Why would you use a travel agent to book a cruise?

Lou2204

I've known my TA for over 20 years and are also friends with her. I would rather her make a bit of commission rather than give it to the cruise line. She has always gotten us better pricing than what the cruise lines have quoted directly, and generally we receive some onboard credit or other promos from her. Our next cruise we're getting $250 OBC. $50 from Royal Caribbean and $200 from our TA. She also as able to book us a better cabin than what RCI was offering. There's nothing wrong with not using a TA in the least.

We view a cruise as a commodity. Does not matter if you book with the cruise line or a TA...the product is identical.

So we go with a TA simply because it is less expensive, ie our net cost is decreased because our TA extends discounts to us in the form of OBC's.

Why on earth would we pay more for the identical product if the booking service/process is essentially the same.

We have as much control over our booking with a TA as we do if we book direct with the cruise line. Plus...we have the advantage of dealing with a third party should we have a dispute with the cruise line. A paid cruise line employee will represent his or her's employers interests (cruise line) before representing our interests.

We view a cruise as a commodity. Does not matter if you book with the cruise line or a TA...the product is identical.

So we go with a TA simply because it is less expensive, ie our net cost is decreased because our TA extends discounts to us in the form of OBC's.

Why on earth would we pay more for the identical product if the booking service/process is essentially the same.

We have as much control over our booking with a TA as we do if we book direct with the cruise line. Plus...we have the advantage of dealing with a third party should we have a dispute with the cruise line. A paid cruise line employee will represent his or her's employers interests (cruise line) before representing our interests.

Really well said and I concur completely. I actually met my TA on a cruise a number of years ago and have used her ever since. She is available 24/7 and answers my questions, always, within 24 hrs. The extra OBC from her is nice and when booking she already knows the type of cabin I prefer and location on the ship. She always looks for best discounts and can often pull me into her booking group for additional savings.

I have also helped her, in return, by giving complete reviews. Just sent her my review of Windstar Spirit cruise out of Tahiti. She was over thrilled with my review and cabin pictures because she had two clients waiting to hear about the trip and they both booked after she sent them my review.

Yes, I've taken enough cruises to book my own (always book my own private tours) but, having a good TA makes cruising even easier. :)

Just wondering, as I see many people referring to TA's, what are the advantages of using a TA?

Obviously they can do the research, but I do my own reasearch online and prefer to book myself, choosing own cabin etc.

Not sure what a TA would add, can they get better deals for you? Just to double check, I asked a TA for a price on a cruise I was researching online, and they offered the exact same price.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

It is hard to say, for you, since you are in the Netherlands and most of us are not. But in the US market using a TA, even for folks who do their own research, can result in significant savings, either in lower fare, extra OBC, bonus miles, or other perks.

The other thing we do when booking a cruise is to view the price being charged in different countries. There can be, and often are differences. The largest one we experienced was booking an RCI Australia/NZ cruise inside the final payment window. The price we paid, adjusted for currency, when booking directly with RCI in Australia was just under 35 percent less than the price on the RCI North American website. Sister did the same when booking a Baltic cruise in the UK instead of Canada. Fifteen percent saving.

Iancal, is that allowed? I tried once to book an MSC on the US site and it wasn't allowed, had to be American citizen.

Well I spoke at length with a TA yesterday, motivated by all your remarks, even though I have already booked my cruise. Explained the situation, also said we are planning to take many more cruises in the future (we hope!!) and so he offered us ..... nothing.

Yes he would appreciate taking over the booking but we'd have to organize that ourselves, contact NCL and transfer the booking to them. No perks, no discounts, zero. So for now I'm sticking with my direct booking, since we're cruising in Europe and if something happens, we know our way around.

Amazing, huh? I think agencies in the US must be more keen for business or more client focused. Maybe I should try a few others.

Anyway many thanks for all your insights.

So how does this work if you find a better price after you have booked? Will a company be prepared to give you the lower rate, or is it 'tough'. I see so many comments of people changing bookings after booking.

This topic has been discussed ad nauseum. The hard part is finding a good agent. There might be nice perks IF you book a more expensive cabin or cruise.
We booked an inside cabin for our 12-day British isles cruise last month on a Princess ship. Our TA's price was 17 percent less than booking directly with Princess or through one of the major travel websites.

Really well said and I concur completely. I actually met my TA on a cruise a number of years ago and have used her ever since. She is available 24/7 and answers my questions, always, within 24 hrs. The extra OBC from her is nice and when booking she already knows the type of cabin I prefer and location on the ship. She always looks for best discounts and can often pull me into her booking group for additional savings.

I have also helped her, in return, by giving complete reviews. Just sent her my review of Windstar Spirit cruise out of Tahiti. She was over thrilled with my review and cabin pictures because she had two clients waiting to hear about the trip and they both booked after she sent them my review.

Yes, I've taken enough cruises to book my own (always book my own private tours) but, having a good TA makes cruising even easier. :)

If I would find a TA like that, I would never book directly myself ever again.

I really don't think we have TA's like that in my country. :confused:

We simply called the RCI office in Australia and booked direct. They were very aware that we were Canadians. Our profile came up when we provided our account number. The agent saw were were Diamond members and extended the $200. balcony discount. Then he noticed that we were seniors and told us we were eligible for another discount.

We have called the UK, or had them call us back and we have booked various travel products with Co-OP and with Thomson. Last fall we got a much better air price on our air trip to Iguazu by calling the Aerolineas Airlines call certre in Buenos Aires. My sister had no trouble whatsoever booking her Baltic cruise with a UK TA instead of one in Canada or the US. They may tell you you cannot do this. Not certain if they will prevent you from boarding. In the case of Aerolineas used up fifty cents of time on our international calling card (fifteen minutes or so) and saved $100USD on each of the return tickets.

I have been told that there are some US TA's who welcome overseas business. Not certain who they are. Perhaps someone else can help you. The cruise lines do price their product according to the in country market.