Hurricane irma....ugh

If carnival doesn't cancel my vista cruise out of Miami sat at 1 o'clock it will have been my very last Carnival booking at about 10 I've had so far. We plan on retiring in eight years and we're going to cruise nearly full-time there after so it will definitely be a big loss for them. They had an opportunity to lead and what they have done is created chaos. We have friends in Florida now and others flying in today that somehow think they're going to be on a cruise ship instead they're putting themselves at severe risk because of carnivals poor leadership and greed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The problem is that all the other affordable mass-market cruise lines (and to be fair, most affordable mass-market service providers of all types) operate the same way. Last week, it was Royal Caribbean who announced their cancellation later than Carnival. Our choice is between accepting these business practices or deciding not to cruise at all.

Are they adamant that they aren't cancelling the cruise, or are they adamant that they haven't cancelled the cruise. I wouldn't trust the word of any Carnival employee who is guaranteeing days in advance that a cruise absolutely positively will not be cancelled - even in perfect weather, much less in a situation like this. Anything could happen: The ship could have an engine fire and lose power, having nothing to do with the storm. We've seen that happen recently.

I agree. Due to hurricane Sandy, our 2012 Pride cruise was cancelled AFTER we were on the ship. Carnival was going to sail, but the coast guard closed the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Update on American Airlines flights (from the Sun-Sentinel newspaper):

Updated 4:45 a.m., Thursday.
has announced that because of Hurricane Irma, it will stop operations at the airports in Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Miami and Fort Myers on Friday afternoon. Flights that were scheduled to arrive in Miami Friday from Europe and South America have also been canceled. The last departure from Miami’s airport will be Flight 2213 scheduled to leave 3:39 p.m. for Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas.Additionally, in Orlando, American Airlines will wind down operations Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m. and all flights will be canceled Sunday. The airline will continue to evaluate operations at other Florida airports, including Sarasota and Tampa, and will make adjustments as necessary.

I can not wait for this mess to be over. Still holding on to the last glimmer of hope for Saturday out of Port Canaveral. Our ship departed early to make sure it got to port, we just have no word on if sailing saturday is possible. Its really not fun dealing with that stress on top of a hysterical bride that has no control on whether her wedding is going to happen as planned.

Just wondering, still awaiting news about Pride on Sunday but if we end up not going to Grand Turk, Half Moon and Freeport, do you think the odds would be us going to be Bermuda instead?

While I'm no expert, I can almost 100% guarantee you will NOT be going to Grand Turk. About 80% sure you won't be able to go to Half Moon Cay.

A Bermuda trip is possible, but I know Bermuda only accepts so many cruise ships. A Canadian cruise is possible

While I'm no expert, I can almost 100% guarantee you will NOT be going to Grand Turk. About 80% sure you won't be able to go to Half Moon Cay.

A Bermuda trip is possible, but I know Bermuda only accepts so many cruise ships. A Canadian cruise is possible

Stupid question. I've never traveled but we don't have passports, is that going to be a problem?

My first cruise, Carnival Liberty to depart Port Canaveral on 9/10, all excursions paid. I got an email last night saying I will be refunded within 5-7 business days for the excursions. I'm assuming the cruise will be cancelled or they plan on cruising in circles?? Not to mention Southwest won't give refunds unless the flights are cancelled. Lesson learned on trying to enjoy a nice Bahamas cruise for my birthday.

Just had 2 calls back-to-back. The first was a recording from Carnival stating that they're following the storm closely, but no decision has been made yet, so please keep checking their website * sign up for text alerts (I have). The next was from the Cocoa Beach hotel we planned to stay in Friday evening prior to our cruise on the Magic Saturday informing us that due to evacuation orders, they have to cancel our reservation! I think this is my last rodeo with Carnival.

I received an email last night saying Conquest was cancelled because the ship can't get back to port on Saturday . I think they are trying to salvage as much as they can of these cruises by shortening the 7 days to 5 days .....

However for those of us waiting. We need to cancel or change hotel and air reservations ! Why isn't Carnival informing everyone ?

