Beware Beware Of Giving Your Cabin #

IvesGrandmama

:mad: Will be posting on two boards.Never give your cabin number out on these boards. Booked on the Freedom.

My cabin I think she said was cancelled around 1 today and someone had booked it by 1:30

I check my reservation often to see if price difference. Well what do I find out but SOMEONE has cancelled my reservations.

Spoke with a wonderful and helpful lady at RCCL for about 45 minutes tonight.

Will never give my cabin number out again. It happen now I have rebooked and well satified but wouldn't I have been in a mess if I hadn't been checking prices

How did giving your cabin number here result in someone cancelling your reservation? Mine used to be in my signature (had to eliminate when I changed countdown clocks because of length) and I have given it freely on our roll call. But no one here knows my real name, or who my TA is. So how could someone use just TidePrideGA and Cabin 8090 to cancel my reservation? :confused:

I have no idea but mine was cancelled.

The lady at RCCL told me its happens people call in and say I need to cancel. GIve cabin number and date.

I don't know what happen but my cabin on the Freedom was gone

But like I said RCCL helped me with a new cabin.

I guess if your identify can be stolen your cabin also can be gone. I just want people to beware that it can happen. I have posted on these boards for a long time under different names so its not just a first time post.

I want to thank RCCL for helping me with this. THe lady said that RCCL does read these boards.

Have you ever been on line on the ship. Look at the bottom when you sign in. What's at the bottom. The web site for Cruise Critic and a few others.

OMG - Thank goodness you caught that!!

I don't understand either how someone could have access to having that power from here...?? I know when I call to check on pricing with CCL, I have to give them my name and booking number and then a pin number. Maybe RCCL needs to have a more secure system in place so no Joe Schmoe can cancel anyone's reservation...??

I'm very surprised that a cruiseline will cancel a reservation without something in writing, signed by the passenger requesting cancellation. I have had two cancel 2 cruises and my TA would not forward my request to the cruiseline without a letter signed by me and stating a reason for the request. Maybe some cruiselines and/or TA's are not as stringent as others!

I also find it unlikely that someone could cancel your reservation with just a cabin number. The Cruise line would need at minimum the name of the person canceling along with the reservation number. It is possible that the reservation had been canceled due to a glitch in the reseravation or if the deposit was not made in a timely fashion.

Ironically, I wanted to check my immigration forms today, and was quite surprised when HAL's website advised me that "this reservation has been canceled." Ok. Computer systems can have their bad days too, so I tried again. My second attempt was successful. A quick call to customer service (to be extra certain) confirmed we will indeed be sailing next week.

To use a hotel as an analogy. Say someone really likes room 2412 and they call the hotel and say I'm booked in room 2412 and want to cancel (so they can call back and book it for themselves). There is NO WAY any hotel would entertain this without a name. I doubt a cruise line would do so either.

:mad: Will be posting on two boards.Never give your cabin number out on these boards. Booked on the Freedom.
How in the world could this happen? I mean, if all you need is a cabin number, then I could find one from a ship's deck plan! It's also easy to find Sundays on the calendar, so I could easily claim that I'm booked on ship XXX, cabin XXX, week XXX.

Additionally, if the person's looking to steal your cabin (and I can't imagine any other reason any stranger would do it), wouldn't it be easy to figure out the thief's name? The customer service person could just see who has booked the cabin.

I think someone in customer service dropped the ball, and they're making this up as an excuse for it to be "your fault".

My cabin I think she said was cancelled around 1 today and someone had booked it by 1:30

I check my reservation often to see if price difference. Well what do I find out but SOMEONE has cancelled my reservations.

Spoke with a wonderful and helpful lady at RCCL for about 45 minutes tonight.

Will never give my cabin number out again. It happen now I have rebooked and well satified but wouldn't I have been in a mess if I hadn't been checking prices

Highly unlikely :rolleyes:

It might be highly unlightly but it happen and my money was paid back in August thur RCCL. Was given credit back on credit card.

Was not trying to start a flaming just was trying to make others aware. No problem for me now.

The impossible can be possible.

IvesGrandmama, I haven't seen a single post in this thread that was a flame or intended as one. I'm very sorry if you took it that way. However, just as you tried to be generous and warn people of what you thought occurred (giving your cabin number out here), the rest of us are trying to say that it is virtually impossible for that to have happened that way.

We don't doubt for one second that your cabin was cancelled. However, you can rest pretty much 100% assured it didn't happen because you told someone here your cabin number. It just doesn't work that way... unless you also told someone your full name, booking number and were not using a TA or were using an impersonal TA who didn't know you and also gave out that information to someone here.

