What preparations are needed for cruising? Insurance, Passports, etc.

After our recent extended cruise on Liberty of the Seas from Galveston, from August 20 into September, I decided to write a list of things to remember and do before and when you cruise or travel. I may add on to this as time moves along.

1. Have trip insurance. Purchase trip insurance for cruises/travel. It’s not only for cancellation of a cruise, but for the unforeseen, which can be any of many things. We have seen someone who is a thirty something have a heart attack onboard, and on our cruise, three people were taken by ambulance from the ship to hospitals. We had been at sea ten days (7 night cruise) at the point we were able to get into port. I do not know the condition they were in.

People had to pay to fly home from Miami if there was no reason for them to go back to Galveston. Travel insurance will pay for that. NOTE: RC insurance will NOT pay for insurance reimbursement for interrupted flights if you are not booked with their air2sea program. Independent air is not covered with their insurance, or change fees, etc. READ your policy well. Have coverage from the time you leave your house until you expect to return to your house. All policies are not equal. READ THOROUGHLY. Trip insurance is also needed if you were like folks from the August 27 cruise who were stranded in Galveston or Houston when the storm hit, and their cruise was canceled. Extra days of rooms, food, would have been covered.

2. Get a passport. Many people on our sailing traveled with a birth certificate and drivers license. That method of cruising is meant for “closed loop” cruises, meaning you embark and disembark at the same port, in this case, Galveston. We had many onboard headed for Galveston that could not disembark in Miami. In today’s world, do not be out of the country without a passport, which is the USA’s official documentation. The US is about the only country around that doesn’t require a passport for travel.

3. Take way more medicine with you than you need. Many people, even me, only took meds for 9-10 days. We had 11 days. We arrived in Miami on Day 10, and it was very stressful that day to get off the ship, having already contacted doctors and pharmacies at home to transfer meds that we could pick up in Miami. One family had a large taxi bill traveling to the Children’s hospital there, as regular drugstores did not have the seizure meds their child required. We always take more with us overseas, but it never occurred to me to take more than 11 days of meds on a 7 night cruise. Never again will that happen.

4. Do not travel without additional funds in cash or access to them via credit/debit card. We had several unforeseen expenses that had to be paid as incurred, even if travel insurance was going to cover them. Many had brought cash to pay their account, and they had additional expenses onboard after our 7 days. They kept calling names for people to come to guest services, which often means your funds are depleted. Things like alcohol packages were good for 7 days. They did offer them at half price. Even people who saw the ship’s doctor for their meds had to pay for the medical visit and meds on their bill. We were able to use our insurance in Miami, so we were only out co-pays and a $45 cab ride. A doctor’s visit and getting meds onboard can run $100 to $300 or more.

I may add more to this later. Karen

After our recent extended cruise on Liberty of the Seas from Galveston, from August 20 into September, I decided to write a list of things to remember and do before and when you cruise or travel. I may add on to this as time moves along.

1. Have trip insurance. Purchase trip insurance for cruises/travel. It’s not only for cancellation of a cruise, but for the unforeseen, which can be any of many things. We have seen someone who is a thirty something have a heart attack onboard, and on our cruise, three people were taken by ambulance from the ship to hospitals. We had been at sea ten days (7 night cruise) at the point we were able to get into port. I do not know the condition they were in.

People had to pay to fly home from Miami if there was no reason for them to go back to Galveston. Travel insurance will pay for that. NOTE: RC insurance will NOT pay for insurance reimbursement for interrupted flights if you are not booked with their air2sea program. Independent air is not covered with their insurance, or change fees, etc. READ your policy well. Have coverage from the time you leave your house until you expect to return to your house. All policies are not equal. READ THOROUGHLY. Trip insurance is also needed if you were like folks from the August 27 cruise who were stranded in Galveston or Houston when the storm hit, and their cruise was canceled. Extra days of rooms, food, would have been covered.

