Hurricane irma....ugh

We were scheduled to sail on the Magic 9/9. We don't plan to go on the rescheduled 3 day cruise leaving on 9/12. Thinking of holding off cancelling until we see how bad things get over the weekend. If they wind up cancelling and offering refund rather than credit towards a future cruise, I'd prefer the refund. Anyone else of this mindset?

That is are plan as well. I feel like Carnival is trying to wait it out and issue fewer cash refunds. They make out better if you take the FCC. We shall see who will win this cat and mouse game. So far, its not looking good for Carnival!

We were scheduled to sail on the Magic 9/9. We don't plan to go on the rescheduled 3 day cruise leaving on 9/12. Thinking of holding off cancelling until we see how bad things get over the weekend. If they wind up cancelling and offering refund rather than credit towards a future cruise, I'd prefer the refund. Anyone else of this mindset?

Ditto. I haven't rescheduled any travel in hopes that either the storm won't be as damaging and we can still leave or they cancel altogether.

That is are plan as well. I feel like Carnival is trying to wait it out and issue fewer cash refunds. They make out better if you take the FCC. We shall see who will win this cat and mouse game. So far, its not looking good for Carnival!

according to john heald facebook page:

We are getting a lot of calls for a refund and our company has made the decision that a full refund is not an option at this time. Calling in will not change that decision. This may seem harsh or something you do not agree with but for now I would ask that if that’s what you are calling for to please not to and if you need to ask a question about this then I will be here next week to listen and help when I can. By the way, I have been asked to mention that the other cruise lines are all doing the same.

according to john heald facebook page:

I completely understand that Carnival is trying to look out for the best interests of all and have not called to request a refund rather than a credit. However, I hope that if other cruises have to be completely cancelled, they will follow what they've done for other cancelled cruises and offer refunds.

Except it isn't a game. It is the way the industry has evolved to operate after decades of experience with situations like this. If they can actually get a cruise together that fits within the parameters explicitly outlined in the contract, then that's precisely what they intend to do. That's why the contract is worded that way.

Two hot tips that I heard on the news one was bring cash if you're stuck in Florida and you don't have cash you may be in big trouble because they'll be no electricity for the ATMs. Also Airbnb has an emergency response protocol they they have initiated for travelers where you can get emergency shelter while traveling home which is very cool. So if you're returning from a cruise and a dump you off in Florida these tips good be helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Except it isn't a game. It is the way the industry has evolved to operate after decades of experience with situations like this. If they can actually get a cruise together that fits within the parameters explicitly outlined in the contract, then that's precisely what they intend to do. That's why the contract is worded that way.

I don't have a problem with a change. My problem lies with them not taking into consideration the possible damage these ports may sustain after this storm. How do they expect to get people on the ship if these ports aren't open or if there are no flights into Fl.

I don't have a problem with a change. My problem lies with them not taking into consideration the possible damage these ports may sustain after this storm. How do they expect to get people on the ship if these ports aren't open or if there are no flights into Fl.

Flights have never been a concern of Carnival's. It is the passenger's responsibility to get to the port, always has been.

However, if the port is damaged badly enough, Carnival won't have a choice. Once the weather reaches a certain severity the Coast Guard takes over the port, making decisions on the operational nature on it, and who gets to come and go, until such time as the weather improves or, in the event of damage, repairs have been made to their satisfaction.

Carnival is just waiting and biding their time, not cancelling cruises so they don't have to pay out refunds. They would rather alter the cruise, giving people the options of cruise credits. That or, have the Coast Guard declare the port closed and cruises cancelled so they can point fingers and say "Hey, not our fault, we didn't have a choice".

Edited by latitude918

I don't have a problem with a change. My problem lies with them not taking into consideration the possible damage these ports may sustain after this storm.
Why would even suggest that thy aren't taking that into consideration? That's nonsense and just put it aside. Of course they're taking the condition of the ports into consideration.

How do they expect to get people on the ship if these ports aren't open or if there are no flights into Fl.
The ports will be open when they embark the cruise. They figure that will be next Tuesday or Wednesday. That's the current plan. If the plan changes, then the cruise lines will adjust to the change.

The flights aren't the cruise line's concern. The contract very clearly makes that the passenger's responsibility. They do this to keep the cruise fares low. If they had to eat the cost of customer acquisition for the whole cruise because the airlines couldn't get their act together than the cruises wouldn't be as affordable and we customers, you and I, would punish the cruise lines that did that. And remember, not everyone flies to the port.

It is awful that companies only think of the bottom line. Would they tell there loved ones if they are going to cancel? I hope people who have flights on the way in can get a hotel room if cruise is canceled. And no I don't have a cruise , but I care about everyone going through all this mess on land or on a ship. Flame away

The other consideration is the employees of Carnival that work at the port. Sure, the storm will be gone by Monday and there might even be incremental returns to normalcy , but isn't it reasonable to believe that the employees, whom Carnival claims to be so concerned about, might not be able to work for a few days or longer.

