didn't tip

She stressed if the bill were say 5.8E that the most I should ever pay would be 6E but even then the waiter would still expect to bring me change

For those that say the waiter in Spain or wherever was oh do grateful well I have to think it was because he knew you were from a tipping culture anyway so he played up to it

My Barcelona sources tell me a tipper gets laughed at once they leave.

Btw I had zero guilt in not tipping in Italy or Spain however I believe I got bad advice about Paris and tipping and did indeed leave a tip whereas I shouldn't have

I hate to disagree with your niece but I have lived in Spain for over 15 years albeit not in Barcelona and the Spanish customers tip the same as me: if you are just having a drink you round the bill up to the nearest Euro if you are having a meal you tip approx 1€ per person.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I live in the UK and have never tipped on a tour in Europe. I'm sure some people do but its just not really expected. Perhaps I would on a private custom tour if it was really good, but not on a group one. The guide has never looked like they expected it either, and I never saw other group participants tipping. This goes for tours I've taken from a cruise and also ones I've taken on land based trips.

I think actually the one time I tried to tip a guide (in Turkey) I was told he wasn't allowed to accept it! He worked for a holiday company and I guess they had a policy on it.

Before I get flamed, it's just not really something we do here, unless you really want to (as per the other answer from someone in the UK). When I'm in the US I will ensure to follow your customs and tip appropriately.

I guess that it could be that those tour guides are just SO happy to have met us all for the day.....and that is why they are waiting patiently to see you off and shake your hand....but I still believe that they are there for the tips...which I feel are deserved.

I imagine that they do realize that not all people and cultures tip the same....but are banking on those that do!

For the record, for a day long tour, we tip between $20 - $30 per person and half of that to the driver. As I am always grateful for the knowledge of our tour guides....but even more grateful to return from some of those precarious roads on a bus in one piece! So do value the drivers and their expertise as well.

I have NEVER witnessed anyone getting off of the buses/vans who have NOT tipped being treated any differently than those of us that do however....so if your habit is to NOT tip....it should not be a problem. I just would not ever feel comfortable......but we are all different and that is probably a lesson in itself!

We (we are Scots) tip here at home in the UK, Europe, USA - well - anywhere we go for that matter.

We have always tipped in Spain, France, Greece, Turkey, etc.

Its a lot of rubbish that its "not the done thing".

Course it is! Good service & hospitality deserves a thank you in any walk of life in my book.

Share the love folks - :hearteyes:

I guess that it could be that those tour guides are just SO happy to have met us all for the day.....and that is why they are waiting patiently to see you off and shake your hand....but I still believe that they are there for the tips...which I feel are deserved.

I imagine that they do realize that not all people and cultures tip the same....but are banking on those that do!

I'm sure they do love the Americans because they know they will get tips lol!

I just treat Europe as I would at home- I tip around 10% at dinner if the service is good but not for anything else.

I hate to disagree with your niece but I have lived in Spain for over 15 years albeit not in Barcelona and the Spanish customers tip the same as me: if you are just having a drink you round the bill up to the nearest Euro if you are having a meal you tip approx 1€ per person.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I think you should re read the 2nd paragraph of my post that you quoted regarding tipping for drinks

We (we are Scots) tip here at home in the UK, Europe, USA - well - anywhere we go for that matter.

Course it is! Good service & hospitality deserves a thank you in any walk of life in my book.

Exactly [emoji4] That is what me and my family do and we are a mixture of English and Scottish [emoji4]

When I lived in the UK, I was told not to tip. So I didn't.

Wait....I thought tipping wasn't a thing in Europe...

That's what some locals told me.

If you're talking about the NCL daily service charge, tipping is not a thing in Europe. If you're an American visiting Europe they have numerous tipping guides for you. Seems it depends whose pocket the tip is coming from.

I am thankful for all the reply's. It doesn't look like there is agreement on this subject. There are 4 of us on the tours and I am going to tip 40 euro's total for each tour. Thanks again for all the input.

I think that's reasonable. We used a private tour service and booked a small group like that, with 8 people. We just had a driver taking us to Florence and Pisa, and we tipped him 10 per couple. In Rome, we had a driver who was exceptional and very informative, and we tipped him 20 per couple, and had a separate Vatican guide who was absolutely wonderful, and we tipped her 10 euro per couple. For the Amalfi Coast / Pompeii we had a driver who was as good as the driver in Rome, and a separate guide for Pompeii who we tipped the same way.

Maybe it depends where in the UK you live. Londoners are probably more likely to tip. I'm from Yorkshire, and if someone suggested tipping a taxi driver or barman there you'd be laughed out of town.

I think its a generation thing.

I own a busy tourism facility with Bistro - and the majority of our visitors are from Yorks, Lancs and the North East. (we as the owners don't take tips)

Pleased to report in today's modern society tipping is becoming the norm.

Our team are paid well above minimum wage - They love their tips and can assure you - I don't know any hospitality industry who doesn't encourage tips/service charge

We go way above nowadays - cooking & providing service for numerous conditions and allergies, as well as additional tourist information, cleaning/servicing the loos :eek: oh yeah - our team deserve every penny. They love their tips and many put them into a separate savings account.