2. Get a passport. Many people on our sailing traveled with a birth certificate and drivers license. That method of cruising is meant for “closed loop” cruises, meaning you embark and disembark at the same port, in this case, Galveston. We had many onboard headed for Galveston that could not disembark in Miami. In today’s world, do not be out of the country without a passport, which is the USA’s official documentation. The US is about the only country around that doesn’t require a passport for travel.

3. Take way more medicine with you than you need. Many people, even me, only took meds for 9-10 days. We had 11 days. We arrived in Miami on Day 10, and it was very stressful that day to get off the ship, having already contacted doctors and pharmacies at home to transfer meds that we could pick up in Miami. One family had a large taxi bill traveling to the Children’s hospital there, as regular drugstores did not have the seizure meds their child required. We always take more with us overseas, but it never occurred to me to take more than 11 days of meds on a 7 night cruise. Never again will that happen.

4. Do not travel without additional funds in cash or access to them via credit/debit card. We had several unforeseen expenses that had to be paid as incurred, even if travel insurance was going to cover them. Many had brought cash to pay their account, and they had additional expenses onboard after our 7 days. They kept calling names for people to come to guest services, which often means your funds are depleted. Things like alcohol packages were good for 7 days. They did offer them at half price. Even people who saw the ship’s doctor for their meds had to pay for the medical visit and meds on their bill. We were able to use our insurance in Miami, so we were only out co-pays and a $45 cab ride. A doctor’s visit and getting meds onboard can run $100 to $300 or more.

I may add more to this later. Karen

This is such great information, Karen. Thanks for taking the time to list these out for everyone. Many often learn the hard way, but hopefully those that read your post will be more prepared for the unexpected.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is such great information, Karen. Thanks for taking the time to list these out for everyone. Many often learn the hard way, but hopefully those that read your post will be more prepared for the unexpected.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks, I hope so. It was so stressful last week seeing people who weren't prepared for travel. We always have insurance, passports and extra money. I didn't have but 11 days of meds for a 7 night cruise. Lesson learned!

Probably one of the most important and informative post ever made to CC. I was just thinking today of the RX issue for our upcoming Oasis cruise. I usually take 2-3 days extra, but I'm re-thinking that amount. You clearly answered the reoccurring "Do I need a passport?" question.

Probably one of the most important and informative post ever made to CC. I was just thinking today of the RX issue for our upcoming Oasis cruise. I usually take 2-3 days extra, but I'm re-thinking that amount. You clearly answered the reoccurring "Do I need a passport?" question.

Thanks! We had 11 days on us and got to Miami with one day left and three days to get back to Galveston if the port was open. We called our pharmacist and doctor and had scrips sent to a Walgreens and then we didn't get off the ship when projected. It was very stressful, and could have been alleviated by taking a few more tablets. We always take full bottles with us to cruise from Europe. Never again will this happen to me. Lesson learned.

I would also recommend that if it's too late for you to get travel insurance with RC, check with your credit card you paid off your cruise with. Mine offers travel insurance automatically on flights and travel as long as you paid for the trip entirely with the credit card.

2. Get a passport. Many people on our sailing traveled with a birth certificate and drivers license. That method of cruising is meant for “closed loop” cruises, meaning you embark and disembark at the same port, in this case, Galveston. We had many onboard headed for Galveston that could not disembark in Miami...

I know this is what they say, but do you know for a fact that U.S. citizens without passports were denied entry to the U.S. in Miami? I've certainly acknowledged the warnings, and why it is best to have a passport, but I'm interested to know if this was truly the case. Similarly, has anyone ever had to leave a ship in a foreign port and fly home, and actually been denied entry due to lack of a passport?

I know this is what they say, but do you know for a fact that U.S. citizens without passports were denied entry to the U.S. in Miami? I've certainly acknowledged the warnings, and why it is best to have a passport, but I'm interested to know if this was truly the case. Similarly, has anyone ever had to leave a ship in a foreign port and fly home, and actually been denied entry due to lack of a passport?

Yes, I know some that were told they couldn't leave the ship. Today I heard that someone was allowed to leave in Miami, but other family members had passports. Better not to be in that situation period.