The other consideration is the employees of Carnival that work at the port. Sure, the storm will be gone by Monday and there might even be incremental returns to normalcy , but isn't it reasonable to believe that the employees, whom Carnival claims to be so concerned about, might not be able to work for a few days or longer.
I'm detecting a little customer-'splaining. Why don't we let those people speak for themselves instead of reverse engineering what you may want their perspective to be on this so that it supports your opinion about what the cruise line should do?

Here's one indication of how Carnival is regarded as an employer: http://www.vault.com/company-profiles/travel-leisure/carnival-corporation/company-overview

#6 employer in T&L sector in the country. Pretty good.

Carnival actually has a "Carnival Employee Evacuation Cruise". The Enchantment of the Seas sailing was cancelled so they offered employees and their families to evacuate via the ship. The ship will return when it is safe to do so. Not that they won't need time to tend to their homes and such afterwards but I thought it was great of Carnival to do that.

Washington Post‏Verified account @washingtonpost

Florida airports announce closures ahead of Hurricane Irma

September 8 at 1:37 PM

With fresh reports that Hurricane Irma is likely to make landfall in Florida on Sunday, more airports around the state are preparing to close down. The rush to get out is only intensifying as forecasters continue to warn that Irma will be a hurricane of epic proportions unlike anything that has hit the United States in recent memory. Airports urged travelers to arrive early and be prepared for long lines.

Key West International Airport closed Wednesday night and said all commercial flights would be suspended until further notice. St. Petersburg-Clearwater International Airport closed Friday. Airports in Orlando, Tampa and Fort Lauderdale also said they would cease commercial operations starting Saturday. Other airports, including Miami International and Palm Beach International, said they are continuing to monitor conditions.

Officials at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport said they will close Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 9 and 10. The airport’s 14,500 parking spaces are full, and officials continue to urge people to find other parking at other off-site locations or find other ways to get to Fort Lauderdale if they are planning to leave on Friday.

Orlando International Airport will end commercial operations at 5 p.m. on Saturday, officials said, noting that the last time the airport was closed to commercial traffic was during Hurricane Matthew in October 2016. Officials at Tampa International Airport also will end commercial operations at 8 p.m. on Saturday.

We will cease commercial airline operations at @FlyTPA at 8 pm Saturday. Check with your airline for details on specific flights. pic.twitter.com/M6IM0Fqwzf

— Tampa Intl Airport (@FlyTPA) September 8, 2017

More than 1,500 flights were canceled Friday, according to FlightAware.com, including nearly 600 into and out of Miami International Airport. American Airlines, which has a hub in Miami had previously announced it would end operations Friday evening.

Officials at Southwest Airlines also said they will cancel all flights to and from Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach airports beginning Friday evening; Flights to and from Orlando will stop in the afternoon on Saturday. The cancellations will extend through at least Sunday. In Tampa, the airline will cancel service Saturday evening through Sunday; all of Southwest’s flights scheduled for Friday and Saturday to Nassau, the Bahamas and Havana have been canceled.

Flights to San Juan, Puerto Rico and Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, scheduled for Friday, have also been halted. The airline said it may resume service to Punta Cana on Saturday and restart service to San Juan when conditions permit.

Airport officials across Florida cautioned people against using airports as hurricane shelters. Fort Lauderdale will offer shuttle service starting Friday afternoon to transport travelers unable to fly out to a hurricane shelter at a nearby elementary school.

pic.twitter.com/wDVRPazkkw

— Ft. Laude-Hlwd Int'l (@FLLFlyer) September 8, 2017

Airlines, including JetBlue, Delta, American and United this week added flights and said they would cap fares for those fleeing the hurricane zone. The move came after complaints earlier this week of astronomically high fares for one-way tickets out of several Florida cities.

While there were long lines at airports there was only one major incident reported. At Miami International Airport, police shot a man who entered a restricted area and then managed to get on the tarmac Thursday night. Authorities said the man was acting erratically and also had a knife.

Parking garages at Miami International Airport were also full.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...daa9&tid=sm_tw

Taking the Paradise out of Tampa on 9/11. Delta canceled our Sunday noon flight into

TPA. We changed it to JAX arriving at 11:20, then renting a car to drove to TPA (always like getting to port a day early).

I'm surprised how negative people are about how CCL is handling things. I see no problem with a Monday departure from TPA. Looking forward to our B2B2B on the Paradise!

I'm surprised how negative people are about how CCL is handling things.
There are always a number of people who post very negative things about all the cruise lines when there is a hurricane. It's been going on for longer than I've been here.

Carnival doesn't either create or control hurricanes or airlines. They do control the operations of the 106 cruise ships they operate in their 10 brands. Considering the juggling they have had to do since Harvey, and the fact that all Carribean and Mexican and American port berths are reserved up to two years in advance, I'd say that Carnival is doing a great job.

Carnival should have done what Royal Caribbean has done. RC invited their employees and their families to board a ship and are taking them "out of harms way."