The most likely scenario is that someone at RCCL accidentally cancelled your reservation and they're just not admitting that.

As you say, though, all's well that ends well.

• Administrators

It is always a good idea to keep extremely personal information to yourself when posting on Internet Message boards, even here on Cruise Critic where we strive to provide a safe haven on the web.

One can never be too careful.

That said, if your reservation was cancelled without anyone providing a booking reservation ID number to Royal Caribbean....I'd say the mistake was on their end. I'm glad they were able to fix the error to your liking.

Laura

It is always a good idea to keep extremely personal information to yourself when posting on Internet Message boards, even here on Cruise Critic where we strive to provide a safe haven on the web.

One can never be too careful.

That said, if your reservation was cancelled without anyone providing a booking reservation ID number to Royal Caribbean....I'd say the mistake was on their end. I'm glad they were able to fix the error to your liking.

Laura

I think Laura here said it best. I know on another forum here-I got a person mad at me andshe/he complained that I kept myself anyomous-I could not see why this person would care unless this person wanted to stalk me.

Now I do not intend to flame people against me but it does happen-some people just do not like others who express an opinion differant from theirs-so I think it IS wise to keep yourself anyomous and not give out too much info about yourself.

I'm not sure about the whole cabin number thing...not sure how that could happen that your reservation would just be cancelled like that. But I do know that I would never give out my cabin number on here BEFORE my cruise. I mean, it's all nice and fun to 'talk' to everyone on here, but the bottom line is I don't really KNOW any of you! What is wrong with being anonymous on the internet? With all the identity theft and stalkers out there today, I want to have control over who I meet, when, where...etc...

I heard on another board that some young girls found out personal information about someone that made them angry and they managed to find out where the person lived and their phone number. I don't think so!!!:eek: Keep personal info to yourself on the internet...it's the safe thing to do!

I heard on another board that some young girls found out personal information about someone that made them angry and they managed to find out where the person lived and their phone number. I don't think so!!!

Part of my job involves checking information to verify what we broadcast on the news. If I can find out something about you, any little smidgen of info, I can often use that to learn a lot. In about five minutes, maybe less. Not sure if the girls really did what they said (and I have my doubts), but it's quite possible. We are very discreet, using it only to verify quotes or sources.

I'm booked on the 4-22-06 JOS, and received a call two months ago from my TA saying that my booking and cabin had been cancelled. I had faxed and e-mailed confirmation in hand! Also had the deposit charge on my CC statement. It turns out that it was RCI's fault. But - I had to re-book and re-deposit. (This is a CruiseCritic group cruise, BTW.) I personally think this is an RCI problem. I posted my cabin# on the group board, but that's it. I also work as a part-time TA, and can tell you that there is no way a third party could just "cancel" your booking without a reservation#, full names of passengers, and CC information. I had a long talk with an RCI supervisor about this, and was told there was no reason for my cancellation, other than their screw-up.

The problem is likely with RCI very unlikely someone who pretended to be you. Remember according to your description they said "SOMEONE" canceled your reservation. If someone was pretending to be you then they would have said "You called in and canceled your reservation". Given how accomidating they were I am pretty sure RCI knew it was their internal fault. If it was someone faking to be you they would probably be a bit more suspicious.

It is extreamly unlikely that someone would fraudulently cancel your reservation, you have to talk to a customer service representative, your voice would be recorded (For quality control purposes etc...) and whenever you call an 800 number the phone number is given out (even if it is set to be blocked). And this does not even take into account the fact that RCI will most likely require more information then someone would have.

Its very easy for someone at RCI working with the computer to accidentally type 8446 when they meant 5446 and result in the wrong person being canceled.

Most likely given how common this seems to be (accidental cancellations) RCI should make a policy of contacting the primary travel agent or individual who made the booking independently 24 hours later before processing cancellations to avoid these types of accidents.

We had booked back to back cruises, one ship - short cruise, one a week on another, both NCL. I got a call from NCL a few years back two days before we were to go. They had to cancel our short cruise as it was overbooked! Can't remember the name of the longer cruise cruise ship - it was the oldest NCL ship, one that had the explosion and is now a hotel or something in Europe. Anyway after a few phone calls and demands we got ALL money back includuing port taxes (she didn't want to do that at first) for the short cruise and we missed that one but were moved from an inside to a balcony cabin at no extra cost on the then new Sun!.

Can't remember the name of the longer cruise cruise ship - it was the oldest NCL ship, one that had the explosion and is now a hotel or something in Europe. Anyway

The ship you are referring to is the Norway. I was right next to her on Voyager of the Seas when she had her explosion. Scary and sad day. She's now in Asia and is rumored for the scrap heap. She definitely is not in use at the moment.

Archived