I am very surprised that no exception was made for those travelling on birth certificates and picture IDs. There have been exceptions made in the past, not sure why this was any different. How did you know there were many that couldn't disembark in Miami? I wonder how many there were.

Because people that dined with us shared it!

It's always been my understanding that a US Citizen cannot be refused entry to the US once they are within US Jurisdiction even without a passport.

Because people that dined with us shared it!

Hopefully the cruise line told everyone who wasn't going to be allowed to disembark prior to arriving in Miami. It would be awful to make flight arrangements to fly home from Miami and then find our last second that you couldn't leave the ship until it returned to Galveston.

Hopefully the cruise line told everyone who wasn't going to be allowed to disembark prior to arriving in Miami. It would be awful to make flight arrangements to fly home from Miami and then find our last second that you couldn't leave the ship until it returned to Galveston.

There were a lot of people not listening last week. People were told not to book flights before 7 pm. In the middle of the day a guy says, well, we made ours for 5. People were still going through immigration at 5.

I would also recommend that if it's too late for you to get travel insurance with RC, check with your credit card you paid off your cruise with. Mine offers travel insurance automatically on flights and travel as long as you paid for the trip entirely with the credit card.

Would you mind letting us know which credit card this is? Looking for a new credit card and this is definitely sounds like a good perk!

It's always been my understanding that a US Citizen cannot be refused entry to the US once they are within US Jurisdiction even without a passport.

You might be correct with valid proof of citizenship. But I bet you get the 2-3 hour interview and extra special search. Actually, I will be at the SFO CBP office on Friday and if I remember I will ask one of the CBP officers.

There were a lot of people not listening last week. People were told not to book flights before 7 pm. In the middle of the day a guy says, well, we made ours for 5. People were still going through immigration at 5.

Not a good choice. Too many unknowns.

Your list of things to remember is helpful, lots of people don't think things through and risk too much. My DH travels a lot for work and left on a two day business trip that turned into ten days a few years back and was caught in the same medication predicament that you encountered. He had extra with him but not ten days worth. Lesson learned and we know travel with full bottles, always.

I for the life of me can't figure out why so many people are so reluctant to get a passport.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Me either. It isn't as difficult now. Download the form, get a photo made at Walgreens and turn it in at a local post office.

I can't imagine being anywhere outside the US without the document preferred by my country, especially in these times.

Would you mind letting us know which credit card this is? Looking for a new credit card and this is definitely sounds like a good perk!

Sure, I have a CitiBank AAdvantage card. American Airlines has a hub in Philadelphia so I get the most use out of it. There is an annual fee, but last year I called to cancel it and they offered a credit to my account if I stayed.

Fortunately, I haven't had to use it yet, but my cruise to the Caribbean is in less than two weeks so I wanted to make sure I had all the information I needed before I board in case something does happen.

Sure, I have a CitiBank AAdvantage card. American Airlines has a hub in Philadelphia so I get the most use out of it. There is an annual fee, but last year I called to cancel it and they offered a credit to my account if I stayed.

Fortunately, I haven't had to use it yet, but my cruise to the Caribbean is in less than two weeks so I wanted to make sure I had all the information I needed before I board in case something does happen.

Would you be specific as to what coverages you get with that? Some CCs provide some coverage but aren't comprehensive.

Would you be specific as to what coverages you get with that? Some CCs provide some coverage but aren't comprehensive.

Sure, I haven't had to test this out yet, so I don't have personal experience, but it's suppose to be as long as your entire trip is on the card, you get up to $5k per a person. There are several covered reasons but the weather related are:

■ Severe weather or natural disaster causes all travel to or from theCovered Traveler’s Trip destination to stop for at least 24 hours.

■ A mandatory evacuation is ordered by a government or publicsafety agency at the Covered Traveler’s Trip destination.

They will cover:

■ Unused tickets

■ Change fees

■ Unused travel expenses like a hotel stay

■ Expenses like accommodations or meals that were occurred during an interruption in the trip

They also have stuff like lost or delayed luggage coverage and delayed trip coverage.