Begin forwarded message:

"Desimone, Marilisa

Subject:
URGENT: Carnival Conquest Seminar At Sea Saturday Sept 9, 2017

Date:
September 6, 2017 at 7:58:40 PM ADT

To:
"Desimone, Marilisa (CCL)"

Good Evening Everyone,

Please note we are cancelling the Conquest sailing for Sept 9th as the ship will not be able to return to Port Of Everglades for this Saturday due to Hurricane Irma, therefore, I’m sad to announce we have to cancel our seminar at sea.

The safety of our guests and crew is priority for us and therefore, and I hope you understand. We will issue a full refund to you in the next week or two.

Thank you for your understanding and I hope to see you onboard soon in the near future.

Have a fabulous evening and stay safe!

Warm Regards,

Marilisa De Simone

Marilisa De Simone -

Carnival Cruise Lines | Business Development Director, Ontario

Edited by Charleyann

So just to keep a running tally - my flight was cancelled by the airlines & my hotel was cancelled by the hotel...so umm what miracle does Carnival thing they are about to perform to keep this sailing going?
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, my guess is that the miracle you are referring to is delaying embarkation until Monday.

Having said that, passengers are responsible for getting to and from the port, and the cruise lines have rarely if ever seemed to factor that into their decisions, since it is explicitly stated to be a passenger responsibility. So as long as the COTP is good with the embarkation taking place, and the governor hasn't enacted a ban on non-essential travel, and any number of passengers who live locally can Uber from home to the port to take the cruise, then that may matter more than anything else.

I received an email last night saying Conquest was cancelled because the ship can't get back to port on Saturday . I think thye are trying to salvage as much as they can of these cruises by shortening the 7 days to 5 days .....

However for us waiting. We need to cancel or change hotel and air reservations !

Is it supposed to hit Florida Monday?

My first cruise, Carnival Liberty to depart Port Canaveral on 9/10, all excursions paid. I got an email last night saying I will be refunded within 5-7 business days for the excursions. I'm assuming the cruise will be cancelled or they plan on cruising in circles?? Not to mention Southwest won't give refunds unless the flights are cancelled. Lesson learned on trying to enjoy a nice Bahamas cruise for my birthday.

Please don't let this situation ruin your thoughts towards cruising. Taking a cruise is a wonderful vacation, sometimes you get lucky with the weather, other times you don't. We went in May on the Vista and stopped in Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. Jamaica had the worst weather of any port I have ever stopped in. It was in the mid to upper 60's and pouring rain with wind. It had been that way for days, but we made the best of it. We were going to do the Dunn's River Falls and Dolphin Encounter so we were going to get wet anyways. So we went out with our boys, got soaked and got into the water with the dolphins. They cancelled Dunn's, but we still got to go and get some pictures in front of the river. We were freezing, but we didn't let our attitudes spoil our good time. It ended up being pretty memorable even if our boys were shaking from the conditions! :D

After we left they had major flooding from what I heard due to the amount of rain.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, my guess is that the miracle you are referring to is delaying embarkation until Monday.

Having said that, passengers are responsible for getting to and from the port, and the cruise lines have rarely if ever seemed to factor that into their decisions, since it is explicitly stated to be a passenger responsibility. So as long as the COTP is good with the embarkation taking place, and the governor hasn't enacted a ban on non-essential travel, and any number of passengers who live locally can Uber from home to the port to take the cruise, then that may matter more than anything else.

I believe all flights are delayed until Tuesday.

So as long as the COTP is good with the embarkation taking place, and the governor hasn't enacted a ban on non-essential travel, and any number of passengers who live locally can Uber from home to the port to take the cruise, then that may matter more than anything else.

I believe all flights are delayed until Tuesday.
I don't understand your response to what I posted. :-?

Keep in mind that many people cruising this time of year are Floridians or live within the surrounding states that are within driving distance of any port. That being said I think they will try to do a shortened cruise. I am almost at Diamond and I have never had a 7 day cruise canceled....just shortened. We actually went on a ship that had around 700 passengers due to it being shortened by a storm. They gave us on board credits, upgraded cabins and there was 3 employees to every guest. I will say that in all of the years that I have been cruising I have never seen such a big storm heading towards FL.