Its just being plain mean not to tip in any service industry!

Fortunately I think the millennials are by far more generous than their forefathers.

On another note - The best tippers we personally get are the Irish (North & South) , the Geordies, Liverpudlians and west Coast Scots. They all like a craic and no matter their age - always leave something in the pot :)

I think its a generation thing.

I own a busy tourism facility with Bistro - and the majority of our visitors are from Yorks, Lancs and the North East. (we as the owners don't take tips)

Pleased to report in today's modern society tipping is becoming the norm.

Our team are paid well above minimum wage - They love their tips and can assure you - I don't know any hospitality industry who doesn't encourage tips/service charge

We go way above nowadays - cooking & providing service for numerous conditions and allergies, as well as additional tourist information, cleaning/servicing the loos :eek: oh yeah - our team deserve every penny. They love their tips and many put them into a separate savings account.

Its just being plain mean not to tip in any service industry!

Fortunately I think the millennials are by far more generous than their forefathers.

On another note - The best tippers we personally get are the Irish (North & South) , the Geordies, Liverpudlians and west Coast Scots. They all like a craic and no matter their age - always leave something in the pot :)

Oh don't get me wrong, I do usually tip in restaurants! Unless it's more of a counter service cafe type thing. I was more referring to the tipping on tours that the OP asked about. If I had paid say £50 for a place on a group tour then I wouldn't tip on top of that. Would you?

Oh don't get me wrong, I do usually tip in restaurants! Unless it's more of a counter service cafe type thing. I was more referring to the tipping on tours that the OP asked about. If I had paid say £50 for a place on a group tour then I wouldn't tip on top of that. Would you?

Probably yes - But no matter where I was only if the tour guide was good and the driver drove safely. I wont tip coach drivers who drive like maniacs for sure.

We have only once been refused a tip - and actually it was an NCL representative who met us off our flight in Miami. He was absolutely awesome - He waited on us (only ones arriving) - helped us with luggage, took us to wait for the hotel mini bus - and when we offered him a tip he categorically would not take it - he was such a sweetheart - hope he is well looked after as he was a diamond.

And meant to add - we always tip taxi drivers in Europe - always.

You have miserable friends ;p
Now, here is where I am totally confused. I've read many posts on here from posters in the UK and other European cities that say they won't pay the DSC, because they don't tip where they live, but when someone asks about tipping in their countries, they tell them to tip. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Now, here is where I am totally confused. I've read many posts on here from posters in the UK and other European cities that say they won't pay the DSC, because they don't tip where they live, but when someone asks about tipping in their countries, they tell them to tip. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I've noticed that too. I think it depends on who's pocket the tip is coming out of. I even pointed out the "official" London visitor's guide that had a long list of how you should tip taxis, pubs, and other service venues and was told London was a different "culture". I don't buy the "cultural" thing. People booking in the UK now have to pay for "all inclusive" instead of the more affordable a la carte method we use. I would much rather have the ability to express my displeasure at a specific instance of poor service by removing the service charge. But they prefer simplicity of pricing over control and cost, and that's their choice.

I will be honest and tell you I was downright embarrassed on the Norwegian Jade 2016 TA cruise at the amount of British who were blatantly whining and going on about removing tips. Lots of idle chit chat over "are you removing your tips blah blah"..

It was appalling. I cringed on more than one occasion I can tell you :o

Well - they cant whine now - With "Premium All Inclusive" the price has hiked up to include grats and I assume one cannot now go to guest services and remove the tips as their invoice wont break it down.

As I say - from my personal experience I think its a generation thing. I think younger people coming up now are more used to tipping.

JMHO of course and no offence intended to anyone. I am sure there are fair and generous people in all walks of life and of all ages.

I will be honest and tell you I was downright embarrassed on the Norwegian Jade 2016 TA cruise at the amount of British who were blatantly whining and going on about removing tips. Lots of idle chit chat over "are you removing your tips blah blah"..

It was appalling. I cringed on more than one occasion I can tell you :o

Well - they cant whine now - With "Premium All Inclusive" the price has hiked up to include grats and I assume one cannot now go to guest services and remove the tips as their invoice wont break it down.

As I say - from my personal experience I think its a generation thing. I think younger people coming up now are more used to tipping.

JMHO of course and no offence intended to anyone. I am sure there are fair and generous people in all walks of life and of all ages.

You are correct, they have to pay it now, but what they have done by saying on here that they don't tip back home, is to tell folks like me not to tip in their home country - I guess what is good for the goose, is good for the gander, because it looks like they want us to tip in their home country but don't tip in ours.

It's just a very different set up in the UK, we do tip in restaurants, bars, taxis etc but it's more about how the service was as apposed to it being a standard amount for everyone- it's also important to note that in the UK we have a very decent minimum wage so tips do tend to be regarded as an 'added bonus' to service staff, also there are restaurant chains in the U.K. That actually don't pass on tips to servers if it's added via credit card machine and not paid in cash! (This is legal by the way!) although when myself and husband travel to the USA we are aware of the tipping culture and make sure we tip accordingly- like you say, when in Rome!...